Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD / Performance - lower UDDS Range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla treats Model 3 reservations holders like mushrooms.

These tests should've been done and publicized before opening the floodgates of order invitations so that buyers could make informed decisions. And Tesla should be honest about efficiency/range differences between models instead of (apparently(?)) concealing advantages of the cheaper version by fudging the EPA numbers to make the more expensive version look better in comparison.
Chill out. This isn’t the complete data yet. Get the full picture before getting pissy. We get it you waited a while for your car (like everyone else) but wait till all the information comes out and make a decision. BTW, they promised 310 miles, this test shows well over 400.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Dude, doesn't matter, AWD is still faster :) It's 100% of the reason why I'm getting it instead of RWD.

For me it avoids a winter tire change. IMO AWD is essentially a free upgrade for drivers in snow country. As good as EV traction control is, I'm not driving a real wheel drive car on all season tires in the winter as my primary vehicle.

These tests should've been done and publicized before opening the floodgates of order invitations so that buyers could make informed decisions. And Tesla should be honest about efficiency/range differences between models instead of (apparently(?)) concealing advantages of the cheaper version by fudging the EPA numbers to make the more expensive version look better in comparison.

Tesla is Tesla. You want in early you are a beta tester. Many people will wait to purchase until the model 3 is more mature.

For me it avoids a winter tire change. IMO AWD is essentially a free upgrade for drivers in snow country. As good as EV traction control is, I'm not driving a real wheel drive car on all season tires in the winter as my primary vehicle.

Generally speaking tires matter a lot more than drive train.

In most conditions a RWD car with snow tires will be significantly better/safer than an AWD car on all-seasons (which are called that because they suck- in all seasons).

(obviously AWD and snow tires gets you best of both worlds though)

Generally speaking tires matter a lot more than drive train.

In most conditions a RWD car with snow tires will be significantly better/safer than an AWD car on all-seasons (which are called that because they suck- in all seasons).

(obviously AWD and snow tires gets you best of both worlds though)

It's a complicated situation.

In pure traction a 2wd vehicle with snow rated tires can outperform an AWD vehicle with stock all season tires. I've seen this on Mt. Hood in a snow storm where a lot of SUVs with California plates could not travel up the incline.

But, in a more common situation like being plowed into a parking space, the ability to vector the front wheels is probably preferable than winter tires on a RWD car.

For me AWD with no tire change is the choice based on experience. If I lived in the mountains of Colorado I would make a different choice.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Yeah, people are too crazy about AWD in the winter. I grew up in the Boston area and in high school I drove an 88 RX7 with all-season tires and never really got stuck. Later in life I had a Miata with full set of snow tires and unless I was trying to drive through snow banks, I had no problem getting around. Tires really make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: John Beans
Yeah, people are too crazy about AWD in the winter. I grew up in the Boston area and in high school I drove an 88 RX7 with all-season tires and never really got stuck. Later in life I had a Miata with full set of snow tires and unless I was trying to drive through snow banks, I had no problem getting around. Tires really make all the difference in the world.

I think people also forget that AWD really only helps them go forward. No thought to turning or braking with all-seasons vs. snow tires.

I think people also forget that AWD really only helps them go forward. No thought to turning or braking with all-seasons vs. snow tires.
For some definition of forward. When sideways is the best way forward, particularly if it's a sideways to counter the sideways your vehicle just unexpectedly headed towards, AWD is often quite helpful in avoiding the necessity of stopping. :)

Frankly, winter tires or not, at the point I feel the need to use the brakes on snow/ice I've pretty much thrown in the towel and given up on "driving".

450,000 mushrooms, that is.

For some definition of forward. When sideways is the best way forward, particularly if it's a sideways to counter the sideways your vehicle just unexpectedly headed towards, AWD is often quite helpful in avoiding the necessity of stopping. :)

Frankly, winter tires or not, at the point I feel the need to use the brakes on snow/ice I've pretty much thrown in the towel and given up on "driving".

My educated guess is that snow tires would very likely reduce the probability of "unexpected sideways-ness" :)

OK, I agree that it would be great to have the EPA numbers now and be able to test drive all of these vehicles. And to not have to conjecture what is really different with the P models. What I don't agree with is how you are assigning responsibility. The purchasers need to make an informed decision as you said but it is on them to determine when they have sufficient info to make that decision. No one is holding a gun to their head. If they want to get the car sooner they have to make do with less information. Would you prefer that Tesla not let anyone order at all until all this information were available? That would reduce access to the car for people that have a different threshold for what information they need to purchase something.

And I don't see that Tesla is doing anything underhanded in the efficiency ratings. The normal issue with EPA numbers is that few cars at all will ever meet them. Especially hybrids in my experience with few exceptions. So instead Tesla is understating the numbers. They aren't overcommitting to anyone what the capabilities are.