Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot question

DavidMW

May 4, 2021
Winston-Salem NC
Hello All!

I just picked up my Model 3, Standard RWD Tesla this weekend... absolutely love it! I do have a question about the AutoPilot Lane Assist... it seems to me it is traveling a bit too close to the center line for my liking (especially when bigger vehicles like trucks are passing. it scares the heck out of me)... notice this on all roads to include clearly marked interstate driving. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to re-calibrate or offset the lane assist a little further from the center line? Thanks!

David

GtiMart

Nov 13, 2019
Quebec City, Canada
MY understanding is that the car is really very centered between the lines. Since you sit on one side of the car, you get the impression that it's close to the center line. Someone on youtube even put cameras to test this out. The car was centered.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Hello All!

I just picked up my Model 3, Standard RWD Tesla this weekend... absolutely love it! I do have a question about the AutoPilot Lane Assist... it seems to me it is traveling a bit too close to the center line for my liking (especially when bigger vehicles like trucks are passing. it scares the heck out of me)... notice this on all roads to include clearly marked interstate driving. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to re-calibrate or offset the lane assist a little further from the center line? Thanks!

David
Unfortunately no

leonar40

Jan 6, 2021
Bloomington, IN
Ya no doubt. I've always driven closer to the side of the road than the middle. Just safer IMO. I do believe the car is centered, but to me it often seems really close. I've gotten used to it by now, but it sure doesn't leave as much margin for other drivers who might get too close or slightly cross over as I would.

DavidMW

May 4, 2021
Winston-Salem NC
I have had my wife drive in front of me and she said it is "mostly" centered... I guess it is "mostly" just me... But I still find myself taking control when the big rigs are passing by. I am thinking that they might have done this for the FSD residential driving where you have cars parking on the street.

Stampee

Apr 3, 2021
Binghamton ny
I hate it and agree it is to close to the left side. Maybe it is so-called in the center, but a normal driver does not always drive that way, especially when a big truck is hugging the right side of his lane. Does the tesla drift a little right the way a human would to avoid this? Nope!
the kids programming this software don't have the common sense or experience to notice the flaw.
Stampee

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC