Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions for a rear mounted bike rack? Appears a hitch is required- which hitch is advised? Mostly will be used for 1-2 hybrids. Which tray type bike rack is advised? I’ve been looking at a stealth hitch and Kuat Sherpa rack.
Thank you

I put the stealth hitch on and use a Rocky Mount bike rack. We ride a lot and always carry two e-bikes. I just usually leave the bike rack on most of the time (folded up)
20200328_111323.jpg

Just installed Stealth Ecohitch on mine with a Thule 4 bike rack. My lifetime wh/mi is 245 over the almost 2 years of ownership. Driving with 3 bikes, a loaded trunk and frunk, 2 adults, 2 kids and 90 degree weather at 70-72mph my wh/mi was about 340-350.

Which Thule 4 bike rack do you have?
I would like to get one for our 4 bikes but afraid 4 would be too much and sag on the rear?

It’s the basic one (Hitching Post Pro) here’s a pic if it helps.

Return trip from Wildwood today with more detail. Started with 240 miles of charge, and drove 166 miles home in 93-94 degree heat (a/c on low with fan at 6 the entire time) at 70mph. I had an extra 250lbs in people (wife and two kids), 205lbs in cargo (weighed it all when I got home), and 3 bikes on the back as shown in the picture in the prior post. We arrived home with 25 miles of range to spare and averaged 311 wh/mi, using 52kwh of energy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Aphinity and Andy7
In the same boat. Looked into getting a stealthitch via etrailer but shipping estimate didn't have it arriving until sometime in September (Ouch!). Hitch + Bike Rack was looking to be around $1000 total and then looking at youtube videos the install is pretty involved. Decided to give a trunk mount rack a try for $90 (Allen Sports Deluxe Trunk Mount 3-Bike Carrier, Model 103DN-R). It will be here a lot sooner as well (Amazon is saying it will be here on Friday).

Thinking if the Trunk Mount bike rack can hold me over until they get the QC issues with the Model Y ironed out and make them available with new battery chemistry and then I'll just trade in for that which I'll get with the factory tow hitch.

In the same boat. Looked into getting a stealthitch via etrailer but shipping estimate didn't have it arriving until sometime in September (Ouch!). Hitch + Bike Rack was looking to be around $1000 total and then looking at youtube videos the install is pretty involved. Decided to give a trunk mount rack a try for $90 (Allen Sports Deluxe Trunk Mount 3-Bike Carrier, Model 103DN-R). It will be here a lot sooner as well (Amazon is saying it will be here on Friday).

Thinking if the Trunk Mount bike rack can hold me over until they get the QC issues with the Model Y ironed out and make them available with new battery chemistry and then I'll just trade in for that which I'll get with the factory tow hitch.

The delay and the cost of the hitch system is an issue. I've used trunk mounts, including Allens, on a variety of cars since 1970 and have never had one that did not cause some paint damage-sorry. You also need good spots to hitch the hooks to and I don't know what the M3 has to offer.

Right now, I put my bike in the back seat. Obviously, with more bikes and more people that does not work. I have not decided to get a hitch yet. If we need to also carry my wife's bike, we take the Subaru Ascent with the hitch and rack.

Good luck.

The delay and the cost of the hitch system is an issue. I've used trunk mounts, including Allens, on a variety of cars since 1970 and have never had one that did not cause some paint damage-sorry. You also need good spots to hitch the hooks to and I don't know what the M3 has to offer.

Right now, I put my bike in the back seat. Obviously, with more bikes and more people that does not work. I have not decided to get a hitch yet. If we need to also carry my wife's bike, we take the Subaru Ascent with the hitch and rack.

Good luck.

I had found some articles and from the Amazon reviews there are a few people that have used that bike rack on Model 3s without issue. I also picked up some rubber pads to help prevent any possible paint damage.

I had found some articles and from the Amazon reviews there are a few people that have used that bike rack on Model 3s without issue. I also picked up some rubber pads to help prevent any possible paint damage.
I hope they work. If they do, or even if they don't, tell us what the brand is, if there is one.
Thanks.

Hm I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned SeaSucker before. Non-permanent, quality, and safe solution that doesn't break the bank.

Talon Rack - 1 Bike

I was turned off of the SeaSucker as I saw reports of the suction cups breaking the glass on Model 3s. SeaSucker even put out a notice not to use them on Model 3s (looking for that notice but don't see it on their website right now). Anyone know if they issued an update or now say it is safe for use with Model 3?

I was turned off of the SeaSucker as I saw reports of the suction cups breaking the glass on Model 3s. SeaSucker even put out a notice not to use them on Model 3s (looking for that notice but don't see it on their website right now). Anyone know if they issued an update or now say it is safe for use with Model 3?
Agree with this - I'm sure not everyone had a problem, but I'm highly sensitive to the windshield and glass roof on these cars. Even if the bike rack and bike doesn't break the roof, I'd be scared a rock that kicks up could easily crack it due to the added weight. The EcoHitch and other options aren't that hard to install. Basic hand tools, a torque wrench, and some jacks/ramps and you're good. If you have a newer model 3, you won't even know there's a hitch installed due to the lower rear bumper hitch door that now exists (unlike mine which I had to cut out with a dremel).

Which Thule 4 bike rack do you have?
I would like to get one for our 4 bikes but afraid 4 would be too much and sag on the rear?
For 4 bikes I highly recommend North Shore racks. I’ve had: 1up, kuat, and yakama. For >2 bikes north shore can’t be beat, the rack is at least 50 lbs lighter then the others, when off the car folds up small, easy load/unload. Can’t say enough good about it.
North Shore Racks | A Bike Rack by Mountain Bikers, For Mountain Bikers

To add to the hitch vs roof debate. I was a competitive cyclist years ago in high school/college/beyond. Started with road race and Criterium, when mountain biking grew in the early to mid 1990s switched to MTN, raced XC, and DH. Now both my kids race enduro. Needless to say I’ve hauled all types of bikes many miles. For the first ~20 years everything went on the roof, at one point I even had a 6 bike 70” wide bar roof set up. Then about 10 years ago I switched to hitch tray due to through axles on my DH bike and the PITA of using the non fork mount roof trays. What a difference, easier in every way. No risk of dropping a bike on my roof, bikes are more protected on the back, less wind noise, less effect on Wh/mi mpg, have I mentioned how easy the bikes are to load and unload? In today’s day and age no reason at all to carry bikes on the roof, especially in a EV.

Last edited:
I just bought myself a bike and have been considering all options for a rack, including none. Still leaning towards none.

The seasucker idea is really awesome, but $400USD for suction cups? Jeeze.

Hidden hitch and one of the cheaper hitch racks would be my choice if I do get a bike rack. I just don't know if I can justify it for the amount I will be riding.

So what is this “original glass integrity problem” that SeaSucker and/or Consumer Reports states is an issue? Any idea when (or if) the “problem” has been corrected? I have used my SeaSucker Talon multiple times without issue. Thanks in advance for any insights and/or firsthand experience. Be well.

Yeah; So I just got one of the Allen trunk mount racks and after test fitting it and getting my bike on there... well I just ordered a stealth hitch from etrailer . Don't like how the trunk mount relies on all the tension of the straps and even with "paint protectors" for the hooks they are also touching the car on the outside of the hooks so I know they are still going to mess of the paint. Ultimately I just could see me driving 200+ miles with a bike on the trunk mount rack. At least I tried I guess. Now I gotta wait for the hitch to get here... sigh.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7