Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 automatically steers away from car very close to my left rear quarter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

(No, I don’t have Sentry Mode video of this, no USB drive in the car at the moment)

Was on a local freeway in my Model 3 (firmware 2019.32.2.2), two lanes each direction, on NOA at about 60mph in the right lane, one hand on the wheel, and slowing gradually due to traffic ahead of me in my lane. I do not recall any vehicles close behind me. Speed limit on this section of Highway 92 in San Mateo just west of South El Camino Real road is 55mph.

Suddenly the car alerts with the noise that Auto Pilot users know means “take control now!”. A small fraction of a second later, before I could take any action, my car moved at least two feet to the right, probably very close to the edge of the lane (I didn’t perceive it going out of the lane I was in) and then I saw in the rear view mirror a large SUV extremely close to me and moving to my left. As I switched to the drivers side mirror and turned the wheel a bit more to the right the SUV passed me on the left in a fraction of a second. It was moving much faster than I was.

My perception was that the SUV had come extremely close to my left rear, and that my car had made a significant steering correction to move me to the right well before I could have reacted to the audible alert.

My Model 3 may well have prevented a collision. My guess is the SUV driver came up fast behind me, not paying attention, and had to swerve to the left to avoid hitting me.

I was very impressed with how the car handled the situation. Wish I had video of it.

Note: none of the Auto Pilot settings in Controls would have anything to do with how my car reacted to this situation. This had nothing to do with Automatically Emergency Braking, Emergency Lane Avoidance, Forward Collision warning, etc. This was simply the car steering away from an impending collision. I do not know if it calculated there was a possible collision situation using just cameras, just ultrasonic sensors, or a combination of both.

Note: none of the Auto Pilot settings in Controls would have anything to do with how my car reacted to this situation. This had nothing to do with Automatically Emergency Braking, Emergency Lane Avoidance, Forward Collision warning, etc.

Sure it does. Side collision avoidance is a basic safety feature on all model 3s...there's some videos out there of it in action

My car has done that emergency aural warning and thrown up a "Potential Colision Detected: Corrective Steering Applied" message twice now while driving manually with no other cars around. Latest being yesterday. I did have the presence of mind to hit the save button on the dash cam icon, then press and hold the right steering wheel button and stated, "Bug report, inappropriate potential collision message" for yesterday's event.

It's nice to know that it's not an autopilot-only feature. I just wish it wouldn't activate when there's no other cars around. :)