Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD or SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for someone who has driven both a Model 3 AWD and SR+, is the AWD worth it in terms of JUST acceleration and premium sound? I'm debating of just going with the SR+ w/ FSD since my commute is only 36 miles round trip/3 times a week but I don't want to have buyers remorse later on.

Why spend all that money on FSD for a 36 mile commute. I’d rather have a LR RWD with a premium interior and skip the AP/ FSD personally. That will give you 0-60 5.0 sec performance in a $44,500 package.

But to answer your question, the 14 speaker audio in the Premium interior is certainly better than the 8 speaker SR+ audio. In side by side comparisons you will notice a difference. In day to day use you will probably think either sound system is fine.

The AWD will give you better traction in snow and ice. The performance is better, but in day to day driving it’s not that big of a deal. The SR+ is still plenty fast compared to most ICE cars.

Well you can always add FSD, pricy but it can be added.
You CANNOT add
  • Rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Home link Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • A Front Drive Motor
  • More battery for 70 extra miles of range, 5 extra miles top end, and .9 sec faster
  • Fancy Dual motor badge
Home link is available as an add-on but the hardware used in Audio, Front Motor as well as those software unlocks, no

Reactions: Sregor and Need
I'm inclined to agree with @MXWing and @Leafdriver333 -- if I was going to hang on to this for a while, it would be totally worth it to me to get the extra acceleration and better stereo (the longer range being the cherry on top). If the money was tight, I'd skip the FSD and figure I could add that later if I had better cash flow and they released better functionality.

But if this is just to buy time until the Model Y is released or something, I would be fine for 2 years with an SR/+. Still way better than what I came from. :)

Reactions: MXWing
Question for someone who has driven both a Model 3 AWD and SR+, is the AWD worth it in terms of JUST acceleration and premium sound? I'm debating of just going with the SR+ w/ FSD since my commute is only 36 miles round trip/3 times a week but I don't want to have buyers remorse later on.

For just acceleration, absolutely not. There's not that much difference and a Tesla at its worse beats most everyone else at their best.

Premium sound is a listeners question, not a crowd question. Some folks can't tell the difference between an old transistor radio and a performance hall.

• Funny
Okay guys after much thought and careful planning. I went back to Tesla, I test drove both dual motor Model 3 and a Standard Range Plus.

I could not find much difference between both cars off the line, I would probably only notice the difference if I had an SR+ and a Dual Motor stopped next to me and wanted to drag race. The acceleration on both cars from 30-40mph to 60mph was definitely amazing and I didn't feel much difference between both that I would justify a 8k bump for a RWD or 10k bump for a dual motor. I do understand that AWD is better than RWD in slippery situation but I live in St Louis area where we don't get much snow and when we do the cities pretty much shut down and no one works and I wouldn't have to be driving in those situation as opposed to people who do so on a regular basis in Colorado.

I am highly considering getting a Y in 2021-2022. So I would keep the model 3 for 2-3 years. I usually change cars every 3-5 years. So spending additional 8-10 grand for long range and back seat heaters is not a huge concern for me because my work is 7 miles from home and I coach soccer 5 miles away twice a week. I average about 14-16k miles per year. Most of which is all short less than 40 miles per day of driving. I am coming from a lease and I averaged 30-40 miles per day and some weekends longer. I do maybe 3-4 long trips per year from STL to KC, Chicago, Nashiville area..and based on better ev routes its about 45min additional roundtrip times from an SR+ to Long range...so is the 45 minutes less on 3-4 trips per year worth the extra 8-10grand?? I think not. Do I want an AWD YES...do I need it NO. Do I want the back seat warmers yes...do I need it..NO I have no kids and my dog doesn't need seat heaters..hes a GOLDEN DOODLE and is warm enough with his fur lol. Do I need live traffic view...not really the map still uses traffic data to choose route even if you don't see the reds and greens etc.

