Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Model 3 AWD/LR - new tyres just purchased NOV 2021 (FYI)

Hi all,

My Model 3 LR is almost two years old and I've somehow managed to do a little over 25,000 miles (lots of jaunts down to Spain :)

Given that the 2019 deliveries were the first for us in UK, I figured lots of people are probably getting to tyre replacement stage soon.

I spent time on this forum and other places looking at tyre advice (or 'tire' advice in the US). I really wanted the see if the Pilot Sport EVs are available in 18 inch, but they're not. But treads down to ~2mm so no time to wait. I live in the London area so not really fussed about 'all season' - regular summer ones are fine for the climate we have.

Well anyway, after much research, I decided to stick to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (235/45 18) that come with the car.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, there are TWO versions of this tyre. T0 Acoustic and regular. The T0 is the Tesla-specific one with the foam. About £20 per tyre cost difference between the two.

Spent ages looking at price comparisons. Cost including fitting ranged from £720-800 for all 4 tyres.

In the end ordered directly from a garage in West London (they're a TyreLeader fitting partner but the Tyreleader website was confusing so I just phoned the garage directly).

Total cost, including fitting, alignment, disposal etc.. £720 all in.

Hope this helps someone else.

.dakang

9A75487A-02F8-4CA9-B057-988A7EFBD689.jpeg
Loads of threads on this. I had 2 x pilot sport 4 TO done for £150 each. Fitted by mobile van. Kwik Fit

Last edited:

MrT3

Jun 26, 2021
UK
New tyres (Michelin Cross Climate) are quieter than the originals, and they are foam-free.
The foam isn't there to make road noise quieter, it is to stop resonance building up within the tyre when driving on certain road surfaces.

Michelin CC are a good tyre, and don't really need foam as the tread pattern doesn't produce resonance issues. They are nice and quiet - obviously they don't have the performance of the PS4 but most people don't need it.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
The foam isn't there to make road noise quieter, it is to stop resonance building up within the tyre when driving on certain road surfaces.

Michelin CC are a good tyre, and don't really need foam as the tread pattern doesn't produce resonance issues. They are nice and quiet - obviously they don't have the performance of the PS4 but most people don't need it.
I guess the resonance is related to weight then? Otherwise, why only on Teslas?

Acoustic foam lined tyres have been around for a few years apparently ... not just for Teslas.
They’re a pain in posterior if you ever have to repair / get your tyres plugged. Certain large national tyre/exhaust chains will refuse to repair them (basically because they’re lazy but hide behind H&S and company policy). A decent indy tyre garage will of course repair them as long as the repair is legal - not because of the presence of the foam lining.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC