Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Black Screen when Unlocked caused by T5 SSD?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my friend just got their Model 3 SR+ and everything was working fine. He was using a standard HD for the dashcam however he later purchased a Samsung T5 SSD 1TB. Everything was ok until a couple of weeks ago when the car is unlocked, he would sit there with a blank screen. Can't drive off since he needed to put his PIN to Drive but the screen will stay black. Tried to do the reset with the 2 buttons, holding brakes, system reboot later when he did get home through the "System" menu in the car.

Well today the the mobile ranger came by and said that the issue was the Samsung T5 and it was taking too much power. I never heard of that since I personally used a Samsung SSD (internal version) on my LR but never had an issue. I told my friend that it might be a bad batch of T5, however did anyone else have this issue? Blank Black screen when entering the car and just have to sit there until it works again (sometimes 2 mins - 20 mins).

He's getting another T5 but just wanted to see what you all think.

I've been using a T5 for 4 months. A few times I've gotten into the car and the screen is off but it quickly turns on. I thought this was normal and doesn't sound like the extreme situation your friend was facing. Interested to see if issue goes away simply by changing to different T5 or more traditional flash drive.

T5 Power Consumption at peak is 3 watts Samsung Portable SSD T5 Review: 64-Layer V-NAND Debuts in Retail

Last edited:
I've been using a T5 for 4 months. A few times I've gotten into the car and the screen is off but it quickly turns on. I thought this was normal and doesn't sound like the extreme situation your friend was facing. Interested to see if issue goes away simply by changing to different T5 or more traditional flash drive.
Prior to 2020.12.5, my screen would turn on as soon as I open the door. Now, if the car was asleep, it would take about 5 seconds after opening the door before the display would illuminate. So, I think this is the new "normal". I also agree this doesn't seem like the same issue experienced by the OP's friend.

@lasdj , maybe you can ask your friend to pull the SSD from his car and see if this black screen issue still occurs. This will at least prove or disprove the mobile tech's contention that the storage device is what's causing the screen issue.

Prior to 2020.12.5, my screen would turn on as soon as I open the door. Now, if the car was asleep, it would take about 5 seconds after opening the door before the display would illuminate. So, I think this is the new "normal". I also agree this doesn't seem like the same issue experienced by the OP's friend.

@lasdj , maybe you can ask your friend to pull the SSD from his car and see if this black screen issue still occurs. This will at least prove or disprove the mobile tech's contention that the storage device is what's causing the screen issue.
Yeah my LR takes about 5 sec or so to turn on as well. But yeah I can ask my friend to see if thats the case, pull out the T5 whent he screen is blank and see if it re-appears quickly.

So my friend just got their Model 3 SR+ and everything was working fine. He was using a standard HD for the dashcam however he later purchased a Samsung T5 SSD 1TB. Everything was ok until a couple of weeks ago when the car is unlocked, he would sit there with a blank screen. Can't drive off since he needed to put his PIN to Drive but the screen will stay black. Tried to do the reset with the 2 buttons, holding brakes, system reboot later when he did get home through the "System" menu in the car.

Well today the the mobile ranger came by and said that the issue was the Samsung T5 and it was taking too much power. I never heard of that since I personally used a Samsung SSD (internal version) on my LR but never had an issue. I told my friend that it might be a bad batch of T5, however did anyone else have this issue? Blank Black screen when entering the car and just have to sit there until it works again (sometimes 2 mins - 20 mins).

He's getting another T5 but just wanted to see what you all think.
Same problem the other night, black screen and I could shift into drive or reverse. Finally after 30 seconds the T Logo on the screen came up and it booted up. I’m using a 500gb San Disk SSD. Never had a problem until 2020.12.1 (SR+)

Also missing a lot of recording on Sentry Mode and Dashcam since 2020.12.1, The indicator says I have 3 Sentry Mode events, when viewed on the screen, they are not there.

Fred

Same problem the other night, black screen and I could shift into drive or reverse. Finally after 30 seconds the T Logo on the screen came up and it booted up. I’m using a 500gb San Disk SSD. Never had a problem until 2020.12.1 (SR+)

Also missing a lot of recording on Sentry Mode and Dashcam since 2020.12.1, The indicator says I have 3 Sentry Mode events, when viewed on the screen, they are not there.

Fred

How were u able to shift into gear? Yiu don't have pin to drive enabled.

I’ve had the black screen at unlock a few times since maybe 8.2. Haven’t driven the car much but it’s happened a couple times for about 5 secs after getting in. Then it comes on as normal. No reboots though. I’ve also got a 512gb T5 and for first time ever last night I noticed the dashcam icon was gone and the setting screen said to plug in a USB. Drive was plugged in as always and had the LED on it lit. All looked normal. I unplugged it and replugged it and dashcam icon reappeared. I wonder if there’s some relationship with these two things or maybe my T5 is going bad.

2020 M3 Dual Motor Long Range
SATA SSD in a USB-SATA Enclosure
PIN to Drive enabled

Yesterday I drove for an hour - no issues. I stopped for 15 minutes, and drove for another hour no issues. Stopped for 15 minutes.
I came back to the car - black screen, could not shift into drive. I waited for a bit, reset the computer and continued normally.

It was alarming not being able to start immediately.

July 2019 P3D w/T5 1TB SSD for 4 months...
Up until the 2020.8 through 2020.12 updates, I was experiencing an issue where every other time I'd get into my car on short errands - meaning the car remained awake with Sentry active - the system would reboot almost instantly when I opened my door. The reboot was quick - showed the Tesla logo in the center with the loading bar...reboot was done in 10-20 seconds by my estimation.

I didn't bother to trace/replicate the issue with adding/removing plugged in devices though. I have not seen this behavior in the few trips I took while on 2020.12.5 update.

I recommend at least formatting the SSD and starting over. Historically, issues on drives such as corrupted directories etc. will cause the system to bug out.

My 2020 Model 3 LR (delivered Dec 2019) has periodic black screen when getting in the car. I have never had, nor do I now have, any storage in the car for cameras. I'm going to ask for a warranty fix.

Periodic black screen... How often? What duration?

For something like this I would recommend addressing it at the same time as any other issues. Bundling concerns should be helpful with streamlining Tesla Service. If there are no other issues, I would call the 877 number first and then if they weren't able to resolve it remotely I'd make a service request.