EDIT: Also I blared the music on both the LR and SR+ and I could not hear much difference except on song with deep base....and only when I had the music literally blaring!! Both premium and partial premium is much better than my Lincoln MKC audio system so... again a win for the SR+

At this point I am going to go ahead and save the 8-10grand and opt for the SR+ White on White. However I might do SR+ White on Black interior with FSD. I will still spend much less than having gotten a comparable LR RWD or AWD. I will make a decision on FSD this week. I plan to put my order middle May so that I can get the car first week of June when I return my lease. Hopefully between now and then there are some sales!! lol

Edit: I plan on saving the 8-10k difference or 3-4k difference (if I get FSD) and adding it to a model Y downpayment fund instead haha
This is good info from someone who drove both.

Reactions: Dr. J
I would say range is more important on AWD than 0-60. For someone like me who drives to ski almost every weekend in the winter and I can do round trip w/o recharging.
How long will you keep the car and are you sure you will not move / your driving routine will not change.

Otherwise, you'll enjoy either one.

I appreciate all of the info. I caved in and just ordered the LR AWD White on White with the 19’’ Sport Wheels so I can stop thinking about it :). I have been configuring a Model 3 multiple times a day and it's not healthy anymore LOL!

I will be keeping the car for a long time and it won't be much of a difference in monthly payments on the Model S that I will be trading in.

Thanks again!

I appreciate all of the info. I caved in and just ordered the LR AWD White on White with the 19’’ Sport Wheels so I can stop thinking about it :). I have been configuring a Model 3 multiple times a day and it's not healthy anymore LOL!

I will be keeping the car for a long time and it won't be much of a difference in monthly payments on the Model S that I will be trading in.

Thanks again!

I just did the exact same thing. After months of deciding between SR and LR AWD, we decided to go all in with the LR AWD, White/White but with aeros. After driving both cars, I realized that it was worth it to spend the extra and get the dual motor. To us, it is just a more refined car and since we have an X already, we definitely wanted that quick up and range that the LR AWD. To each their own though. Both are great great cars. We just liked the LR AWD better. Congrats and you're going to love the car.

I’m in the same boat. I put a deposit down for the LR dual motor w/ autopilot and No FSD. However, I’m wondering if dual motors means your chances of something failing, doubles. Additionally some say the dual motor is less efficient. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time as well. My last car was a 2001 Lexus is300 which I bought brand new. It’s still running, but barely. I’ve never spent this much money on a car, but wife and I were looking at this as an investment. I’m excited about the 4.4 0-60 sec, but reliability is more important to me. Do you guys think the awd is just as reliable as fwd in terms of longevity? Also, I live in FL, so snow and mountains are virtually non-existent. I figured awd might be a little safer in poor weather vs the ladder.

The RWD definitely has better real-world range than the AWD. See LR vs LRD (dual) here: Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com — but either would be way past the SR+.

It’s too soon for real-world long term reliability results, but I haven’t heard of many motor failures or things that suggest the AWD is less reliable. I would make the decision based on range or acceleration or stereo if AWD traction isn’t a concern.

(FWIW I chose acceleration+stereo as my criteria :)

.....I’m wondering if dual motors means your chances of something failing, doubles. Additionally some say the dual motor is less efficient....
If you rear motor goes out you are dead. In an AWD you keep going. Also it is less efficient because Tesla uses an induction motor for the front to improve performance. Induction motors are less efficient. Had Tesla used 2 permanent magnet motors then it would be more efficient. Tesla will likely 'tweak' the software to increase the efficiency and could easily add more power to the AWD.

If you rear motor goes out you are dead. In an AWD you keep going. Also it is less efficient because Tesla uses an induction motor for the front to improve performance. Induction motors are less efficient. Had Tesla used 2 permanent magnet motors then it would be more efficient. Tesla will likely 'tweak' the software to increase the efficiency and could easily add more power to the AWD.

Has anyone actually verified that the motors are considered "redundant"? I've seen lots of speculation but no actual confirmation.

My decision tree was that if I wanted LR AWD, it couldn't be added later... FSD could be added post-sale. That said, I ended up doing both. It hurts up front but I got over it pretty quick ;)