Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD coilover on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suspension interface on the model y is the same as a model 3 correct?

I should be able to mount the coilovers from my old model 3 awd onto the model y awd LR?

I will be looking into getting stiffer springs for the higher weight, the damping will probably be a little different but I'm willing to get it a try since I've already have the coilovers

I contacted Redwood about doing that exact thing. Removed GT kit from M3LR before selling, and asked them about installing on MYLR.
Here’s what they said:
Thanks for reaching out! So you would have to ship them back to us and we would basically convert the kit to Model Y for you. The conversion would consist of revalving and putting new springs in for you but we can do this all affordably for you, since you already have our kit.

The Ohlins R&T coilovers are one product for any AWD Model 3 or Y. Probably your Redwood Ohlins Model 3 coilovers would physically fit your Model Y. And even if the spring lengths or front:back spring rate ratio are a little different, the Redwood Ohlins have a pretty wide height adjustment range with both spring perch and damper body adjustment, so I bet you could achieve a reasonable and even height on the Y even with the Model 3 springs.

That said, I wouldn't do it! I doubt the result would be as good as having the proper Model Y spec coilovers (whether rebuilt or sell+buy). From the discussions about the R&T here, it sounds like Ohlins' choice to make only one kit for the 3 and Y is very much a compromise (and it sounds like they arguably fit the 3 better than the Y). Redwood Ohlins DFV coilovers obviously aren't cheap, you (and I 🙂) didn't buy them as a compromise, so compromising by fitting the Model 3 version on a Y wouldn't make sense to me.

For other parts that fit both 3 and Y, like control arms that fit both models, Redwood often sells the same exact part for 3 or Y, but they chose to differentiate the coilovers. Same goes for MPP, as another example from a shop focused on these cars. I'm sure that's for good reasons.

This is just my armchair 2c without any real experience in this matter.