Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference only. YMMV, or YRMV.

I frequently travel between Loomis, CA and Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA, and the one way trip is 211 miles. My S85D usually makes the trip with 25 miles of remaining range, but it has been as low as 6 miles. It’s been a great car, and, with 43,830 miles on the clock, it still charges from 260-265 miles at 100% (down from the original 270 miles). I’ve charged it to 100% more times than I can remember (approximately 2-4 times a month for the past 32 months), so I’m not sure about all those dire warnings of battery degradation.

More relevant to this forum, I took delivery of an M3 AWD on Tuesday, August 28th (18” with Aeros). I went back and forth about RWD vs. AWD because range is really important to me. I ultimately decided to take a chance on the AWD.

I charged the M3 to 90% this morning, which was 279 miles of range. By the time I left my house, the range was at 278. I then drove non-stop to Carmel. A/C was on and set to 4. Music was on.

The total trip was 211 miles: 3 miles were on surface streets, and 208 miles were on highways (for locals: highway 80 west; 680; 101 south; 156; and 1 south to Ocean Ave.). Total travel time: 3 hours, 17 minutes. Elevation change between Loomis and Carmel: -220 feet.

I used a mix of Autopilot, adaptive cruise control, and regular one pedal driving. Autopilot and adaptive cruise were set to 72 mph. I was able to maintain 72 mph for most of the trip, with the notable exceptions of an 11 minute stop and go stretch near Gilroy, CA and a 4 mile long 55 mph stretch of highway 156 (between 101 and 1).

Remaining range at arrival in Carmel: 74 miles.

M3 AWD.jpg

I don't think I could manage that with my RWD on 19" sports wheels so the aero's do make a larger difference than I thought.
On my road trips so far I have been loaded down with luggage and 3 or 4 people and traveling 75 to 80 most of the time, probably more elevation changes and I get about 255 to 260 wh/mi so....? Maybe in your conditions I would have done close to yours?

I don't think I could manage that with my RWD on 19" sports wheels so the aero's do make a larger difference than I thought.
On my road trips so far I have been loaded down with luggage and 3 or 4 people and traveling 75 to 80 most of the time, probably more elevation changes and I get about 255 to 260 wh/mi so....? Maybe in your conditions I would have done close to yours?
255-260 with all that extra weight is still pretty impressive... maybe the 19's on the stock tires will only have a 2-3% range penalty vs the 18s...

Reactions: KenF
255-260 with all that extra weight is still pretty impressive... maybe the 19's on the stock tires will only have a 2-3% range penalty vs the 18s...
At highway speeds, the range hit on the 19s is closer to 10%.

The op has nearly the best possible AWD configuration for range in CA. The best configuration would be aero wheels + white exterior + white interior + ceramic tinted windows. The cooler the car, the less the need to run the A/C and the less power needed to keep the battery cool.

Last edited:
My "commute" between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC over the last 1,000 miles has been at around 260 Wh/mi. OBM (Black) LR AWD with 18" Aero's. Should note that I'm generally between 75-82 MPH for several long stretches and about 125-130 KPH through the Delta area. Ambient outdoor temperature is between 70F to 90F (21C to 32C) until recently. No rain, dry pavement. Interior temperature set to 68F (20C).

Your numbers are great!

• Helpful
Reactions: Carotene
Return trip - Carmel, CA to Berkeley, CA (short visit with my daughter) to Loomis, CA.

Total miles: 250.7. Wh: 233. I started with 291 miles of range, and ended with 43 miles remaining. I had one passenger on the return trip. I think it was about 90% highway miles with mostly light traffic. Average speed was around 65 mph.

Return trip.jpg

Reactions: GermanMIII and DR61