Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 base range concerns.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have reservation for a Model 3 and debating on which range model to get and if I can eventually afford the long range version. The base range of around 350 KM seems unsuitably lean for Australian conditions. For a car that may cost $55,000 on the road it also seems very poor value for money. The longer range version is a hefty premium and bringing the price over $70,000. A return highway trip of around 3 hours will require a top up charge and another charge on completion to avoid cutting a fine line on reserve range. I live in Melbourne and most longer range trips I do are medium range between 150-200KM. I imagine most trips from Melbourne by locals are of these medium ranges also. If I went to Bendigo, I would have barely enough to complete the round trip with some reserve left. Other very popular destination like the Surf Coast and Phillip Island will also be an issue of usable range. Given the projected increase in electric cars there may not be enough chargers at popular destinations during busy times like on weekends to top up without a wait. IMO Australians spec cars should have extended base range of at least 400KM. If not I could see this as deal breaker for many prospective Tesla buyers.

Or, on the flip side, because of the increasing numbers of EVs there will be many more charging spots opening up?
Thanks for your reply but that means I have to find a vacant charger and allow time for charging which may be an inconvenience or impractical for a day of half day trip that requires three or four hours driving on the road. Day trips would not be much fun for the family if I have made a diversion to charge up and waste time. What is ideal is an electric car that can complete a round rip of moderate range without the need to add extra charge at some point. Every other car can do that. No problem if I had to drive 600km. A break whilst charging will be great.

Melbourne - Airey's - Melbourne isn't likely doable on the standard range Model 3 based on abetterrouteplanner, but Torquay is listed as a location for a future Supercharger as well as Warrnambool. Would hope they're built by the time the Model 3 is available here.

Tesla Superchargers in Australia | Tesla Australia

You can get to Adelaide from Melbourne with Superchargers in the standard range Model 3; I checked that 'cause it's something I would want to be able to do. I set the consumption at 190Wh/km, which is probably an overestimate unless you're driving into a raging hot north-westerly. I tend to stop a few times on that drive anyway, lunch in Horsham, which is where the Supercharger is, conveniently. Whole trip shouldn't take me any longer in a Model 3 than it does in my current vehicle - which doesn't go above 90km/h unless it's downhill... And no air-con'.

Not sure Phillip Island will be easy for a while yet. I'll still need a combustion engine to camp at the Prom' and the Gippsland hills.

Tried to check whether I could drive to Adelaide with a Leaf or a Zoe: not without taking multiple days. No getting around the fact that driving an electric car in much of Australia is much less convenient than a petrol one currently is, and without the Supercharger network it's a whole different type of "impractical".

Cheers, A.

Reactions: dhrivnak
if you're doing trips that involve long distances all the time, and either aren't near a supercharger or you don't want to visit a supercharger - by all means, go for the long range (500 km) version.

Remember its going to be another 18 months until the 3 gets here, consider how much the supercharger network will grow in the meantime. And remember if you have a particular location that you frequently visit and plan to visit in the Model 3 (and it's a place where you car will normally be parked for a few hours anyway) why not ask them if they want to install a destination charger?

Charging Partners | Tesla Australia

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Well I hope they put a supercharger in Bendigo which is a major destination and a regular destination for me. The round trip is a modest 280Km, so that leaves me very little charge in reserve for driving around town in a base Model 3. For a car that is supposed to shine on the open road it’s not good enough. It’s like the old days when buying a computer. They were hugely expensive but next to useless with the included base memory. The catch was to upgrade to double the memory with cost an extra small fortune and then it was just adequate.

if you're doing trips that involve long distances all the time, and either aren't near a supercharger or you don't want to visit a supercharger - by all means, go for the long range (500 km) version.

Remember its going to be another 18 months until the 3 gets here, consider how much the supercharger network will grow in the meantime. And remember if you have a particular location that you frequently visit and plan to visit in the Model 3 (and it's a place where you car will normally be parked for a few hours anyway) why not ask them if they want to install a destination charger?

Charging Partners | Tesla Australia
Yes I might have to go for the long range version but the price premium may be an issue I have to sort out. I have a long time to think about it.

This is the current reality of electric personal transportation. While the benefits of electric vehicles are great, no urban pollution, lower fuel costs, great throttle response and excellent driving response due to the lower center of gravity, quiet operation etc, the one issue still there is that they have relatively small fuel tanks, and take longer to charge than fueling a gas vehicle.

Change is difficult, and if you are unwilling to spend the addtional time to charge up, you may not qualify for EV ownership.

The alternative is to burn polluting gasoline/diesel, carry around 20 or so gallons of explosive fuel, deal with the unpleasant sounds the ICE motors make, etc.

In your case spending the additional funds to buy the long range battery might be your only alternative if you want to go electric.

Early USA Tesla owners faced these same challenges, and found ways to make their trips. Sometimes they needed to be inventive, stopping at welding shops or RV parks to find 220V chargers. They have some of the best stories and adventures to talk about, but with the current build out of Superchargers they now have pretty smooth sailing.

On long trips, many comment how refreshed they arrive, due to an occasional stop for juice. When they had ICE vehicles they often drove straight through, but arrived exhausted from the trek.

This is the current reality of electric personal transportation. While the benefits of electric vehicles are great, no urban pollution, lower fuel costs, great throttle response and excellent driving response due to the lower center of gravity, quiet operation etc, the one issue still there is that they have relatively small fuel tanks, and take longer to charge than fueling a gas vehicle.

Change is difficult, and if you are unwilling to spend the addtional time to charge up, you may not qualify for EV ownership.

