TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Australia - Massive Price Cut

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DBPhil, Oct 15, 2020.

1. erosco

erosco Member

Happy to say the price drop was enough for me to sign up :) - Reserved March 31/2016, ordered 17/10/2020.. lol

• Like x 10
    • Love x 2
  2. moa999

moa999 Member

But to date only installed on Model Y's on that TeslaScope page, which I think is why people are saying cars with heat pump only.

• Like x 1
  3. Fazza

Fazza Member

How about the battery...where does it say anything about battery difference ?

4. Brissienew

Brissienew Member

Seems like this is a reaction to the A$'s exchange rate to the USD. I have an SR+, paid a bit under $70K, Qld rego, before the price increase, now it is a bit over $70K. I think it is the same for the P model, this reduced priced P is still a bit more expensive than what it was in 2019.
    I like the old wheels better, the powered boot is nice to have though, so is the thicker window glass. The model 3 is a bit noisy on the freeway, and I don't think it is due to the lack of engine noise.

• Funny x 1
  5. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

This price change brings the price pretty much exactly back to original Model 3 pricing in Australia. The exchange rate increase we had a few months ago hasn't been adjusted back down. The SR+ is still at a $10-12k premium over USA pricing with GST added.
    The car should be around
    AUD $53k + 10% GST + $3k destination/shipping
    Then add registration and stamp duty if applicable in your state (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Somebody should tweet Elon as he may not be aware that Tesla Australia are selling cars at a higher price for no reason that I know of.
    60k AUD + stamp is fair price for an SR+

Model 3 performance and dual motor cars will continue to be made in Freemont CA as will SR+ for the time being but expect all Australian delivered SR to be made in China soon priced around $55k AUD with CATL LFP cells which I would guess have the same range but possibly weigh slightly more. Rear motor cars are quite light in comparison to dual motor larger pack cars so the 20% weight increase of the cells shouldn't be an issue especially with the efficiency of these new cars. The new LFP pack case structure may also be lighter and make the packs equal or closer weight to the old SR.
    Chinese Model 3s are built to the same quality if not better than the US cars and apparently have more sound insulation. We all know cars are rushed out of Freemont to meet deadlines and quarterly delivery numbers and often quality control problems are dealt with at delivery centres so I would believe Chinese factory may have better QC.
    I love the new 3P in black! The wheels look great too

6. matsoutback

matsoutback Member

As a 2.5 month ago purchaser of a performance, this hurts a bit. Love the fact they are less expensive to improve take up, but wow, 10k less now is huge. No so much about resale, although that will be effected heavily for the people who purchased this year, for me the entry price is what really would have mattered. I do much prefer the "old" performance wheels though... my only solace at the moment, and I’ve already saved about 700$ on fuel.

Happy for new group of buyers though.

7. aegidius

aegidius Member

Why a powered boot for that little tiny lid? If it was a bigger bootlid (hatch style more like the S) that would be interesting.

8. matsoutback

matsoutback Member

I wouldn’t mind that, the boot closing seems to take a special touch without it "slamming" in current form.

9. DBPhil

DBPhil Member

I had a quickly look at one of my P+ invoices from the first batch last year and it’s now very slightly under that price (white on white).

The LR surprised me, I never had one on order, but I’m pretty sure it’s never been that low (NSW was early $90ks I believe vs $89k now). Plus it now includes 19” wheels as standard.

10. georgex

georgex New Member

I just picked up my “new” SR+ last weekend :(. Any advice?

11. Fazza

Fazza Member

Enjoy it or take it back.. should be able to get a good trade in for it.. at least 5k more than a new one? :confused:

12. meowsers

meowsers Member

I'm going to trade in my 2019 M3P+ for one of the new ones. Looks nice and I've already gone 24,000km in the current one. The new upgrades will be much appreciated.

13. Fazza

Fazza Member

Could always see if they can throw in fsd? Or unlimited supercharging.. premium connectivity, etc.. they can be fair dinkum about it if U bring it up

14. Tessi Shop AU

Tessi Shop AU Local Vendor - Australia & New Zealand

I agree with you @matsoutback, a $10k price drop is huge and I'd be interested in seeing if this will further drop in the upcoming months within Australia.

Do you think that Australia will introduce subsidies for Electric Cars at some point? So many other countries, including the majority of Europe and USA have it (see here) , so I feel we're still paying quite a premium over here.

15. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

With the current Federal Government? Hell will freeze over first.

16. moa999

moa999 Member

Now that Tesla has used up it's subsidy in the US (was about $7k) we get more here than the US.

Higher LCT limit is worth $3+k per car, Qld/ACT have rego benefits, and then we dont pay the large tax on fuel, which makes running costs much lower

• Like x 2
  17. Fazza

Fazza Member

Very possible that even first batch of 2021 model 3 s will come from GF Shanghai this quarter and none from Fremont for sale to customers in Aus

"Tesla is starting to export made-in-China Model 3 to Europe - Electrek" Tesla is starting to export made-in-China Model 3 to Europe - Electrek

• Informative x 1
  18. moa999

moa999 Member

Wonder whether they will use the CATL batteries in the export models?

19. rioli33

rioli33 Member

The leaked photos of the refresh coming from Fremont had Aussie vins. At least this batch is Fremont but that might be it. They'll probably move the SR+ to China.

20. Fazza

Fazza Member

Interesting do explain more.. Aussie vins as in a range?

Yeah if from Fremont with that spec and price .. a good buy.. folks believe further price drop once from China..but I think this latest price drop is it for now