Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot 2.5 vs Model S Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my P3D- for a few days but long enough to notice some autopilot quirks between it and my Model S 90D which I've had for over a year. I'm posting because I'd like to hear from others if you've noticed this or if my 3 might need some adjustment for the sonar sensors.

First thing I noticed when driving on autopilot is that the 3 had 2 instances of hard braking when approaching bridges on the highway in spots my S has never false braked. I had heard that AP 2.5 has more issues here. Has it gotten better for anyone over time? (I wonder if there is a whitelisting process for each car when it false detects a bridge as a braking event)

The second issue I noticed is that my sonar sensors seem to be extra sensitive and are picking up false positives from the road as objects next to me even when there's no cars there. This seemingly prevented auto lane change from changing lanes when it should have (on a highway I had already performed the auto lane change and with no cars next to me). I noticed during this time I was getting sonar hits but nothing was there.

Then when I did get a successful lane change the car violently moved back to the lane. I have read someone else mention that I need to hold the signal down until the lane change is complete and if this is true, then it's a rookie mistake on my part. Is that required for Auto Lane Change on the 3?

I haven’t had any differences in false braking between our X with AP2 and 3 with AP2.5. Sometimes I noticed after a software update our X would falsely brake under a bridge. Super unnerving. My 3 seems super sensitive though in terms of the automatic emergency brake warning, like detecting parked cars on the side of the road and beeping at me, that our X never alarms at. Not sure what’s up with that.

Re: lane change, I had a few events like that when they were developing AP2 but much better over last year. I do wait until car has fully changed lanes before turning off turn signal after having a few of those car jerking back episodes.

First thing I noticed when driving on autopilot is that the 3 had 2 instances of hard braking when approaching bridges on the highway in spots my S has never false braked
My X does that occasionally. So far I have not had my 3 do it but I have very limited miles on EAP in my 3.

The second issue I noticed is that my sonar sensors seem to be extra sensitive and are picking up false positives from the road as objects next to me even when there's no cars there
I have not experienced that in my S, X, or 3.

Then when I did get a successful lane change the car violently moved back to the lane. I have read someone else mention that I need to hold the signal down until the lane change is complete and if this is true, then it's a rookie mistake on my part. Is that required for Auto Lane Change on the 3?
If you are holding the turn signal stalk to indicate a lane change (not a full press on the stalk) and you release it when the Auto Lane Change is only about halfway completed the car may return to the lane you were changing from.

Easy solution: when you are ready to change lanes, fully press the stalk so it stays on, then when the car is fully in the new lane, cancel the turn signal. The car will only change one lane at a time even if you leave the turn signal on after the lane change is complete.

My X does that occasionally. So far I have not had my 3 do it but I have very limited miles on EAP in my 3.

I have not experienced that in my S, X, or 3.

If you are holding the turn signal stalk to indicate a lane change (not a full press on the stalk) and you release it when the Auto Lane Change is only about halfway completed the car may return to the lane you were changing from.

Easy solution: when you are ready to change lanes, fully press the stalk so it stays on, then when the car is fully in the new lane, cancel the turn signal. The car will only change one lane at a time even if you leave the turn signal on after the lane change is complete.

Thanks for the confirmation, that's how I thought it should work, perhaps I user error is to blame.

After you fully press the stalk to auto lane change, I never had to manually cancel the turn signal. My RWD3 always does it for you after fully changing the auto lane change, it cancels the signal after a second or two in the new lane. Never fails.

I have also had the false braking experience in my Model 3 approaching an overpass. It was later afternoon. I was wondering if the overpass shadow on the freeway was part of the issue for the false braking. However the next few overpasses with similar shadows had no issues. I am glad that you posted this question.

I owned a Model X with AP1, driven a service loaner X with AP2.0 and my current 3 with AP2.5. Out of all three (for the roads I drive on regularly in my normal commute), my AP1 X was the smoothest, with a few caveats (more later), the X with AP2.0 was the worst, and my 3 with AP2.5 is somewhere in between.

Over time, I think my 3 will be the best, because I've already noticed in certain spots where the AP acted erratically (dips in the road or overpasses, or weird land markings) when I first got it, that the car has "learned" that there's no danger there and it no longer alerts or "misbehaves". My AP1 X never "learned" and always consistently gave false alerts or erratic driving in the same spots, due to weird lane markings, but had no false alerts due to bridges or dips.

The AP 2.0 service loaner car was the worst. The acceleration and braking in stop-and-go traffic was so jerky that it actually made me carsick, and that's after adjusting the settings to chill and low regen.