Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery Heating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged at 40 degrees on a cold battery today - time from 70-90% was about an hour. Started at 8kw and was up to 15kw when it finished. Obviously not ideal but the charger is in a mall downtown and I had plenty of holiday errands to run, and work email to write. Worked out fine for me.

I’m using superchargers until my home box install by Tesla in 2.5 weeks. Sorry to those who seem incredibly grumpy about that, but with 8 of 30 supercharge slots in downtown Boston occupied today, pretty sure things were fine.

Reactions: GSP
seems odd to me that the batteries are having any problem ar temps around 50 F. The problems should be near and below zero.
I had my Model 3 in my garage, plugged in for the last two days (and not driving it) charged to 90%. Temp in the garage was 50-51 degrees. I took it out today and as soon as I started driving, it said, "Regen Limited".

It doesn't seem to take "very low" temperatures to get the regen limited message.

I had my Model 3 in my garage, plugged in for the last two days (and not driving it) charged to 90%. Temp in the garage was 50-51 degrees. I took it out today and as soon as I started driving, it said, "Regen Limited".

It doesn't seem to take "very low" temperatures to get the regen limited message.
Question is: 'How much regen available?' In my Model S I can see the excact regen available and. Is there any way to see/estimatehow much regen in kW you have in Model 3? Full regen in S is 70kW. Last limit is 45kW-regen. When outside temp is about 15C I get 45kW-regen. It's still limited, but it sure brakes a lot. Only time I notice difference from full regen is when braking max with regen from 80km/h or greater speed.

Your SoC at 90% most likely is causing at least part of the limited regen. You will have limited regen dots usually until you drop down to 82-84% SoC.

Reactions: outdoors
On my Model S, reget-limit disappears when below 95% soc. Have you tested this on M3?

Yeah. It's pretty well known on the Model 3 that limited regen dots don't really disappear until you're under about 82%, least on the LR AWD model. Regen is extremely strong. I haven't found any official numbers anywhere, but estimates are it's close to 60kW at full regen, which the BMS won't allow at that SoC.

Reactions: outdoors
seems odd to me that the batteries are having any problem ar temps around 50 F. The problems should be near and below zero.
You're talking about this as if it's a light switch. One degree under the limit: "PROBLEMS". One degree over the limit: "NO PROBLEMS". It doesn't work that way. You can graph it as a curve, and the safe amps of charging continually shifts with temperatures. These will start to have a slight bit of limiting about 50 degrees or less, but it's not very noticeable in your driving there. There will gradually be a bit more limiting the lower down it goes. Around the 20's and 30's Fahrenheit, yes, it's very noticeable and nearly gone.

And I still wouldn't describe it as the battery "having problems". The car is treating it cautiously to avoid subjecting the battery to a harsh condition that would make it have a problem.

Basically, the Model 3 doesn't have a battery heater but instead uses waste heat to attempt to warm the pack.

Yes and no. In addition to using waste heat from driving to heat the battery, it can actively heat the battery by generating up to 4 kW of waste heat if it decides that it needs to. Heating is fully controllable via software. If Tesla decides that slow charging in cold weather is a problem, they can make the heating algorithm more aggressive.

It is ~37°F out. I got the snowflake (left car out of garage on purpose) but no battery heat icon when preconditioning.
FB946450-FAF8-472C-AF14-D6C5A4C86208.jpeg DDDACE4A-AA1D-4B2D-B0A9-6CDA7C3D33C0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and spaghetti
I didn’t preheat long. Maybe five minutes. Sadly put the car in the garage to charge last night so I won’t be able to try longer. We didn’t go anywhere yesterday.
Okay. If are able to, can you try to preheat the car after a night in similar temps without charging and see if batteryheating kicks in after a few minutes and what sort of regen you get? :)

If track mode can dump the AC through the battery coolant loop radiator is there any reason they couldn't redirect the cabin heater air through the coolant loops radiator as well? Would be a very large drain to run that wide open when you are driving but seems like something that might make sense when plugged into a supercharger.