Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD driving dynamics compared to Dodge LX SRT8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 14 years I've been driving an '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8. It's on the LX platform so it's the same car as a 300 SRT8 or Charger SRT8. The SRT's are lower and have sportier suspensions than their RT brethren. Last year we got a 2019 VW E-Golf that I have been driving quite a bit as well. I'll be getting a model 3 AWD LR soon and am curious about the differences in handling compared to the MSRT.

The Magnum is 1 inch wider and taller than the model 3. It's also 13 inches longer, but only about 200lbs heavier. From what I've read it seems like the model 3 will have better turn in and obviously a lower CG. Has anyone on here driven an LX SRT? What other differences will I feel aside from being much quicker, and having less noise and vibration? I think the model 3 will ride better, and probably have a little more body roll. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 101
  • maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 82
I've driven a handful of different LX platform SRT vehicles and while the (very old) at this point platform has ben continuously updated, the dynamic difference between even a brand new Charger SRT and a model 3 is stark. The Model 3 will feel like a go cart after hopping out of your Magnum. The ride will be slightly stiffer in the Model 3 than your magnum and body roll is almost nil. Turn in is very responsive, even on all-season eco tires.

Suggest you go test drive a model 3.

For the last 14 years I've been driving an '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8. It's on the LX platform so it's the same car as a 300 SRT8 or Charger SRT8. The SRT's are lower and have sportier suspensions than their RT brethren. Last year we got a 2019 VW E-Golf that I have been driving quite a bit as well. I'll be getting a model 3 AWD LR soon and am curious about the differences in handling compared to the MSRT.

The Magnum is 1 inch wider and taller than the model 3. It's also 13 inches longer, but only about 200lbs heavier. From what I've read it seems like the model 3 will have better turn in and obviously a lower CG. Has anyone on here driven an LX SRT? What other differences will I feel aside from being much quicker, and having less noise and vibration? I think the model 3 will ride better, and probably have a little more body roll. What do you think?

Thanks!
SRT8 Magnum is an amazing car. An American V8 powered station wagon, of which there aren't many.
I drove same gen 300 SRT8 years ago... And can only speak for personal experience since i have a M3P, not LR, but you should have less body roll due to extremely low center of gravity.

Thanks!

The Model 3 AWD’s instant, silent shove will make your SRT8 feel loud, old and slow by comparison. There’s also zero slack in the steering and other controls, and this will require you to recalibrate your inputs in order to drive smoothly.

The change will likely be a shock to your system, but give it time and my guess is that you won’t miss the Magnum at all.

The number one thing about Model 3 is the lower center of gravity, and then it has a very fast steering rack, both of which masks its weight in transition. For left right zig zagging, the 4100# car really feels like 3100# pounds, so initial turn in is quick and extremely flat.

Reactions: arghx7
The Model 3 AWD’s instant, silent shove will make your SRT8 feel loud, old and slow by comparison. There’s also zero slack in the steering and other controls, and this will require you to recalibrate your inputs in order to drive smoothly.

The change will likely be a shock to your system, but give it time and my guess is that you won’t miss the Magnum at all.

Having come from a Charger R/T I'll say I agree with you 99%. What I do miss just a tad is the sound. I had Borla exhaust on it and that sound was like fine music, silent until you punch it and then low thunder. That said I prefer the nearly silent sound of my M3's warp engines.

Having come from a Charger R/T I'll say I agree with you 99%. What I do miss just a tad is the sound. I had Borla exhaust on it and that sound was like fine music, silent until you punch it and then low thunder. That said I prefer the nearly silent sound of my M3's warp engines.

My previous car sounded great, too, and I do occasionally miss that sound, but honestly less and less as time goes on.

Former '05 Magnum RT owner here...waiting impatiently on an M3 LR. My Magnum had KW coilovers and Hotchkis bars front and rear and even comparing the Magnum to my wife's new Model Y LR, it is dynamically superior in every way to the Magnum. Less body roll, less squat/dive and quicker steering.

Thanks!

You're about to experience a massive paradigm shift. The Model 3 will not only handle better it will ride better. And that is completely without any upgrades,. The suspension design is decades ahead of what's on the Dodge Magnum. With upgrades it will put you into a different universe. See threads on MPP coilover kits.

I came from the lx world as well. Had an 06 mag srt. Absolutely loved that car. One of those wish I never sold type of cars. Two completely different animals Imo. For day to day driving the model 3 is nice and is superior to the mag srt in those terms. The model 3 is new to me, but from the short mileage I have out on, I don't feel confodent yet throwing into corners. I find there is alot of weight transfer which tends to make the front end feel a little sketchy when accelerating into a sweeping corner. With the rwd srt, I knew exactly what it was gonna do and where it's limits were. I also made the move to the jeep srt. Both an 07 and 2016. Even both of those I felt more confidence than I do in the model 3. The model 3 is a straight line performer, you would need to get some suspension work done to get the confidence the lx and wk platform have in the twisties Imo. But again, my time with the 3 is limited thus far.

I came from the lx world as well. Had an 06 mag srt. Absolutely loved that car. One of those wish I never sold type of cars. Two completely different animals Imo. For day to day driving the model 3 is nice and is superior to the mag srt in those terms. The model 3 is new to me, but from the short mileage I have out on, I don't feel confodent yet throwing into corners. I find there is alot of weight transfer which tends to make the front end feel a little sketchy when accelerating into a sweeping corner. With the rwd srt, I knew exactly what it was gonna do and where it's limits were. I also made the move to the jeep srt. Both an 07 and 2016. Even both of those I felt more confidence than I do in the model 3. The model 3 is a straight line performer, you would need to get some suspension work done to get the confidence the lx and wk platform have in the twisties Imo. But again, my time with the 3 is limited thus far.

Which version of the car do you have? For sure both the all wheel drive and the rear wheel drive cars could use significantly more tire.

Give it time for you to learn how to drive the Tesla. The Mag SRT wouldn’t see which way the Model 3 Performance went on any twisty road, regardless of tires.

Reactions: dfwatt
I feel like I know exactly how the MSRT8 will behave under almost every circumstance. I'm pretty sure that much of that is the long wheelbase and good weight distribution (although much higher than an electric of course). Driving it for so long helps as well. My MINI Cooper S was ball to drive but seemed much less predictable. My e-Golf is very comfortable, but isn't very dynamic to drive.

Thank you all again for sharing your experiences/opinions. I'm looking forward to finding out on my own :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RefreshedP