Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Black Interior Only == Not Good For Warm Climates

If black (non A/C seats) are the only choice, would you pass / wait on ordering ??

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
** EDIT 6-19 **

I wish I could edit the question. It was intended for people who really didn't want black interiors. Obviously, if you already want a black interior you would order a black interior right away and this question does not apply. The intent of the question was for people who didn't want a black interior. Lets say you wanted a white or tan interior based on the M3 reveal in 2016, would you just order black anyway (as soon as you receive your configuration notice) to either keep your place in line or ensure you get the full $7500 incentive. JB

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
I wonder if the initial black interior will be leather, vegan leather (currently only available in ultra white on the S and X) or textile.

That's my main question as well. My Toyota Matrix has a black fabric interior and we don't really have an issue with it. But I don't know if I could live with black leather. That might be one of the very few things that would force me to wait on the purchase until another option is available.

Really? 3000 by the end of September means about 231 cars per week for 13 weeks. You think Tesla's Model 3 line will be 9 times slower than Model S/X lines. Why it that?
Production ramp-up
This makes over 5000 cars (avg 400/wk)
Picture1.png

Production ramp-up
View attachment 231980

Respectfully, the chart & curve you've used is conjecture like we're all doing. With a from-scratch, automated production line that was already simulated & validated, we could as easily project a curve having a large step up from initial, partial manual assembly and the style of curve you illustrated being flipped so that it asymptotically approaches max desired weekly rate.

If you hadn't read elsewhere, this sort of two-phase process -- step up to massive production -- is what has been reported, re: Model 3 battery production at the Gigafactory. Short initial, partial hand assembly and step up to orders of magnitude faster automated production ramping up to full desired production rate. Design & simulation of the manufactured product being accompanied by design & simulation of the production line (and facilities).

Production ramp-up
View attachment 231980
Not sure who made that curve but it doesn't follow Tesla's supply orders at all. In July they are ordering parts for 1000 cars per week. Even with a week delay that'd be 3000 cars by the end of July.

Usually when people make curves they try to use data... This chart will explain everything:
XeiFZO.jpg

Last edited:
Whooa.....the initial statement in this thread hasn't been proven to be official. The Model 3 owners club has been wrong about a lot lately. I'm not sure what's going on over there. hmmmmmm
Same thing that is going on over here...

Speculation, conjecture, wishing, wanting, trolling, creating issues that don't exist, assuming things that are in no way based on confirmed facts or data, trying to rile up the general public, etc. Relax folks, in with the good air and out with the bad. Enroll in a yoga or meditation class. Get that heart rate back down. We'll find out all this stuff very soon. ;)

Dan

Reactions: garsh
I think everyone is forgetting that you will be able to set a max temperature for your car (pet mode) so that even a black interior may not exceed whatever temp you choose (95 for me)

As a desert dweller who ended up with a black leather interior (good deal on my CPO), I can say that the current implementation of overheat protection DOES help in the hot sun. I can't always connect to my car to precool it due to spotty cell coverage, but with a quality front window shade and overheat protection, my car hasn't been any hotter than my prior tan interior vehicle. Sure, 105 is still pretty hot, but it's closer to the ambient 100 degrees outside vs 120 or 140 or whatever crazy oven temperature the car would get to without it.

You'll probably be able to turn on the a/c from the app like you can with the Model S/X. Seat color isn't really relevant if the cabin is cooled by the time you get to it anyway.
My MS with black interior was parked outside all day yesterday in 100+ heat and there was no issue with hot seats. Install Spectra Photosync tint, get a good sunshade for the windshield, and turn the A/C on a few minutes before you get to the car.

My MS with black interior was parked outside all day yesterday in 100+ heat and there was no issue with hot seats. Install Spectra Photosync tint, get a good sunshade for the windshield, and turn the A/C on a few minutes before you get to the car.

And park facing the sun.
I am able to leave my windows cracked open so I haven't bothered to pre-cool our Prius Prime. Yesterday I left home at 6:30 pm and used ~ 0.5 kWh to cool down the car to 75F. Ambient was in the mid 90s F

Can you be specific on what Model 3 Owners Club has gotten wrong?
One of the more important quotes was that the Model S and Model X owners were not going to get free supercharging and a few hours later Elon opened up free supercharging.

Secondly...where is the quote from Tesla and/or Elon about black being the only interior color?

I love listening to their youtube channel though.

Secondly...where is the quote from Tesla and/or Elon about black being the only interior color?
It's likely third hand knowledge from Trevor Page from a Tesla employee who may or may not have knowledge of actual production plans but may have heard it from another Tesla employee. It's similar to the large battery rumor. At this point it's still just a rumor with no official word.

Of course the same source said the performance model was in the 2 second range... so there's that.