TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 AWD or SR+?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jbolus, May 5, 2019.

1. jbolus

jbolus Member

Question for someone who has driven both a Model 3 AWD and SR+, is the AWD worth it in terms of JUST acceleration and premium sound? I'm debating of just going with the SR+ w/ FSD since my commute is only 36 miles round trip/3 times a week but I don't want to have buyers remorse later on.

2. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Why spend all that money on FSD for a 36 mile commute. I’d rather have a LR RWD with a premium interior and skip the AP/ FSD personally. That will give you 0-60 5.0 sec performance in a $44,500 package.

But to answer your question, the 14 speaker audio in the Premium interior is certainly better than the 8 speaker SR+ audio. In side by side comparisons you will notice a difference. In day to day use you will probably think either sound system is fine.

The AWD will give you better traction in snow and ice. The performance is better, but in day to day driving it’s not that big of a deal. The SR+ is still plenty fast compared to most ICE cars.

3. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 What range anxiety?

If money was not an issue, I would have gotten a 3.2 sec car with no doubt.
    I floor my pedal everyday.

• Like x 1
  4. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Answer depends partly on holding period.

If you plan to exchange in short amount of time go cheap everything.

If you hold for a long time, go AWD and fsd.

• Like x 1
  5. notrhj

notrhj Member

Well you can always add FSD, pricy but it can be added.
    You CANNOT add
    • Rear heated seats
    • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
    • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
    • In-car internet streaming music & media
    • Internet browser
    • Home link Location-aware automatic garage door opener
    • A Front Drive Motor
    • More battery for 70 extra miles of range, 5 extra miles top end, and .9 sec faster
    • Fancy Dual motor badge
    Home link is available as an add-on but the hardware used in Audio, Front Motor as well as those software unlocks, no

• Like x 2
  6. ammulder

ammulder '98 GS400 -> P3D+

I'm inclined to agree with @MXWing and @Leafdriver333 -- if I was going to hang on to this for a while, it would be totally worth it to me to get the extra acceleration and better stereo (the longer range being the cherry on top). If the money was tight, I'd skip the FSD and figure I could add that later if I had better cash flow and they released better functionality.

But if this is just to buy time until the Model Y is released or something, I would be fine for 2 years with an SR/+. Still way better than what I came from. :)

• Like x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

For just acceleration, absolutely not. There's not that much difference and a Tesla at its worse beats most everyone else at their best.

Premium sound is a listeners question, not a crowd question. Some folks can't tell the difference between an old transistor radio and a performance hall.

• Funny x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Well.. you are making a ZL1 cower or you are not.

That’s a five digit consideration.

• Funny x 3
  9. Mikeydeek

Mikeydeek Member

This is good info from someone who drove both.

• Like x 1
  10. jbolus

jbolus Member

This is perfect. Thank you!

11. M3Rider

M3Rider Member

I would say range is more important on AWD than 0-60. For someone like me who drives to ski almost every weekend in the winter and I can do round trip w/o recharging.
    How long will you keep the car and are you sure you will not move / your driving routine will not change.

Otherwise, you'll enjoy either one.

12. jbolus

jbolus Member

I appreciate all of the info. I caved in and just ordered the LR AWD White on White with the 19’’ Sport Wheels so I can stop thinking about it :). I have been configuring a Model 3 multiple times a day and it's not healthy anymore LOL!

I will be keeping the car for a long time and it won't be much of a difference in monthly payments on the Model S that I will be trading in.

Thanks again!

• Like x 2
  13. JulienW

JulienW Member

Now you can start checking your Tesla Account 3 or 4x a day hoping for a VIN.:eek: Requires no thinking and SO much healthier for you.:D

• Funny x 2
  14. jhu2

jhu2 Member

I just did the exact same thing. After months of deciding between SR and LR AWD, we decided to go all in with the LR AWD, White/White but with aeros. After driving both cars, I realized that it was worth it to spend the extra and get the dual motor. To us, it is just a more refined car and since we have an X already, we definitely wanted that quick up and range that the LR AWD. To each their own though. Both are great great cars. We just liked the LR AWD better. Congrats and you're going to love the car.

15. F00FIGHTERS

F00FIGHTERS Member

I’m in the same boat. I put a deposit down for the LR dual motor w/ autopilot and No FSD. However, I’m wondering if dual motors means your chances of something failing, doubles. Additionally some say the dual motor is less efficient. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time as well. My last car was a 2001 Lexus is300 which I bought brand new. It’s still running, but barely. I’ve never spent this much money on a car, but wife and I were looking at this as an investment. I’m excited about the 4.4 0-60 sec, but reliability is more important to me. Do you guys think the awd is just as reliable as fwd in terms of longevity? Also, I live in FL, so snow and mountains are virtually non-existent. I figured awd might be a little safer in poor weather vs the ladder.

16. F00FIGHTERS

F00FIGHTERS Member

I forgot to add, I’m also annoyed that SR+ gives you a limp sound system. That was the only thing that bothered me about it. Very nickel and dime. Would’ve been nice to have the option to just upgrade the system.

17. ammulder

ammulder '98 GS400 -> P3D+

The RWD definitely has better real-world range than the AWD. See LR vs LRD (dual) here: Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com — but either would be way past the SR+.

It’s too soon for real-world long term reliability results, but I haven’t heard of many motor failures or things that suggest the AWD is less reliable. I would make the decision based on range or acceleration or stereo if AWD traction isn’t a concern.

(FWIW I chose acceleration+stereo as my criteria :)

18. JulienW

JulienW Member

If you rear motor goes out you are dead. In an AWD you keep going. Also it is less efficient because Tesla uses an induction motor for the front to improve performance. Induction motors are less efficient. Had Tesla used 2 permanent magnet motors then it would be more efficient. Tesla will likely 'tweak' the software to increase the efficiency and could easily add more power to the AWD.

19. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Has anyone actually verified that the motors are considered "redundant"? I've seen lots of speculation but no actual confirmation.

My decision tree was that if I wanted LR AWD, it couldn't be added later... FSD could be added post-sale. That said, I ended up doing both. It hurts up front but I got over it pretty quick ;)

• Like x 1
  20. AKinDC

AKinDC Member

Does AWD help in rain, or is it just snow?
    I'm also deciding between the LR and LRD...