Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD extended vs. performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How could they increase the torque without increasing the amp draw?
The amp draw of the motor would be increased but the voltage to the motor is lower at lower rpms so you can have the same power draw but at a higher current. Power = Voltage * Current. Here's a dyno graph of the LR. You can move the power ramp (constant torque range) to the left and improve acceleration without increasing the peak power.
Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg

Theoretically it only takes 250hp to accelerate 4000lbs to 60mph in 3.5 seconds.
Wolfram|Alpha: Making the world’s knowledge computable
The infinite torque necessary would not be good for the drivetrain or the passengers though.

Last edited:
The amp draw of the motor would be increased but the voltage to the motor is lower at lower rpms so you can have the same power draw but at a higher current. Power = Voltage * Current. Here's a dyno graph of the LR. You can move the power ramp (constant torque range) to the left and improve acceleration without increasing the peak power.
View attachment 329846
Theoretically it only takes 250hp to accelerate 4000lbs to 60mph in 3.5 seconds.
Wolfram|Alpha: Making the world’s knowledge computable
The infinite torque necessary would not be good for the drivetrain or the passengers though.
note: no such thing as infinite torque

You imagine low rpm somehow causes low voltage - isn't it the other way around?
The battery is the ONLY source of power for Tesla motor.
So I have no idea how you expect to improve acceleration and NOT use more power?
(perhaps you mean you can improve the motor and get better acceleration with a better motor?)

Moving a long a graph line will show data points at that moment - doesn't "explain" how things work, right? Understanding Torque, power, hp power, rpm, current, voltage can easily be confusing.

voltage changes, but how
current changes, but why
all the voltage and current comes from ... the battery

Perhaps I'm just confused.
Anyway, I'm still surprised no competitive [performance/numbers built] cars being offered by anyone, yet. Attempts? Leaf? Bolt? Zoe? we shall see.

note: no such thing as infinite torque

You imagine low rpm somehow causes low voltage - isn't it the other way around?
The battery is the ONLY source of power for Tesla motor.
So I have no idea how you expect to improve acceleration and NOT use more power?
(perhaps you mean you can improve the motor and get better acceleration with a better motor?)

Moving a long a graph line will show data points at that moment - doesn't "explain" how things work, right? Understanding Torque, power, hp power, rpm, current, voltage can easily be confusing.

voltage changes, but how
current changes, but why
all the voltage and current comes from ... the battery

Perhaps I'm just confused.
Anyway, I'm still surprised no competitive [performance/numbers built] cars being offered by anyone, yet. Attempts? Leaf? Bolt? Zoe? we shall see.
Of course you use more power to accelerate faster. The key is that the car is not using constant power during the 0-60 run. The LR does not reach peak power until about 45mph. If you can reach peak power earlier (through inverter, motor, gearing, or software) you can improve acceleration without increasing the peak power draw from the battery.

Of course you use more power to accelerate faster. The key is that the car is not using constant power during the 0-60 run. The LR does not reach peak power until about 45mph. If you can reach peak power earlier (through inverter, motor, gearing, or software) you can improve acceleration without increasing the peak power draw from the battery.
I understand traction control is needed to stop wheel spin, as the wheels will in fact spin IF you were to try and use maximum power. 2020 Roadster may use traction control up to 70mph.

To me, it just means the Tesla cars have MORE than enough power. not a bad thing