Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Rear view camera image goes black [2019-2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the rear view camera doesn't work sometimes. Like it takes a while for it to boot up, and maybe like 10-20 min later, when I go to park, it will work. But when I leave a parking spot or my house, I see a black screen that won't show me what is behind me.

It did it once and just thought it was a fluke, but it happens on and off now. And I want to be sure if this is something I should bring up to the main guy who sold me this Tesla. I don't think it's broken because it will work eventually, but I just see a black screen sometimes when I leave the house.

After sitting all alone overnight, my Tesla has a hard time waking up (maybe it’s not a morning person). I first have to open the back door next to the charge port to get the car to release the charge cable … that’s starts the wake-up process. Then sitting in the driver’s seat turns on the headlights and that sort of shakes my car to start the wake-up-now process (I think it has to boot up the software, and that takes time). The screen is still black and I can’t open my garage door until I can see the garage door icon; that may take 15 to 30 seconds. Once the screen is alive, things start working normally. So I hit the garage door icon, the garage door opens, I put the car in reverse and … instead of seeing my backup cam I get my calendar. Touching the X to close the calendar reveals my backup cam. Now things finally begin to work normally. Maybe HW3, being a faster processor, might help this issue?

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
So the rear view camera doesn't work sometimes. Like it takes a while for it to boot up, and maybe like 10-20 min later, when I go to park, it will work. But when I leave a parking spot or my house, I see a black screen that won't show me what is behind me.

It did it once and just thought it was a fluke, but it happens on and off now. And I want to be sure if this is something I should bring up to the main guy who sold me this Tesla. I don't think it's broken because it will work eventually, but I just see a black screen sometimes when I leave the house.

I have had occasionally. Not aggravating enough for a service visit by itself, but it is on my list next time I bring car in. I’ve had good luck turning camera window off then on again with camera button to make it work.

After sitting all alone overnight, my Tesla has a hard time waking up (maybe it’s not a morning person). I first have to open the back door next to the charge port to get the car to release the charge cable … that’s starts the wake-up process. Then sitting in the driver’s seat turns on the headlights and that sort of shakes my car to start the wake-up-now process (I think it has to boot up the software, and that takes time). The screen is still black and I can’t open my garage door until I can see the garage door icon; that may take 15 to 30 seconds. Once the screen is alive, things start working normally. So I hit the garage door icon, the garage door opens, I put the car in reverse and … instead of seeing my backup cam I get my calendar. Touching the X to close the calendar reveals my backup cam. Now things finally begin to work normally. Maybe HW3, being a faster processor, might help this issue?
This reboot is different issue. But I also have. Not just in AM but half the time when I start car. Even if I just left it for 5 minutes. I’ve heard that it is an error occurring as screen tries to wake up, causing reboot.

In both cases, for the two weeks before you bring car in to service, write down date/time of each occurrence. This will help service locate problem in the car’s logs. (The car only retains 2 weeks of logs so don’t start earlier)

I had this happen several times over the weekend. Seems like a software bug. It was a bit unnerving to go back to camera-free parallel parking in Manhattan. It‘s easy to become dependent on these systems very quickly. I also don‘t find it worth going in to SC for, especially with an imminent software update.

hoping this is a firmware issue, but my rear camera shows up black a lot more than I would consider acceptable. I usually put back into park or drive and then flip back to reverse. It works sometimes and sometimes the camera just doesn’t show up on screen.

This a known issue?
Mine is black 90% or the time when starting, after a few seconds it comes on and life is good. Assuming software bug with 8.5

I was just about to ask the same question. My camera always starts out with 3-5 seconds of black recently (the past 3-4 weeks or so). It is starting to get a little tiresome. Glad that others are having the same problem as it means it should get fixed in a future update (hopefully soon).

Moderator note: five threads, all about the same topic, were merged to make this thread.

Our cars have been having this very annoying delay or in some instances, complete black out, for the backup camera. It’s very inconvenient. We’ve tried many resets. We’re on software 2019.12.1.2. Anyone having this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had it happen once on 12.1.2 at a supercharger.

I've seen it in previous releases either in a large delay or where I had to hit the backup to turn it off/on to get it to come up properly.

But, with 12.1.2 neither of those worked. I ended up shifting it from reverse to drive, and then back to reverse to get it to come up. So quite a bit of a hassle.

Has only happened once with 12.1.2 though so maybe a 5% failure rate since installing 12.1.2 a few days ago.

12.1.2 broke it on mine. I've had a issue nearly once per day since the update where the touchscreen is non-responsive, the display doesn't show the correct gear (R, P or D), the backup camera is black and other weird stuff on the screen. Reboot fixes it...until approximately the next day. On my car, anything of this type was exceedingly rare before 12.1.2.

The black out of backup camera happened to me quite often while I was on version 8.5. The blackout lasted about 1 to 2 sec. on a first use of each trip. If I switched on the backup camera again within a minute again. It seemed to be fine. After recent software upgrade to 12.1.1 and 12.1.2, the backup camera seemed reacting instantly until the past few days. The momentarily black out is now appearing for half of a sec. in most cases. It seems to me it is related to the performance of the software after a long term of use. With a refresh of the software upgrade, the operation system of the software might work faster... I am feeling this is a typical performance degradation in the memory of the system affecting certain the response on certain type of on demand command or operation.