Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD option, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been weighing this decision myself (less the snow part since I'm in CA), and in my reasoning for the AWD is strictly a performance factor. I don't have enough experience in Tesla's RWD vs. AWD platforms to make an educated opinion but I love my AWD in my Evolution in any condition. Maybe someone on here who has experience in both can pro & con the two for us?

I've been weighing this decision myself (less the snow part since I'm in CA), and in my reasoning for the AWD is strictly a performance factor. I don't have enough experience in Tesla's RWD vs. AWD platforms to make an educated opinion but I love my AWD in my Evolution in any condition. Maybe someone on here who has experience in both can pro & con the two for us?

Look at the Model S and X. AWD adds a second motor (over the front wheels), and at highway speeds, increases efficiency and range.

Google and the search function on this page won't bite.

AWD has several benefits:

- Probably another 200 hp
- Better handling in snow. RWD always has it's limits.
- Different gearing (and different size) of front and rear drive means better efficiency and greater range.
- Better regen properties. In slippery conditions, the rear wheels won't suddenly lose traction due to regen.
- Redundancy, in some circumstances you can keep driving with one defective drive unit.

Reactions: dhanson865
My personal opinion with Model S - AWD handles better than RWD, noticeably on curvy roads. Not sure if this can be applied to the Model 3.

my current car (Audi A3) is actually set up similarly.

for default, it sends power in an 85-15 split to the front and rear wheels, respectively, which boosts fuel economy(range).

but if the computer detects any slippage, it can send up to 100% of power to any one wheel.

And yes, it's fun in corners. :)

so if it works on an ICE, I imagine it will improve handling on the Model 3.

My original Tesla was a P85 Sig (Nov 2012).
My daily driver is now a P85D (Dec 2014).

The latter is in for service, and I have a P85 loaner. The roads were wet today (Bellevue, WA). It took only 2 lights for me to get the tail wiggle in the loaner -- in the 30-40mph range in a straight line. And I wasn't even trying to push the vehicle at all.

If you can't manage to test drive both the D and non-D, try to find friends (or make them) that have D and non-D variants so they can help you feel the difference.

AWD is always nice to have, and even necessary for snowy places. But if you're on a budget (like me), I'd probably stick to RWD or even FWD. That way I can add other possible features like the Tech package. SoCal roads aren't too bad!

While there is the peculiar Tesla-only (so far) benefit of extended range with AWD, it's the increased winter traction that really sells it for me. Once I made the switch to AWD 20 years ago I've never been able to go back. It's a whole new world. Yes, FWD and RWD can be manageable and safe with today's advanced electronic suites. But they will never come close to offering the performance and safety of AWD when the going gets wet, icy or snowy. If you're fortunate enough to live somewhere like Arizona this probably isn't a big deal. But anyone living in N.Y. state should want to tick that box!

Consumer reports recently did an analysis that shows AWD is not a significant improvement vs FWD, unless your stuck in snow.
This was for ICE only.
Thier tests show snow tires are a significant improvement though.

They didn't test my driveway then. Only AWD for me, and I hope M3 has it or I won't be getting one.

Oh, makes sense. I thought I would have to order my options on the 31st

On the 31st and for the next year, your $1000 will only buy you a place in the production queue. Even that will not be exact, if you get the 320th order does not mean you will get the 320th car made.

Optioning and finalization usually starts about three months before production begins. Tesla will have a big party/exhibition where they showcase the features and the final production model to the public. Even then, only the first people in line will get the full details/pricing for the first production cars. The online design studio will come up, typically, around one month or less prior to actual production. Expect a slow ramp that will reach a decent clip three to six months later. Even Tesla does not expect the full 500K per year production until 2020.

So, with Tesla, be patient and expect bad communication and you will probably be happy. If you expect exactness and specifics you will likely be disappointed.