Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot works pretty well in Heavy Rain at Night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that’s pretty incredible. Stay safe!

We just took our model x through pretty thick fog. I was amazed at how well it went. We actually had to slow down because we couldn’t see as well as the car.

A really great security blanket.

Yes I know it is not a good idea to use cruise control in the rain!

Having said that, I also tried AP in heavy rain on a lightly traveled highway. I too was surprised how well the camera could see the lane markings and how far ahead. Further than I could.

I've driven in some very heavy rain storms and was impressed by how well it keeps track of everything. However, in those heavy storms, I still drive manually. It's not for fear of the AP system losing track of anything, it's the risk of hydroplaning. Being dead center in a lane isn't always the best place to be. But if the road is clear of standing water, then I have no issues letting the AP system do the work.

I've also noticed how well it can still see when the wipers aren't auto activated. Visibility will be very poor, but it still sees everything. I usually have to manually trigger them because I'm not comfortable being in the car with such poor forward visibility. It's my theory on why auto wipers are so terrible. The system simply thinks visibility is still "good enough". :)

I've driven in some very heavy rain storms and was impressed by how well it keeps track of everything. However, in those heavy storms, I still drive manually. It's not for fear of the AP system losing track of anything, it's the risk of hydroplaning. Being dead center in a lane isn't always the best place to be. But if the road is clear of standing water, then I have no issues letting the AP system do the work.

I've also noticed how well it can still see when the wipers aren't auto activated. Visibility will be very poor, but it still sees everything. I usually have to manually trigger them because I'm not comfortable being in the car with such poor forward visibility. It's my theory on why auto wipers are so terrible. The system simply thinks visibility is still "good enough". :)
This rainstorm was the first time I needed the wipers and I can see what people's complaints about them are now. The speed of the wiper seems to be somewhat random.