Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harsh title, I know. It's true though. For a bit of context, I already own a Model S and love the backup camera. I know, the M3 isn't the MS... but wow... the M3's backup camera is seriously awful.

There is a terrible fisheye effect going on and the camera is so dark, in both day and night situations, that I thought the lens was covered with something. I have since checked out the lens and it is clean an unobstructed.

With my Model S I rely on the camera for backing down the driveway and parking. I love it. It inspires confidence when reversing.

With my Model 3 I sigh every time I put the car in reverse. It is worse than a 2000 year end vehicle from just about any manufacturer. The camera is so bad that I can't tell how close I am to other cars, etc...

I can't imagine that the MS camera cost that much more... I also can't imagine Elon has seen how bad this thing is. I wonder if it is just mine or if this is a common thing.

I have attached a few quick pictures (which oddly enough look better than reality).

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 640
That’s just sad. Yeah, I love and rely a lot on the camera in the S too, so much so I leave it on fulltime in the top half of the screen even when driving forward. I guess that’d not be possible or would be too embarrassing and bugging in the 3.

The S itself went through a hardware upgrade for the camera in the initial years and some improvements were seen through firmware updates too as I vaguely recall. Hope for the same in the 3.

That’s just sad. Yeah, I love and rely a lot on the camera in the S too, so much so I leave it on fulltime in the top half of the screen even when driving forward. I guess that’d not be possible or would be too embarrassing and bugging in the 3.

I really hope that
1. They can improve the quality in software and
2. that simultaneous camera & nav becomes a thing in the 3. In the S I used the camera all the time because the visibility via the rearview mirror is pretty crappy, and really enjoyed the added info a lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
FWIW, I've been riding (mostly) shotgun in my sister's Model 3 for 2 1/2 days now (sometimes driving) - and it never once occurred to me that the backup camera was anything but fine. I think this is a nonissue, honestly. It's different, yes. But it's not unacceptable.

Have you seen the Model S camera. Night and day. One is 2017 good and one is 1997 bad.

The S itself went through a hardware upgrade for the camera in the initial years and some improvements were seen through firmware updates too as I vaguely recall. Hope for the same in the 3.

Sooooo hope you are right!

Those pictures look as good as the backup camera in my ICE car that has all the fancy upgrades. And this was a massive improvement over the Prius I had, which had NO backup camera and a horrible view out the back. I realize it's not fair to compare a Tesla to a Toyota, but that's my only perspective.

I also have a 2010 Prius and will shoot a video of both tomorrow to show a comparison.

Sorry. Was more interested in the cars than the amount of posts.

I am not challenging what you say about the camera on your model 3. But before posting a sarcastic reply, you may want to check to whom you are talking to. Bonnie is one of the most respected forum members here, had close connections with Tesla for a very long time, and knows quite a bit about all Tesla models.

I am not challenging what you say about the camera on your model 3. But before posting a sarcastic reply, you may want to check to whom you are talking to. Bonnie is one of the most respected forum members here, had close connections with Tesla for a very long time, and knows quite a bit about all Tesla models.

Good thing I didn't post anything sarcastic. It was an honest question. Back to what matters to me... the car. Geesh.