Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot Trial Program Paused May 2019

Was your Model 3 autopilot trial paused in May 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 23 days remaining on my 60-day trial of autopilot as of May 12, 2019, and on Monday, May 13th, I could not use the feature. In its place was an option to order the software, but the radio button was inactive. I've got a 2018 Model 3 delivered March 23, 2019.

So I called Tesla and the customer service rep told me all trial programs were paused for software retooling until further notice. He indicated I would receive a second trial offer within the next few weeks. He also told me I could not purchase autopilot at this time because of bugs being worked out of the software. Anybody else going through this?

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Oddly enough, my trial ended with exactly 23 days as well. Here's the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. Our team is aware that some trials have ended early. We are actively working on a fix for some issues affecting the autopilot trials. Once resolved, a new trial will be sent to owners whose trials ended early."

Interesting to hear additional details. You're saying if I tried to purchase AP for $3,000 on my Tesla acct right now, it wouldn't work?

Oddly enough, my trial ended with exactly 23 days as well. Here's the response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. Our team is aware that some trials have ended early. We are actively working on a fix for some issues affecting the autopilot trials. Once resolved, a new trial will be sent to owners whose trials ended early."

Interesting to hear additional details. You're saying if I tried to purchase AP for $3,000 on my Tesla acct right now, it wouldn't work?

Yes! The "Order" button was active as I was driving on Sunday, May 19, 2019 for about one hour, but when I went back in later that same day, the button was inactive. Can't use Auto Pilot (AP) either through trial or by paying for it. [I thought Elon needed cash? Ha!]

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I had 23 days remaining on my 60-day trial of autopilot as of May 12, 2019, and on Monday, May 13th, I could not use the feature. In its place was an option to order the software, but the radio button was inactive. I've got a 2018 Model 3 delivered March 23, 2019.

So I called Tesla and the customer service rep told me all trial programs were paused for software retooling until further notice. He indicated I would receive a second trial offer within the next few weeks. He also told me I could not purchase autopilot at this time because of bugs being worked out of the software. Anybody else going through this?

Update on Monday, May 20, 2019: Spoke to Vanessa at Tesla Customer Service, and she confirmed some Model 3 autopilot trial programs were stopped prior to the 60 day expiration, including mine. She would not tell me what was the problem except that "the advance team" knew about it and was working on it. She would also not give me a time for restoration of my autopilot trial, but she did confirm I'd be given another trial period just as soon as the software is corrected. [I've decided to track this every Monday until it's resolved, and I'll post updates until it's resolved.]

I also had the exact same thing. I think it was with 23 days left as well! Here was the response from a chat I had with "Leon":
Thanks for your patience, it looks like the autopilot trial was pulled by engineering because it was causing some problems with the firmware. In the next several weeks you will be offered a new autopilot trial to replace this one. There's nothing you'll need to do it will automatically restart.

Just found this guy on Reddit Purchased Autopilot: No Lane Changing? : teslamotors

Seems to be in the same situation, but was able to purchase AP. Did you try buying it from the car, or from your Account page @MaverickJet ?

I haven't decided whether to buy it, as I was just getting used to it. After not using it for a week, I'm leaning towards NOT buying it until it reaches a higher level of sophistication, something like L5 or unsupervised autonomy. Discontinuing the trial in the middle pushed me the other way. Had I used it for 60 days and found it indispensable... But it was interrupted, and I discovered I like driving the car just as it is without the assistance!

Update on Monday, May 20, 2019: Spoke to Vanessa at Tesla Customer Service, and she confirmed some Model 3 autopilot trial programs were stopped prior to the 60 day expiration, including mine. She would not tell me what was the problem except that "the advance team" knew about it and was working on it. She would also not give me a time for restoration of my autopilot trial, but she did confirm I'd be given another trial period just as soon as the software is corrected. [I've decided to track this every Monday until it's resolved, and I'll post updates until it's resolved.]

Two updates on Wednesday, May 22, 2019:

First, a survey from Tesla support on whether I was satisfied talking with the customer service rep two days ago. I clicked on 2 stars out of 5 ("dissatisfied") and added: "Substantive responses are essential! While customer service representatives are compassionate, none provided an answer to my question, and my issue is yet unresolved. I still need a substantive response to my question."

Second, an email from Tesla support: "Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. The Autopilot trials were temporarily removed to be re-configured for customers. I am sorry to hear that this effected your trial by stopping early, however Tesla will be rolling the Autopilot trials back out to customers that do not currently have the Full Self Drive upgrade. I have placed a link to our Support page in regards to this and copied the information that pertains to your Tesla vehicle.

Do I need to do anything to start my Full Self-Driving Capability trial?
No. If you have not already purchased Full Self-Driving Capability, you will be eligible for the trial. Your car must be running on the latest software version before the trial can begin.

Full Self-Driving Capability Trial

I hope this information helped answer your questions for you. You are more than welcome to respond to this email if you have further questions. We appreciate you being part of the Tesla family and for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Thank you,

Tristan N. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support
ei
"

Nope. Mine ended with 25 days remaining. One day I attempted to put the car in AP mode on the freeway but instead of activating AP it just launched basic non-traffic aware cruise control. It’s a good thing I was paying attention or I might have let the car drive right into the car in front of me just assuming it would brake as traffic slowed down. A warning letting me know my trial ended would have been nice. Jeez.

Reactions: willow_hiller