Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Audio Flat Sounding From Rear Speakers?

BrandonR24

Jul 30, 2020
Lexington, KY
I could just be going crazy, but I haven't really had the opportunity to sit in another Model 3 to verify what I'm hearing. 2 weeks ago I noticed that music didn't sound as loud behind me, it was working, something didn't seem right though. Brushed it off as later in the day the "fullness" was back, assumed it was something random.
Last week, my speakers all quit working except like 2 in the front. Sounded like an old tiny radio from the 90s. Got home, got out of the car, got in later seemed to be working, but noticed it didn't seem as punchy and full as it. So I slid the balance slider to the back and it seems very flat and not loud at all. Granted I'm using Spotify, but still that's basically all I've used since day 1 and never have noticed the issue (if there is one.). Did some research, saw some people describing kind of what I was experiencing and to "soft reset" the car, by powering off. Did that, waited 5 minutes and hit the break to power on. Didn't work. But got in later and it worked! Figured it sorted out.

Later that day, left again and once again felt like there was no wall of sound behind me. Ugh.

So am I crazy? Is it normally so low sounding back there? Like I hear a bit of bass along with it, so it seems the back speakers are working, it's just missing that full, loud sound I've been loving while rocking out haha. I'm going to include a video, obviously not the best example as it's recorded on a phone, but was wondering if anyone could see what theirs sounds like.

Thanks for any help or answers. My wife thinks I blew my speakers. Haha.

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
I'd start by saying which model you own, because there are 2 different sound systems. The LR and P have the 'premium' one. My 2021 LR has no audio issues, except screeching noises with Tune-In (CNN, specifically), but that's their signal.

TjckTock

Dec 17, 2018
Queen Creek, Arizona
I was experiencing an audio issue yesterday where I had no bass. Even with the lower two ranges cranked all the way up to max I could just barely hear Brian Ritchie carrying the Femmes which is a crime! Was going to submit a service ticket today but now it is back!?. Hopefully just a glitch. @BrandonR24 , are you still experiencing your issues with your rear speakers?

Zacster

Sep 11, 2017
NYC
My guess is that it is on Spotify's end and you are getting such a low bitrate that the bass is compromised. I tried Spotify for about 30 seconds and turned it off. I use Qobuz on my iPhone and stream via Bluetooth. BT itself is not the best solution but it is better than any of the streaming you get in a Tesla. I'm still waiting for true hi-res streaming at the quality my phone can get, but Tesla has managed to make that impossible and I still can't quite figure out why.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
your rear sounds normal.

If you set the sound to rear only you don't get any tweeters producing transients. You just have the bass from the sub and the midrange from the small door woofers. On top of that at low volumes the model 3 has some shitty compressor to compress bass and midrange at lower listening volumes. so the sound will sound like a pancake.

The idea is that the rear passangers get spill from the front and mid tweeters i.e. the left rear passenger can hear the door tweeter via the gap in the seats and the middle tweeter via the space inbetween the seats. But the tweeter on the right door is blocked. So they get a good sense of direction from the sound.

morpheus2969

Jul 13, 2021
Durham, NC
I was experiencing an audio issue yesterday where I had no bass. Even with the lower two ranges cranked all the way up to max I could just barely hear Brian Ritchie carrying the Femmes which is a crime! Was going to submit a service ticket today but now it is back!?. Hopefully just a glitch. @BrandonR24 , are you still experiencing your issues with your rear speakers?
Having the same issue in my wife’s 2021 M3LR. Started happening right after we ran a software update. Coincidence?

BrandonR24

Jul 30, 2020
Lexington, KY
Yo! Sorry I haven't responded. I got in contact with Tesla service and they are coming tomorrow to check my car, but they ordered 2 parts, an audio amplifier and subwoofer. At least that's the email I got from Tesla. I'll probably be able to give you more details tomorrow!

BrandonR24

Jul 30, 2020
Lexington, KY
Update to anyone who is following. Ended up being a short in the amp. Replaced and it sounds like it used to. When I explained what was going on the Tesla service member knew exactly what to check. Hooray! Works beautifully again!

Reactions: TjckTock

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC