Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD 2019.32 vs 2019.36 Peak power up 7.5%, Peak torque up 1%, 0-60 mph down 0.1s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish I didn't already have the snows on my stealth performance car! I was seeing 0-60 in 3.06 seconds (1' rollout) before the the software update on factory aeros, so I'm hoping to get down into the 2s after. Not going to happen on X-ice tires though as they are struggling for grip under any strong acceleration. I'm planning to get a super light 18" summer wheel and tire combo (OZ Superleggera most likely), which should help drop times over the stock wheels.

FWIW My car is faster with snows on 18s than SuperSports on 19s. Then again you're pushing more power than I.

Here are my best with 20" Heavy TSS Staggered wheels , before and after.

IMG_2316.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 130
Here are my best with 20" Heavy TSS Staggered wheels , before and after.

your "Before" time seems very slow for some reason. Most AWD Non-P vehicles have been running 12.4x for a while. I understand how wheels may affect it, however it seems excessive. I'm glad to see it is now running appropriate times.

I still find it incredible that a mid-spec car is running low 12's

Not in the same league but the MR RWD has also gained over .4 second and +3MPH in the 1/4 mile since new.
Original 5.5 best 0-60, now 5.2
Original (after first power increase update) 1/4 mile 14.0 @ 99.21, now 13.62 @102.45
They are still really sandbagging this and likely the SR+ from the start.

Some americanized metrics here from Wugz:

Wugz Model 3 AWD, API addict[S] 13 points 3 days ago

Mechanical horsepower: 381 HP (then) to 447 HP (now)

Metric horsepower: 386 HP (then) to 453 HP (now)
  • tp1996 3LRD 3 points 3 days ago

Is this really for standard AWD? They seem very high.
    • Wugz Model 3 AWD, API addict[S] 5 points 3 days ago

Yes, this is battery output, which can be thought of as brake horsepower. Wheel horsepower will be some % less due to drivetrain losses.
      • kaw00sh Owner Model 3 Dual Motor 4 points 3 days ago

Do you have a rough estimate on the percentage loss? Just so I have some numbers to throw around when talking performance with other people
        • Wugz Model 3 AWD, API addict[S] 4 points 3 days ago

Back before either power increase, my car was measured at 284 kW (381 HP) battery output power at 85% SoC. Around the same time there was a dyno run of the P3D and the AWD posted here that was also performed between 80-90% SoC and the AWD had a peak wheel power of 367 HP, so this would place the drivetrain losses at roughly 4%.

So @ a 4% drivetrain loss - you are looking @ 447*.96 = 429HP equivalent car doing 4.1 sec 0-60.

12.379 was my previous best at a drag strip (so 0.109 difference). I did several other runs previously with Dragy that were also 12.37. So I would say atleast a tenth quicker in the quarter mile. Wish I had data on previous 0-100 times but unfortunately I don't.
MagnusMako , do you use Slip start On?
And , now with 2019.36.2.1 do you start on "One Pedal drive" option or still with Creep and forced Hold? (H).
Wiich is your best tire inflation?
thanks

4.5 second being reported by LR RWD now (95% SoC)

That video was uploaded back in February 2019. The LR RWD was faster at that point but then actually got slower in a later update based on lots of reports and those same numbers weren't ever reported again. I'd be curious what they're actually reporting now after this latest 5% update though.

MagnusMako , do you use Slip start On?
And , now with 2019.36.2.1 do you start on "One Pedal drive" option or still with Creep and forced Hold? (H).
Wiich is your best tire inflation?
thanks

No slip start, one pedal was on. I didn't play with any settings after the update. Tires were reporting around 38 psi I think, due to the cold. Car does weigh about 38 lbs less than stock between the rear rotors (-3.71 lbs/ea), 4 wheels (-2 lbs/ea) and 12v battery (-23 lbs) and I weigh 180.

Definitely feels faster. Seems like it has a bigger impact than the first power upgrade.

the original M3P specs were for 450hp and 470 lb-ft torque and 3.5sec 0-60.

remarkable how close the AWD is to that now.

Yeah. Just think that the original P3D+ was tested by Car and Driver they reported a 12.1 in the quarter mile. I just managed a 12.27 so only 1/10th of a second slower than the original Performance when it debuted. So 420-430 seems about right for the AWD now since the P3 was reported at 450 then. I also see C&D reported an 8.9 in the 0-100 and I reported a 9.21 the other night.

Last edited:
That video was uploaded back in February 2019. The LR RWD was faster at that point but then actually got slower in a later update based on lots of reports and those same numbers weren't ever reported again. I'd be curious what they're actually reporting now after this latest 5% update though.

Good point. Also I didn't feel any difference with the first 5% gain, but I definitely feel the difference with the latest.

No slip start, one pedal was on. I didn't play with any settings after the update. Tires were reporting around 38 psi I think, due to the cold. Car does weigh about 38 lbs less than stock between the rear rotors (-3.71 lbs/ea), 4 wheels (-2 lbs/ea) and 12v battery (-23 lbs) and I weigh 180.
Thanks MagnusMako.
I asked because I only tried 2 times on 0-60 mph after the power upgrade. a 4.17secs and a 4.21 secs. And the Creep (HOLD) and One Pedal Drive made some difference.
The first attempt at 4.21secs with OPD option (79% SoC) 39psi tires but a 3.94 secs with 1Ft roll.
the 2nd attempt at 4.17secs with forced hold on Creep (78% SoC) 39psi tires but a 3.96 secs with 1Ft roll. (worse than 3.94)

So probably the OPD or Creep made a difference.
I have on Custom Mode Settings on Dragy the 50 km/h to 100 km/h scenario also.
I have many others attempts very similar so I also noticed that the 2019.36.2.1 improves the 0-60mph only because the second part of the race: ON previous 2019.32, 50 to 100 km/h were all around 2.52 (2.49-2.54secs) on all 0-60mph attempts , BUT on 2019.36.2 the 50 to 100km/h are all 2.30 to 2.33 secs .
all the registered "50 to 100km/h" are all part of every 0-60mph attempts (or 0-100km/h).
I live in Italy so I have many "metric practice", but I ave to set a new Custom Mode for 30mph to 60mph.
I'v published on Dragy leaderboards , I'm conv90.
Screenshot_20191115_173449_com.dragy.jpg
Screenshot_20191115_173500_com.dragy.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty low. The recommended tire pressure is 42 PSI cold. That's what I have and after a few miles of driving the TPMS shows 45 PSI.

It could have been closer to 42, I honestly don't think I checked on site. I think I only checked them right as I was leaving my house before the 15 minute drive to my testing spot. I will probably do some testing again later but with a GoPro and everything to show the complete setup during my run.