Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I have the dual motor long range model 3, I have never charged to 100% yet, but am planning a road trip.
I went to the Tesla app and when i moved the charge indicator to full charge it seems to indicate I will only charge to 302 miles.
I have always thought that the full range was 348 miles, have i got a problem with my car or is this a normal situation.
I would appreciate any thoughts or comments or advice please

Hi
I have the dual motor long range model 3, I have never charged to 100% yet, but am planning a road trip.
I went to the Tesla app and when i moved the charge indicator to full charge it seems to indicate I will only charge to 302 miles.
I have always thought that the full range was 348 miles, have i got a problem with my car or is this a normal situation.
I would appreciate any thoughts or comments or advice please
I see 300 miles for an M3P. I suspect it's a BMS calibration issue so I'm going to try running quite low and then a few 95% charges to see if it corrects itself. I usually charge to 80% but apparently you need to throw in a few low to high charges to keep the BMS calibrated

Its really 310 but anything in 300-310 range is ok - it will vary up and down over time.

The battery range on display knows nothing about your driving or journey (trip energy graph is what you want for that) so mileage is based upon an approx 225 wh/mile usage for the LR AWD which gives 310 miles on a 70kWh battery. The 348 miles comes from equally fictitious wtlp test. They have to come up with a range from somewhere, much in same way that ICE manufacturers show a MPG value that bears no resemblance on real world journeys.

Many people just set it to % battery and don't get too bothered about reported range then just do mental ready recon depending on journey conditions.

If you want something more representative, set a destination and use the trip energy graph.

The 348 is the WLTP range which is a european standard and is the equivalent of the giving the ICE mpg at a constant 56mph. It is useful for comparing the relative range of different vehicles but that is about it.
As such Tesla use it on their web site cos we are in Europe and it looks good. Also everyone else uses it so you needed to compare like with like.
Given though that it is a complete waste of time for real world range the cars use the EPA (american) range which is much more realistic but TBH is still likely to be on the high side for most real world driving especially in the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: Maz0 and mswlogo
From my 3 month experience, I would say change it to % mode and forget about it. The miles is a best-case scenario and not really a useful number, especially in the winter. The only thing that is useful is the Trip / Range graphs when going on a long roadtrip. The trip graph is generally accurate at predicting how much you will have when you finish your trip, and that's really the only figure that's important. Looking at the rated miles go up and down will just make you worry!

My LR is only a month old. I just charged to 100% at home today for a longer trip and only got 306 miles. (I usually only charge to 80-90%.) It’s cold (High 20s F) so I was wondering if that changes the “estimated” range that’s projected.

The 348 is the WLTP range which is a european standard and is the equivalent of the giving the ICE mpg at a constant 56mph. It is useful for comparing the relative range of different vehicles but that is about it.
As such Tesla use it on their web site cos we are in Europe and it looks good. Also everyone else uses it so you needed to compare like with like.
Given though that it is a complete waste of time for real world range the cars use the EPA (american) range which is much more realistic but TBH is still likely to be on the high side for most real world driving especially in the winter.

Great post. EPA should also be thought of as like for like comparisons.

Historically on ICE cars I’ve come pretty close to EPA estimates. Sometimes a few % better sometimes a few % lower.

For both Model 3 and X that seems to be the case.

I generally drive pretty non aggressively and only go typically 5-10 mph over posted speed limits on highways. And rarely exceed 70 mph. But more typically 65 mph.

In summer I beat EPA. In winter I exceed EPA. EPA does not factor in HVAC. So technically I beat EPA consistently. But in practice year round I’m close to equal with HVAC. Which I’m pretty pleased about.

I do keep an eye on HVAC and try to use recirculate when I can.

My LR is only a month old. I just charged to 100% at home today for a longer trip and only got 306 miles. (I usually only charge to 80-90%.) It’s cold (High 20s F) so I was wondering if that changes the “estimated” range that’s projected.

It is not easy to get an accurate reading of how full the battery pack is, nor does the car know the future driving conditions (so it never bothers to take the latter into consideration). A few miles variation is to be expected and will vary over time.

I was at 90% charge in my M3P and did South Mimms > Newcastle via the A1M - had to supercharge at Grantham AND Scotch Corner. I thought I would have made it to scotch corner however as the first journey I was enjoying the car a little too much I think (was 2am so roads were empty).

The return trip via the M1 during the day and basically averaged 60mph, charged at Sheffield. I had rather optimistically suggested to the missus when ordering the car we would be able to do the entire trip on a full charge! We usually stop at some point on the trip if we have the kids or dogs in but often when alone I'd do the run without stopping and I just don't see that happening to be honest (249miles door to door). Anyone done such a trip without ending with a very clenched bottom or stopped at the side of the road? :) If so, how? I seem to average around 330 on the way back down according to the trip monitor - i do really wish they kept the history either in the app or the car!

My new HQ is exactly 100 miles each way from home and so this car seemed an ideal choice for me, doing this trip once or twice a week. Motorway all the way.

I’ve done it once so far, it was cold, wet as f’ing usual and I stopped for recce purposes and tried a couple of Ecotricity Chargers for interest and added a few %.

Anyway I JUST made it home with 3%. I was a little disappointed with this.

My supplier actually called me yesterday and has asked me and a couple of others with new cars to look into usage/drain after another customer has made a complaint about their range being on average 130 miles per charge.

It was a bad line and so I don’t know the ins and outs of the problem or really want to look for, but I was wondering if there’s an issue that perhaps I might not be aware of? Conditions, driving styles or not, these numbers are way, way off what I was led to expect... ?

210 - 220 in an M3P, motorway, cold and wet would be my expectation based on recent journeys. This is not booting it. I'm hoping for 250 ish in summer, maybe a little more. Range is someway short of official figures but I expected this having read a load of forum posts before I took delivery

I cannot imagine at present you would get 210-220 in a P on a motorway unless you are driving way slower than the speed limit, or you have no AC on Heater on, and run temperatue at like 19ºc I find that comfortable, as long as I have some clothes on and not just a shirt etc.

I would expect around 300 on a motorway and 220-300 on normal roads at normal speed limit.
turning AC off helps, and I have not needed it so far in this winter weather, cannot leave recirculating air on though it steams up real quick.

I am running 18" wheels though with winter tyres at least 30% Lighter than OEM 20" wheels and tyres.

I cannot imagine at present you would get 210-220 in a P on a motorway unless you are driving way slower than the speed limit, or you have no AC on Heater on, and run temperatue at like 19ºc I find that comfortable, as long as I have some clothes on and not just a shirt etc.

I would expect around 300 on a motorway and 220-300 on normal roads at normal speed limit.
turning AC off helps, and I have not needed it so far in this winter weather, cannot leave recirculating air on though it steams up real quick.

I am running 18" wheels though with winter tyres at least 30% Lighter than OEM 20" wheels and tyres.
I was talking miles....

Reactions: MaDProFF