Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD price reduction, then increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was reading this article below how the AWD option was increased for the model 3 to 5k usd after about a month of being at a reduced price of 4k usd:

Tesla increases price of Model 3 Dual Motor and a few other options

Hers the original article about the price reduction, which showed the cdn price for AWD at 69,400...and now it's 70,700. So those who already ordered AWD effectively paid 1300 less than someone ordering today.

Tesla updates Model 3 options and pricing, dual motor becomes cheaper, adds color, and more

So, I know a lot of folks here from Ontario were holding out on their RWD orders hoping for something to happen with the rebate, and said might switch to AWD....well waiting appears to have just cost another 1300 if you didn't already change ...

Price for paint has increased as well by 700 cdn for most colours (2k add on) and 600 (2.6k add on) for red and white...so the same config I ordered over a month ago (AWD/blue) is now 2k more expensive..

I'm thankful they didn't increase the price of
EAP, which I was actually planning to add this morning as a modification to my original order...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Was reading this article below how the AWD option was increased for the model 3 to 5k usd after about a month of being at a reduced price of 4k usd:

Hers the original article about the price reduction, which showed the cdn price for AWD at 69,400...and now it's 70,700. So those who already ordered AWD effectively paid 1300 less than someone ordering today.

Tesla updates Model 3 options and pricing, dual motor becomes cheaper, adds color, and more

So, I know a lot of folks here from Ontario were holding out on their RWD orders hoping for something to happen with the rebate, and said might switch to AWD....well waiting appears to have just cost another 1300 if you didn't already change ...

Price for paint has increased as well by 700 cdn for most colours (2k add on) and 600 (2.6k add on) for red and white...so the same config I ordered over a month ago (AWD/blue) is now 2k more expensive..

EAP, which I was actually planning to add this morning as a modification to my original order...

Ok Tesla this price flux is BS...

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and adaptabl

Will New orders be getting new AP hardware included though?

Ah, thanks. Interesting that this looks like it will be a 'free' upgrade when released. That's pretty awesome of Tesla. Imagine if other car companies did something similar... This is making me feel even more comfortable about sticking with my order despite no rebates...

I hope that the writer of this article is correct (about it being a free upgrade), but I have very serious doubts about this. Especially given the author's round about wording.

"Tesla has previously said that this upgrade will be offered for free since Tesla has been advertising Autopilot 2.0 cars as being fully autonomous ready and therefore, any upgrade to make it fully autonomous should be free."

Tesla can easily argue that Autopilot 2.0 cars (with the current chip) will be fully autonomous ... but that the new AI chip will just make them better (if you pay for the upgrade).

FYI, I just called Tesla because I had requested to add EAP after this pricing change and I wanted to confirm it would not affect my exiting pricing...I was told that it in fact would affect pricing despite the fact that I was told on tuesday that adding EAP could be done 'the day before delivery' with no penalty.

So, word of warning to those considering changing their order. Its cheaper for me to just add EAP as an OTA update rather than do it now, but likely what will happen is I wont add it at all, so Tesla lost this extra bit of 'free' revenue from me on this round by now allowing me to add EAP without altering paint/AWD pricing. :(

Probably a blessing in disguise...it saves me money in the long run :)