The alternative is to burn polluting gasoline/diesel, carry around 20 or so gallons of explosive fuel, deal with the unpleasant sounds the ICE motors make, etc.

In your case spending the additional funds to buy the long range battery might be your only alternative if you want to go electric.

Early USA Tesla owners faced these same challenges, and found ways to make their trips. Sometimes they needed to be inventive, stopping at welding shops or RV parks to find 220V chargers. They have some of the best stories and adventures to talk about, but with the current build out of Superchargers they now have pretty smooth sailing.

On long trips, many comment how refreshed they arrive, due to an occasional stop for juice. When they had ICE vehicles they often drove straight through, but arrived exhausted from the trek.
Remember that there have been seven Model Ss (and one Leaf) accross the Nulabor - this is all doable.
I've done Brisbane Sydney return six times so far in my Model S. Also driven to Melbourne and Townsville.

Reactions: Mark E
@Chooflaki I had the same worries as you (Melbourne - Bendigo and return same day) however even though I chewed up the juice on the way to Bendigo the altitude drop on the return put more back in that came out...I only used 330km's to total include a little running about in Bendigo - was up for the Easter Parade.

In my post I have included where I charged (turns out I didn't need to, and that it pumps in 55km's per hour) and some screenshots showing how little kilowatts got used on the return. I have 21inch wheels also so apparently uses more than the 19inch wheels.

Malvern East ---> Bendigo (return, same day)

I have never felt I needed more range, always get worried before a trip and then kick myself after as it was a non-issue.

I think if you are going to buy an EV and expect to be able to drive it exactly like an ICE vehicle then you're going to be disappointed. You need to get in to the mindset that round trips to destinations either have to fall within the vehicle's typical range or you plan to charge whilst at the destination. Sure, longer range extends how far your daytrips can be without charging, but with tradeoffs. And whatever range you have someone might want to trip just a bit further than that.. FWIW I've got less range than a base Model 3 and have never had an issue with day trips or multiple trips to Sydney and Adelaide, but I don't expect to just be able to go 'anywhere', at least not yet!

Chooflaki,
Australia is so far behind the rest of the developed world in terms of EV adoption, but you have to understand, that it is not always going to be like this. Every day brings us closer to the tipping point, when fast-charging stations will be popping up everywhere like mushrooms. It might even happen before the arrival of Model 3 and once it has happened you should be fine even with a less than 300km range.

I might be wrong, but this is the may reason why I decided to go for a 75kWh, rather than 100kWh battery when buying my Model S last year. Yes, we have an ICE car as a backup, but it has had very little use since we got Tesla.

@Chooflaki I had the same worries as you (Melbourne - Bendigo and return same day) however even though I chewed up the juice on the way to Bendigo the altitude drop on the return put more back in that came out...I only used 330km's to total include a little running about in Bendigo - was up for the Easter Parade.

In my post I have included where I charged (turns out I didn't need to, and that it pumps in 55km's per hour) and some screenshots showing how little kilowatts got used on the return. I have 21inch wheels also so apparently uses more than the 19inch wheels.

Malvern East ---> Bendigo (return, same day)

I have never felt I needed more range, always get worried before a trip and then kick myself after as it was a non-issue.
Thanks for your link and reassurance. I was at the Easter festival also and that’s what got me thinking about how a Tesla 3 would have managed the trip. My current car will do the return trip twice on one tank easily so it was something to chew over. It’s not the very long trips along main highways that concern me but these shorter return trips that may take me away from charger locations and the need to possibly add a diversion to find a charger and associated time involved.

Thanks also to Lennier and Tasdoc and all. ICE cars don’t interest me anymore and yes I agree things will get better with the charging situation. I am hooked line and sinker after driving a S P100D. The good thing is that I have plenty of time to make up my mind and sort finances if I want the longer range. If I have to, I’ll settle for the shorter range and listen to the advice.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
You have lots of time before you can put an actual order on a Model 3 in Australia. Evaluate the charging infrastructure at that time. Don't buy based on expected infrastructure because it may not materialize in the expected time frame. Some people bought on the "promised" Supercharger network in Canada and were very sore about how slow the Supercharger build out came. Of course, it eventually did come and now there are no worries, but there was a year to two delay to meet the initial aspirational plan.

There aren't Superchargers everywhere, but there are destination chargers. I'd stop for lunch at the City Centre Motel, and charge up at their Telsa charger. Assuming an hour's stop that would put another 54 km in your tank, you should be good to go. If you're prepared to buy a 3 phase plug, you could go to the North Bendigo Exhibition Centre. Plugshare is your friend. Or you could come back via Ballarat. There are lots of options.

With the CHAdeMO adaptor and Tesla's SuperChargers, we have fast chargers from Adelaide to Cairns easily even if you only have 200 km range. My car has the best part of 400 km (and it's getting better) so I can often skip every second charger. Yes, if one stops for lunch or overnight, it's handy if there is some sort of charger there as well.
Also remember the intrepid seven who have circumnavigated the country in Tesla.

Reactions: nigwil and Chuq
Hi @Chooflaki
My S75D has about 370km range.
I’ve had my car about 18 months and in that time the number of chargers has at least doubled. It will be about another 18 months before the M3 gets here.
When I first got my car the only way to get to Brisbane from Sydney was to charge at Coffs Harbour Showgrounds for many hours, then at an optometrists in Ballina :)
As I type this I’m in Surfers Paradise after a very easy drive (autopilot all the way) with the car plugged into the hotels charger.
Wait 18 months then re-assess.

• Informative
Reactions: Rawbznz