Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Black Interior Only == Not Good For Warm Climates

If black (non A/C seats) are the only choice, would you pass / wait on ordering ??

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read that the first production options will include only black interiors. I am starting this post with the hopes of having someone @tesla see this as a huge mistake for any market that has triple digit temps.

Here in Arizona, it is absurd to have black interior seats until they are air conditioned seats (not vented seats - real air conditioned seats ).

My last black leather seats were in a Silver 2005 Viper - never again !! Here is a screen shot on our temps. In Arizona, a car with a glass roof and black interior == sweat all over your back, pants and shirt within 60 seconds. I am a 3/31 reservation holder and I would be very disappointed to wait months or years to choose a white interior.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170618-230319.png
    Screenshot_20170618-230319.png
    368.3 KB · Views: 143
I prefer tan or black seats, if only black is available initially I will opt for it. Hopefully tinting the windows will resolve the issue, it's a must in SoCal and I would assume the same applies for Arizona.

Up to now I have only had black interiors in my cars. Never again, I hate it. The only reason I had black interiors up to now was that I always had the standard interior, and that was always only available in black. With the Model 3 (or any future car), I will always go for a lighter interior (tan or preferably white) even if it means I have to pay extra - or wait longer.

So non-official sources...

I doubt it's going to be customer facing. "initial phase" may simply be the employee runs. Otherwise it makes no sense because likely much of the interior comes from a third party supplier.

And the interior is where most of the options come from. No optional sports seats, leather-leatherette-clothe, upgraded stereo,multiple dash trim options etc.

And obviously non-official.

Tesla wants to simplify to increase output and decrease defects.

Offering black,grey,tan,and white interors would increase complexity and defects.

And the interior is where most of the options come from. No optional sports seats, leather-leatherette-clothe, upgraded stereo,multiple dash trim options etc.

And obviously non-official.

Tesla wants to simplify to increase output and decrease defects.

Offering black,grey,tan,and white interors would increase complexity and defects.
This has nothing to do with defects.

Reactions: Big-T and Chris L
I have read that the first production options will include only black interiors. I am starting this post with the hopes of having someone @tesla see this as a huge mistake for any market that has triple digit temps.
Even if someone at Tesla is watching these forums I'm sure it is too late for them to change any sort of production decision that will affect the next couple of months. I'm also sure that they are perfectly familiar with black interiors and sunshine and took that into account. Finally, Initial deliveries are going to be employees and prior owners close to the factory so you probably don't have to worry about it in AZ for a few months, by which time other options may be available.

It absolutely does.
That is why Tesla reduces the number of options.
Whether installed by a machine or human, the color alone will not magically cause there to be a defect. The only thing additional colors add is complexity in the supply line and the logistics of getting the desired part to where it's needed and when it's needed on the factory floor. At most this causes a bottleneck in production but not defects.

You may be thinking of mechanical complexity... like was the case with falcon wing doors.

Whether installed by a machine or human, the color alone will not magically cause there to be a defect. The only thing additional colors add is complexity in the supply line and the logistics of getting the desired part to where it's needed and when it's needed on the factory floor.

You may be thinking of mechanical complexity... like was the case with falcon wing doors.

Switching between panel A ,panel B ,and panel C.

Carpet A, Carpet B, and Carpet C increases complexity and chances of improper installation.

And slows things down.

That is why Tesla is limiting options.

It doesn't limit customer choices just to piss people off in Arizona, those that want vegan interiors, grey leather seats etc.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Switching between panel A ,panel B ,and panel C.
Carpet A, Carpet B, and Carpet C increases complexity and chances of improper installation.
And slows things down.
That is why Tesla is limiting options.
It doesn't limit customer choices just to piss people off in Arizona, those that want vegan interiors, grey leather seats etc.
They are limiting customer choice to increase batch sizes during manufacturing. Again, nothing to do with defects.
Switching between Panel A, B, C will not introduce defects if they are all physically the same panel but differ in color. This is 100% due to increasing the batch size to deliver manufacturing goals.

Adding a paint color, for example, adds manufacturing complexity in switching the paint... this does not introduce defects into the vehicle by virtue of the color alone.

The Model X leather interior was by Bader. Whether someone at Tesla installing something picks up a black object or a tan object is irrelevant to the installation process itself and therefore does not introduce defects on its own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Topher and cizUK