Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD option, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you could perhaps say that the D-models is FWD+RWD (as opposite of normal AWD where one engine drives all 4 wheels), so they have experience with FWD, but not with FWD only ;)
I know you did a winky-face there but just to be clear, the front motor is a slave to the rear in D models. If the rear motor dies the car dies. If the front motor dies the car can still drive on the rear motor. So it would be significant work for them to make an FWD only car.

I know you did a winky-face there but just to be clear, the front motor is a slave to the rear in D models. If the rear motor dies the car dies. If the front motor dies the car can still drive on the rear motor. So it would be significant work for them to make an FWD only car.

Was only half-serious in that comment, but on the other hand, isn't is true that in "range mode" the rear motor is sleeping (most of the time) making it a sort of "FWD" car?

The information about the front motor being a slave was new to me (but not supricing), thanks for the update :)

Was only half-serious in that comment, but on the other hand, isn't is true that in "range mode" the rear motor is sleeping (most of the time) making it a sort of "FWD" car?

The information about the front motor being a slave was new to me (but not supricing), thanks for the update :)
Yes but all of the command and control routes through the rear motor. Here's another way to think about it: The accelerator pedal is only connected to the rear motor :)

In typical snow conditions you can get away with RWD but when you park on a snow-covered street with an incline RWD is almost useless regardless of traction control and snow tires. AWD allows me to drive and park anywhere in the city and not get stuck which is very important to me.

Plus the improved performance.

I'll just leave this here...

(Admittedly, studded snow tires are better than most of us have/use.)
Walter

Aside from Supercharger access and the Michelin tire upgrades (both originally included in S85 and up and optional on 60 - both now included on all Ss I believe,) what options were bundled with battery capacity?
The Performance trim level added Red Caliper Covers and Carbon Fibre Spoiler and was only available with an 85 kWh battery pack originally. There is no Model S P40 or Model S P60. Chrome look inserts at Trunk and Frunk were only available on Model S Founder/Signature vehicles -- which were all 85 kWh capacity. When the 'D' was first introduced, a Model S P85D would have required air suspension, Next Generation Seats, black interior, staggered tires, etc. -- all by default. Tesla Motors relented only after extreme pushback by Customers who wanted other options.

is the 3 guaranteed to be RWD? How do we know its not FWD?
Yes. Elon Musk announced this during the Q2 2015 earnings report. If you'll remember, it was shortly after the Model S 60 was discontinued in favor of the Model S 70D. Several threads here presumed that meant RWD options would be gone once the Model S 85 went away.

Guaranteed is a strong word. We'll know in a couple weeks. But Tesla has repeatedly stated the competition for Model 3 is BMW 3, Audi 4, etc series. They are all RWD or AWD. They have also characterized it as a sport sedan which would also point to RWD or AWD. Further, Tesla has no experience w/ FWD, why would they do it?
As noted above, this was 'guaranteed' last year. And by the way, the base AUDI 4 is front wheel drive. And yes, Tesla Motors has experience with FWD -- they used it on both the Toyota RAV4 EV and the Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric. But no, there is no way Tesla Motors will ever release a FWD version of Model ≡.

I'll just leave this here...

(Admittedly, studded snow tires are better than most of us have/use.)
Walter

I have the Hakka 8 studded right now. Very good winter tires, but that video and my experience still tells me I want AWD on inclines like those near me (upwards of 20% on hairpin turns). Thanks for posting the video though. Nokian's + RWD would likely suffice for most.

Yes. Elon Musk announced this during the Q2 2015 earnings report. If you'll remember, it was shortly after the Model S 60 was discontinued in favor of the Model S 70D. Several threads here presumed that meant RWD options would be gone once the Model S 85 went away.

As noted above, this was 'guaranteed' last year. And by the way, the base AUDI 4 is front wheel drive. And yes, Tesla Motors has experience with FWD -- they used it on both the Toyota RAV4 EV and the Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric. But no, there is no way Tesla Motors will ever release a FWD version of Model ≡.

I'm going to take this info to mean we *could* see a base model 3 with AWD standard. :) Yes, please!

I'm going to take this info to mean we *could* see a base model 3 with AWD standard. :) Yes, please!
I think you misunderstood... Many of us, here, in these forums, had speculated that RWD cars would be GONE from the Tesla Motors lineup for good. That was because the Model S 85 was the sole RWD version on offer, and the Model X had already been announced to NOT have a RWD version in the first half of 2014. Then, Elon dropped the bomb that the base Model ≡ would be Rear Wheel Drive. And some time after, the RWD Model S 70 was added to the roster. So, yes... There will certainly be a Dual Motor AWD version of the Model ≡, but the base version will be RWD.

I think you misunderstood... Many of us, here, in these forums, had speculated that RWD cars would be GONE from the Tesla Motors lineup for good. That was because the Model S 85 was the sole RWD version on offer, and the Model X had already been announced to NOT have a RWD version in the first half of 2014. Then, Elon dropped the bomb that the base Model ≡ would be Rear Wheel Drive. And some time after, the RWD Model S 70 was added to the roster. So, yes... There will certainly be a Dual Motor AWD version of the Model ≡, but the base version will be RWD.

Thank you for clarifying. Truth be told, if Tesla achieves the $35k price point I would the base it to be relatively spartan. I'll just consider it an opportunity to potentially get my Model ≡ earlier by adding another option.

I haven't had that many problems driving with my RWD car. It actually handles better than my ol' '81 Land Cruiser with 4WD. I figure the modern traction control helps more than the 4WD did. I rate AWD as nice to have, but not a deal killer.
exactly - AWD just means you have to be less careful a driver in less than ideal conditions. AWD isn't "safer" than either FWD or RWD, its just safer when you try to do something "ill considered" for the conditions :)