Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Automatic Garage Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that different to the Homelink version that was standard on earlier cars?

As someone with the Homelink version, be aware that is it not compatible with many garage door and gate openers without an additional compatibility unit that needs fitting to the gate/door controls - likely not possible on communal units. Homelink for Garage Doors and Electric Gates - EasyGates.co.uk

Homelink compatibility guide - https://www.easygates.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/homelink-compatible-remotes-transmitters.pdf iirc Tesla Homelink version is v5

Is that different to the Homelink version that was standard on earlier cars?

As someone with the Homelink version, be aware that is it not compatible with many garage door and gate openers without an additional compatibility unit that needs fitting to the gate/door controls - likely not possible on communal units. Homelink for Garage Doors and Electric Gates - EasyGates.co.uk

Homelink compatibility guide - https://www.easygates.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/homelink-compatible-remotes-transmitters.pdf iirc Tesla Homelink version is v5
It looks the same to me.

Also worth noting that if you have an early LR/Performance Model 3 order then Tesla will retrofit this for free as it should have been included from the factory.

I hid a spare remote under the dash with a push button wired to it and mounted in a blank switch cover in our Prius, Outlander and Ioniq
obviously no blank switches in the M3. I just keep a remote in the cup holder. Surprisingly, I’m happy with that.
it works from 100 metres away at the start of our track. Can’t see me paying that sort of money for something that might or might not work.

We have 3 remotes to juggle and unfortunately, even with the Homelink adaptor, still have 3 remotes to juggle as non of the remotes work with the car - well, one does, but I suspect its a rolling code as it will open once, then won't work again until reprogrammed. So yea, Tesla unit is incompatible with 3/3 devices.

I hid a spare remote under the dash with a push button wired to it and mounted in a blank switch cover in our Prius, Outlander and Ioniq
obviously no blank switches in the M3. I just keep a remote in the cup holder. Surprisingly, I’m happy with that.
it works from 100 metres away at the start of our track. Can’t see me paying that sort of money for something that might or might not work.
Years ago I wired a remote for the garage into my car's main beam circuit so flash the headlights and it "pressed" the button on the remote for me - needed a bit of soldering and wire running but worked really well (remote was 12V)

Just to provide a counter "happy" point into this thread. I've had Homelink installed on both of my Model 3s and have been very happy with it. We have a Chamberlain ML700EVGB model and it works absolutely fine out of the box without any adaptors or additional items required. I just went through the pairing process like I did when I added a new fob and an outdoor number pad and it worked the first time on both cars.

I bought the opener in 2013 but it looks like the model is still for sale. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EYYAHF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hate having openers rattling around so this was a good alternative. I've also set it in the car to auto open as I approach and fold my wing mirrors as we have a typically narrow garage door (double garage so plenty of room inside - don't ask me whey they insisted on two small dogs instead of one big one!). It will also then automatically close the door as I back out of the driveway. Necessary? No. But it is convenient, especially when you're focussing on backing out and have kids demanding attention in the car. It's one less thing to think about.

I just bought one of these (though it cost less than £30 at the time) and use Siri to open / close it as I'm driving. Works flawlessly.

Has the added benefit of telling you if your door is open or closed so no 4am anxiety thinking you left it open...