TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Black Interior Only == Not Good For Warm Climates

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AZ-3, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
?

If black (non A/C seats) are the only choice, would you pass / wait on ordering ??

1. No

54.3%
  2. Yes - for 30 to 90 days

7.9%
  3. Yes - for as long as it takes for my preferred color to be available

23.8%
  4. Undecided - have to wait to see the final interior / exterior color

14.0%
  1. 3PHASE

3PHASE 3PHASE

I have a black interior on one of my cars and while I was initially concerned, I park in a garage during the day plus I can start the car with an app on my phone. So it just depends on the situation.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It's just initial production simplification. In a few months other colors will be available. The sky is not falling. We've all been waiting over a year. If you don't want black you can wait a little longer. Patience...

3. AZ-3

AZ-3 Member

4. Chris L

Chris L Member

I live in San Diego county (inland). Sun is very intense and summers very hot. So black interior is out. Want a light and airy interior. But waiting for the dual-motor option, so hopefully there will be a tan/beige interior option by then (or a light gray). White interior is also out; I'm not channeling Elvis (plus two dogs always in the car with me).

5. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Seattlite chiming in. This isn't a common concern around here.

• Like x 1
  6. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Then honestly, don't buy one of the initial cars. Seems simple enough. Even if that rumor is true (which makes sense if they are trying to make a stockpile in July), most of them will probably be going to Tesla/SpaceX employees anyway, not to mention options will be added at a later date as production ramps up. I don't see the issue here.

• Like x 4
  7. 206er

206er Member

gotta concur with this - black interiors aren't a problem in Seattle, even in July and August, which is our hottest stretch of weather every year. In fact, our current car has black leather interior, and we haul a toddler around town and much of the PNW with no problem.

8. arjay

arjay member

I hope "Black interior only" includes black headliner as well. I really prefer an ALL black interior for its non-interfering visual noise which I feel distracts from the road and screen view. I also put in my vote for a black carbon (non-shiny) surface instead of the wood.

• Like x 1
  9. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

That would be my hope as well, but I have a feeling we won't be so lucky. That said, I had the opportunity to sit in a Model S recently with what looked like a similar wood trim. To me, it looked a heck of a lot better in person. I abhor the high gloss wood interiors that I usually associate with ostentatious luxury cars, but this one looked very elegant and tasteful.

10. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

alcantara seats only for me!

• Like x 1
  11. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

I agree that a black leather seats are uncomfortable in the summer sun. I haven't noticed a problem with the black interior in my Leaf, but it is textile, not leather. That's even with local temps hitting 100 to 110 F in the summer. Rolling the windows down for 15 seconds when you get in the car allows the A/C can get the temp to a comfortable level in a couple minutes. The black textile seats can't transfer much heat into your body (or out of in the winter), so they aren't uncomfortable. I'm targeting the base black textile interior for my 3 if it's an option like it is on the S and X models.

The one thing I would really like is a vented/cooled steering wheel. The steering wheel usually takes several additional minutes to cool down to a comfortable level. I'm spoiled with the heated steering wheel in the Leaf, so the cold climate package will be added. It would be nice to have cooling on the steering wheel as well, but I can live without it.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, finding a tree for shade and/or using a sunshade on the windshield helps out substantially.

It's really a personal preference, so, to each their own.

12. garsh

garsh Re Member

Correct. This was a "heads-up" from a Tesla employee who wishes to remain anonymous.
    The other part of that "leak" is that these would remain the only options for ~3 months. If that's true, I think that's going to cover more than just employees.

13. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

I think everyone is forgetting that you will be able to set a max temperature for your car (pet mode) so that even a black interior may not exceed whatever temp you choose (95 for me)

14. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

I'll test sit (and drive, if possible) any color Model 3. But I will wait for a tan interior for mine.
    Robin

• Like x 1
  15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Very sensible post, thank you.
    I doubt it. There is going to be a production ramp period from a very low number of cars per week in July to (targeted) 5,000/week by the end of December. So the first three months (Jul/Aug/Sep) are going to average maybe a few hundred cars per week.

No one outside of Tesla knows how many Tesla and SpaceX employees have Model 3 reservations and will exercise them in 2017. But it could very well be thousands: when I talk to Tesla showroom and service center employees they tell me that about half of the colleagues have a reservation. I doubt Tesla will be able to produce more than 3,000 Model 3s by the end of September.

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Really? 3000 by the end of September means about 231 cars per week for 13 weeks. You think Tesla's Model 3 line will be 9 times slower than Model S/X lines. Why it that?

17. smak

smak Member

I don't really like the Model S tan. It's too close to yellow. And the white after looking at it for awhile it's almost too white. Something more of a cream color would be better imo.

• Like x 1
  18. ummgood

ummgood Member

I can't talk for others but I was scared to death about having a black leather interior. Then my wife and I ended up needing a van and we were searching for a good used deal and the one van that we could find that had everything we wanted and wasn't trashed was silver with black leather interior. It already had the side windows tinted the max legal allowance. After owning that van I will always get a black interior. I have kids and it hides all the stains so well. If the leather gets scratched a black sharpie fixes it. We had no issues with heat with the tinted windows and the silver paint. I was shocked but it worked for us. I was very disappointed when that van got totaled and the new Odysseys no longer have black as an interior option. So here is a Texas guy who is looking forward to my Tesla having a black leather interior.

I think a lot of people are concerned because the potential to lose the tax rebate if they wait for a different color.

19. EricUSC

EricUSC Member

I wonder if the initial black interior will be leather, vegan leather (currently only available in ultra white on the S and X) or textile.

20. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Good for the Canadian winter's. Will take it, can't bear to wait. Long periods of waiting are the worst.