Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just applied this yesterday used all parts listed by i1tesla for both trunk and frunk.

I quickly undid the frunk because I saw bending on the hood when closing. Used 6304 struts. I don't remember him saying anything about bending on his. Wonder if my pair has a little more gas or whatever makes it more powerful.

Trunk too I'm wondering if I should go back to oem struts. Seems to be a little more force at.the end of the opening and wondering if this will be bad for the mounts as it's a noticable jerk/force.

I removed the washer as I thought mine was bulging out a little where the strut mounts are. Saving a millimeter or two but still notice something.

• Informative
Reactions: kjyam98
Hello... after reading the posts and watch the video install listed.. I didn't see that anyone changed out the top part of the strut. If you view the Tesla strut (it has a slight right angle to it) the ones recommended to install the head mating portion its parallel to the body of the strut. I think it would be best for all doing the actual mod to use/exchange out the mating head of both struts to match the configuration angle of the trunk mounting.

Strut angle.jpg

Hello... after reading the posts and watch the video install listed.. I didn't see that anyone changed out the top part of the strut. If you view the Tesla strut (it has a slight right angle to it) the ones recommended to install the head mating portion its parallel to the body of the strut. I think it would be best for all doing the actual mod to use/exchange out the mating head of both struts to match the configuration angle of the trunk mounting.

View attachment 425665

Why? I have read of precisely zero people experiencing frunk bending or denting. This looks like a solution looking for a problem.

Why? I have read of precisely zero people experiencing frunk bending or denting. This looks like a solution looking for a problem.

CASEMAN | June 4, 2019
@walnotr - You're not alone! I did the same damn thing installing the new struts. When popping in the left side, the metal spring on the right side chipped the bottom part of my glass. I put electrical tape on it for now but am pretty sure I will have a crack in the Fresno heat this summer. I too will pay out of pocket for new.Did the new glass have the same UV coating as the old glass?

walnotr | June 4, 2019
@ODWms- I had a slight misalignment of the trunk lid in the hinge area. It was there from day one and never addressed before. The car was going in for a new bumper cover and I was going to ask for that to be addressed. I didn’t want them to point to the springs and say that was the problem. They adjusted the trunk during the glass replacement. :) I have not put the auto lift struts back on.

Broken rear window | Tesla

CASEMAN | June 4, 2019
@walnotr - You're not alone! I did the same damn thing installing the new struts. When popping in the left side, the metal spring on the right side chipped the bottom part of my glass. I put electrical tape on it for now but am pretty sure I will have a crack in the Fresno heat this summer. I too will pay out of pocket for new.Did the new glass have the same UV coating as the old glass?

walnotr | June 4, 2019
@ODWms- I had a slight misalignment of the trunk lid in the hinge area. It was there from day one and never addressed before. The car was going in for a new bumper cover and I was going to ask for that to be addressed. I didn’t want them to point to the springs and say that was the problem. They adjusted the trunk during the glass replacement. :) I have not put the auto lift struts back on.

Broken rear window | Tesla

Think there was a misunderstanding. I’m talking about the frunk, not trunk. The post before yours was talking about the frunk...