Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD/LR - new tyres just purchased NOV 2021 (FYI)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My Model 3 LR is almost two years old and I've somehow managed to do a little over 25,000 miles (lots of jaunts down to Spain :)

Given that the 2019 deliveries were the first for us in UK, I figured lots of people are probably getting to tyre replacement stage soon.

I spent time on this forum and other places looking at tyre advice (or 'tire' advice in the US). I really wanted the see if the Pilot Sport EVs are available in 18 inch, but they're not. But treads down to ~2mm so no time to wait. I live in the London area so not really fussed about 'all season' - regular summer ones are fine for the climate we have.

Well anyway, after much research, I decided to stick to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (235/45 18) that come with the car.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, there are TWO versions of this tyre. T0 Acoustic and regular. The T0 is the Tesla-specific one with the foam. About £20 per tyre cost difference between the two.

Spent ages looking at price comparisons. Cost including fitting ranged from £720-800 for all 4 tyres.

In the end ordered directly from a garage in West London (they're a TyreLeader fitting partner but the Tyreleader website was confusing so I just phoned the garage directly).

Total cost, including fitting, alignment, disposal etc.. £720 all in.

Hope this helps someone else.

.dakang

9A75487A-02F8-4CA9-B057-988A7EFBD689.jpeg
Loads of threads on this. I had 2 x pilot sport 4 TO done for £150 each. Fitted by mobile van. Kwik Fit

Last edited:
New tyres (Michelin Cross Climate) are quieter than the originals, and they are foam-free.
The foam isn't there to make road noise quieter, it is to stop resonance building up within the tyre when driving on certain road surfaces.

Michelin CC are a good tyre, and don't really need foam as the tread pattern doesn't produce resonance issues. They are nice and quiet - obviously they don't have the performance of the PS4 but most people don't need it.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
The foam isn't there to make road noise quieter, it is to stop resonance building up within the tyre when driving on certain road surfaces.

Michelin CC are a good tyre, and don't really need foam as the tread pattern doesn't produce resonance issues. They are nice and quiet - obviously they don't have the performance of the PS4 but most people don't need it.
I guess the resonance is related to weight then? Otherwise, why only on Teslas?

Acoustic foam lined tyres have been around for a few years apparently ... not just for Teslas.
They’re a pain in posterior if you ever have to repair / get your tyres plugged. Certain large national tyre/exhaust chains will refuse to repair them (basically because they’re lazy but hide behind H&S and company policy). A decent indy tyre garage will of course repair them as long as the repair is legal - not because of the presence of the foam lining.