Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 auto-x questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few questions for you guys who are actively autocrossing your TM3s...
  1. How many runs do you typically get in for an entire day? I know "it depends" on the organization, number of people, etc. I haven't been in years, and it used to be borderline not worth it vaporizing an entire Saturday to drive for <5 minutes total, which leads me to...

2. Any venues you've seen with a 240V outlet? Would be awesome to plug in, charge, and watch movies in air conditioning while waiting for your run vs. standing on the sweltering pavement talking to some guy about how nobody wants to race his purple Miata anymore because he's "too fast"

3. If no nearby charging, what's your charging "strategy?" Arrive with as much as possible?

4. How much % does each run consume? I imagine the range in answers here is much "tighter" than a road course

5. Is there a noticeable increase in times as power goes down?

6. What types & sizes of tires are you running & how long do they last?

7. Any need to worry about brakes for auto-x? P3D-

2-3% per run - I always let the brakes drag and regen as much at the end as possible.

4-8 runs depending on course

I usually try to make sure my runs are all at 70% or more and don't notice any drop off in that range (times will get faster as you get used to the course)

As others have said - bring a sprayer for your tires!

I just picked up a pair of 265/35/18 RE71's (they must have been hidden in the corner at discount tire). Coming off of 255/40/18 RE's... The 255's did as well as one would expect but this car requires patience with as much weight and power as it has.

I have installed the unplugged performance Autox street-class legal shocks and was very pleased after my first event with them - I'm hoping these + 265's will help my chances in Super Street this year!

2-3% per run - I always let the brakes drag and regen as much at the end as possible.

4-8 runs depending on course

I usually try to make sure my runs are all at 70% or more and don't notice any drop off in that range (times will get faster as you get used to the course)

As others have said - bring a sprayer for your tires!

I just picked up a pair of 265/35/18 RE71's (they must have been hidden in the corner at discount tire). Coming off of 255/40/18 RE's... The 255's did as well as one would expect but this car requires patience with as much weight and power as it has.

I have installed the unplugged performance Autox street-class legal shocks and was very pleased after my first event with them - I'm hoping these + 265's will help my chances in Super Street this year!

265/35/18? Geez and I thought 255/40/18 were short!

My tire changer guy is not going to like me after these are mounted :oops:

I measured (Forgot the exact numbers) but the shoulders on the 265's are quite large compared to my 255's. I'm hoping they provide a noticeable increase in grip since this thing is so camber challenged!

I'm more thinking about overall tire height and how the Tesla will react, that's an inch shorter than the shortest OEM configuration.

I guess if you're on OEM springs battery height isn't much of a concern (John Laughlin ran 295 Kuhmo ACR's at UMI King of the Mountain and ended up bottoming out the battery coming off of a transition and whacking a few cones but those are even shorter at 24.8")

My tire changer guy is not going to like me after these are mounted :oops:

I measured (Forgot the exact numbers) but the shoulders on the 265's are quite large compared to my 255's. I'm hoping they provide a noticeable increase in grip since this thing is so camber challenged!

I'm more thinking about overall tire height and how the Tesla will react, that's an inch shorter than the shortest OEM configuration.

I guess if you're on OEM springs battery height isn't much of a concern (John Laughlin ran 295 Kuhmo ACR's at UMI King of the Mountain and ended up bottoming out the battery coming off of a transition and whacking a few cones but those are even shorter at 24.8")
Yeah that's 3.8% smaller overall diameter than OE 235/45/18 spec.
People have been reporting their Model 3's traction/stability spazzing out when running such large diameter differences on their cars.

Danny

Yeah that's 3.8% smaller overall diameter than OE 235/45/18 spec.
People have been reporting their Model 3's traction/stability spazzing out when running such large diameter differences on their cars.

Danny
Do you know if the people reporting these issues were running a square setup? I'm wondering why the sensors would spaz out? How do the sensors know what size wheel/tire I'm running? (I can definitely see how it would be a problem if you were running different diameters front vs rear).

Do you know if the people reporting these issues were running a square setup? I'm wondering why the sensors would spaz out? How do the sensors know what size wheel/tire I'm running? (I can definitely see how it would be a problem if you were running different diameters front vs rear).