TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Black Interior Only == Not Good For Warm Climates

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AZ-3, Jun 18, 2017.

?

If black (non A/C seats) are the only choice, would you pass / wait on ordering ??

1. No

54.3%
  2. Yes - for 30 to 90 days

7.9%
  3. Yes - for as long as it takes for my preferred color to be available

23.8%
  4. Undecided - have to wait to see the final interior / exterior color

14.0%
  1. AZ-3

AZ-3 Member

I have read that the first production options will include only black interiors. I am starting this post with the hopes of having someone @tesla see this as a huge mistake for any market that has triple digit temps.

Here in Arizona, it is absurd to have black interior seats until they are air conditioned seats (not vented seats - real air conditioned seats ).

My last black leather seats were in a Silver 2005 Viper - never again !! Here is a screen shot on our temps. In Arizona, a car with a glass roof and black interior == sweat all over your back, pants and shirt within 60 seconds. I am a 3/31 reservation holder and I would be very disappointed to wait months or years to choose a white interior.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I prefer tan or black seats, if only black is available initially I will opt for it. Hopefully tinting the windows will resolve the issue, it's a must in SoCal and I would assume the same applies for Arizona.

3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

And of course your custom made sunscreen...can't ever forget that :cool:

• Like x 1
  4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

...And where did you read this?

5. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Up to now I have only had black interiors in my cars. Never again, I hate it. The only reason I had black interiors up to now was that I always had the standard interior, and that was always only available in black. With the Model 3 (or any future car), I will always go for a lighter interior (tan or preferably white) even if it means I have to pay extra - or wait longer.

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  8. SM18

SM18 Member

You'll probably be able to turn on the a/c from the app like you can with the Model S/X. Seat color isn't really relevant if the cabin is cooled by the time you get to it anyway.

• Like x 5
  9. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

And the interior is where most of the options come from. No optional sports seats, leather-leatherette-clothe, upgraded stereo,multiple dash trim options etc.

And obviously non-official.

Tesla wants to simplify to increase output and decrease defects.

Offering black,grey,tan,and white interors would increase complexity and defects.

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with defects.

• Like x 2
  11. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

Even if someone at Tesla is watching these forums I'm sure it is too late for them to change any sort of production decision that will affect the next couple of months. I'm also sure that they are perfectly familiar with black interiors and sunshine and took that into account. Finally, Initial deliveries are going to be employees and prior owners close to the factory so you probably don't have to worry about it in AZ for a few months, by which time other options may be available.

12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Black seats get hot in just about any climate. It's not just a desert thing.

13. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

With the ability to pre-condition the cabin, the issue of black seats in warmer climates is mitigated. That said, I don't like black because I prefer a lighter feeling in the cabin so will wait.

• Helpful x 1
  14. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

It absolutely does.

That is why Tesla reduces the number of options.

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Whether installed by a machine or human, the color alone will not magically cause there to be a defect. The only thing additional colors add is complexity in the supply line and the logistics of getting the desired part to where it's needed and when it's needed on the factory floor. At most this causes a bottleneck in production but not defects.

You may be thinking of mechanical complexity... like was the case with falcon wing doors.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  16. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Switching between panel A ,panel B ,and panel C.

Carpet A, Carpet B, and Carpet C increases complexity and chances of improper installation.

And slows things down.

That is why Tesla is limiting options.

It doesn't limit customer choices just to piss people off in Arizona, those that want vegan interiors, grey leather seats etc.

• Like x 1
  17. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It's not likely going to apply to you anyway, as the early cars are going to Tesla and SpaceX employees and then to reservation holders in California. By the time you get to order there will likely be other color options, or you could delay for a short time until there are. Chill. ( pun intended).

• Like x 3
  18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#18 JeffK, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    They are limiting customer choice to increase batch sizes during manufacturing. Again, nothing to do with defects.
    Switching between Panel A, B, C will not introduce defects if they are all physically the same panel but differ in color. This is 100% due to increasing the batch size to deliver manufacturing goals.

Adding a paint color, for example, adds manufacturing complexity in switching the paint... this does not introduce defects into the vehicle by virtue of the color alone.

The Model X leather interior was by Bader. Whether someone at Tesla installing something picks up a black object or a tan object is irrelevant to the installation process itself and therefore does not introduce defects on its own.

• Like x 2
  19. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

My Toyota has dark upholstery (only choice) but it does not get too hot because I either park in the shade or park facing the sun and put up a sunblock on the windshield.

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Although the tinting is on top, I wonder if the IR rejection properties are on all the glass in the vehicle. This may help.