Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD 2019.32 vs 2019.36 Peak power up 7.5%, Peak torque up 1%, 0-60 mph down 0.1s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a direct copy and paste from Reddit user Wugz's post Model 3 AWD tested from 0-160 km/h - Peak power up 7.5%, Peak torque up 1%, 0-60 mph down 0.1s : teslamotors

I sampled hi-res data from the CAN bus while flooring my Model 3 AWD from 0 km/h to 160 km/h on 2019.32.12.2 and 2019.36.2.1. Conditions were kept as similar as possible:

• Climate was turned off, and similar outside temperature (-6°C +/- 1)

• Battery was >95% and pack temperature was >30°C (charged to 100%, used on-route battery warmup until preconditioning complete, then recharged to 100% before driving to the test spot)

• Same road, same tires, same tire pressure

• Slip start On (delays traction control from reducing power if slippage detected)

• Kept 3 runs of each firmware showing nearly identical results
Now for the details you came here for (taken from the best of each of the 3 runs of each firmware):

• Peak power increased from 309.4 kW to 333.2 kW (+7.7%) above 81 km/h

• Front motor peak torque increased from 182 Nm to 185.5 Nm (+1.9%) below 33 km/h, unchanged above

• Rear motor peak torque remains unchanged at 318.5 Nm (+0%)

• Combined peak torque increased from 496.5 Nm to 501.75 Nm (+1.1%)

• 0-60 mph decreased from 4.264s to 4.159s (-0.105s)

• 0-100 km/h decreased from 4.462s to 4.368s (-0.094s)

• 0-160 km/h decreased from 9.608s to 9.024s (-0.584s)
The axis zero for all runs was aligned to the moment that battery power first increased.

All speed runs were measured from the moment speed was detected, around the time of peak torque, typically 0.21-0.24s after power was first applied.

Here are some preliminary results from a few quick runs I did earlier in my AWD. 87% SoC and cold/super windy. Definitely my best 1/8th mile but nothing extraordinary and 0-60 is pretty close but not quite my best pre-36.2 of 4.14s. Look forward to doing the 1/4 mile later to see if I can get atleast another tenth or so off of that.. I can definitely feel it pulling a little harder in the mid range on up. The low end feels about the same to me if not just a smidge better. I think the throttle mapping is definitely a little more aggressive though.

Screenshot_20191112-150309.png

Screenshot_20191112-150334.png

Last edited:
Another interesting point from Wugz's post is that the AWD power has increase from 381hp in 2019.5.4, to 412hp in 2019.8.3, to 447hp in 2019.36.2. Who doesn't like free performance upgrades after you buy the car!
You are referring to the LR AWD, not the Performance model? If so, that is incredible. When I bought my LR AWD in August 2018 I never imagined I would get so much more HP!

Here are some preliminary results from a few quick runs I did earlier in my AWD. 87% SoC and cold/super windy. Definitely my best 1/8th mile but nothing extraordinary and 0-60 is pretty close but not quite my best pre-36.2 of 4.14s. Look forward to doing the 1/4 mile later to see if I can get atleast another tenth or so off of that.. I can definitely feel it pulling a little harder in the mid range on up. The low end feels about the same to me if not just a smidge better. I think the throttle mapping is definitely a little more aggressive though.

You have always been one of the faster AWD cars. Thanks for corroborating the information above. It seems like 0-60 may not improve much, but i'm hoping some top end, highway acceleration does.

I spend most of my time at 75-80mph anyways.

As I expected from playing with the update last night, that new 0-100mph is staggering. They literally chopped a half second off the quarter mile, for free. I agree not much down low but 50ish and up it was solid gains.

Being the other fast AWD guy I’ll get out there with Dragy and VBOX as soon as I can but they just dumped salt and sand today because of some flurries. Sigh.

If this update is as stout on the Performance car we’ll start seeing some real close to 11 seconds flat with the proper set of wheels [aka not stock lol]

As I expected from playing with the update last night, that new 0-100mph is staggering. They literally chopped a half second off the quarter mile, for free. I agree not much down low but 50ish and up it was solid gains.

REALLY curious to see if that turns out to be true...the one youtube video from an AWD owner testing only found about .2 improvement in the 1/4 mile, which is pretty far from the nearly .6 improvement Wugz data suggests just to 100 let alone to ~115 for a 1/4 mile run. If Wugz data is correct that ought to put the AWD into the (very high) 11s.

REALLY curious to see if that turns out to be true...the one youtube video from an AWD owner testing only found about .2 improvement in the 1/4 mile, which is pretty far from the nearly .6 improvement Wugz data suggests just to 100 let alone to ~115 for a 1/4 mile run. If Wugz data is correct that ought to put the AWD into the (very high) 11s.
I agree that 0.5s seems highly suspect. I hope it’s true but I remain skeptical based on the dragy 1/8 mile posted above. His numbers didn’t change at all in the 1/8 and he was going 90mph

New numbers starting at a bit higher SoC of 94%. Only did one 0-60 run and seems a definite improvement. After that I ran a few 1/4 miles at around 91% (had to drive where there was enough runway and flat) and all were 12.2 or 12.3 so I picked the best one. 1/8th mile managed one under 8s once, most were around 8.0x. These are all validated and up on the Dragy leaderboards. I also did a 0-100 time and it came in at 9.21s.

Screenshot_20191113-022248.png

Screenshot_20191113-022349.png

Screenshot_20191113-021653.png

Screenshot_20191113-022331.png

Last edited:
The AWD is putting down some serious power. That it is trapping close to the same speeds as the performance is just bonkers.

I have a Performance with staggered 19" wheels, one of my colleagues has an AWD on aeros. Yesterday we got on the freeway together. I had left work at 95% SOC, her at 55% (we both have the latest software). She was stacked up behind me at the meter. I moved out briskly and when I saw she was following (at about 35-40mph) I floored it. She followed suit.

While I pulled away a touch (1/3 of a car maybe?), for all intents and purposes she hung right on me from 40-80mph.

The AWD is a super impressive car and definitely the best speed bargain in the world at the moment. Glad Elon is moving the needle on it and pushing more and more people away from increasingly lesser luxury counterparts.

These real world numbers are not far behind from a BMW M3 competition package car. While they are 2 different tools for different purposes, being 4 door sedans, the TM3 for all intents and purposes is a real performance bargain when compared to an 80k BMW M3, especially with the TM3P being able to dust said M3 by almost 0.5 secs.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Maybe BMW will do the smart thing and release a fully electric 3 series that can actually compete?

They're starting to pull their heads out of their asses but its too little too late. This 20+ year BMW owner and loyal enthusiast has given up. After 2 i3 Rex leases, there is nothing they build today that is close to what Tesla is doing. Had their now fired CEO, Harald Kruger, kept the development of the i3 and i8 moving with releasing the i4, and i5 by now, BMW would not be losing so many loyal customers.

I really wish I didn't already have the snows on my stealth performance car! I was seeing 0-60 in 3.06 seconds (1' rollout) before the the software update on factory aeros, so I'm hoping to get down into the 2s after. Not going to happen on X-ice tires though as they are struggling for grip under any strong acceleration. I'm planning to get a super light 18" summer wheel and tire combo (OZ Superleggera most likely), which should help drop times over the stock wheels.