Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Bliss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker on the forum (like back in the Eberhard days)…I’m about a week into driving the Model 3. I have really enjoyed other forum member’s reviews (and they kept me going through the wait)….I thought I’d give back with my own first impression.

Day 1 reservation holder
Config Email 4/10
VIN received 4/12- 15,8XX
Delivered 5/3/18 (NY then home to CT)
White, EAP, Sport

Here’s the bottom line…I was excited about so many aspects of the car (in no particular order). 1. To drive electric (environmental impact) 2. Autopilot in its current state to ease the burden of my 80+ mile round trip commute. 3. Technology and ultimately self-driving 4. Coolness factor. All of these things have either met or exceeded my high expectations.

But then I realized on day 2 of ownership that I forgot to get excited about one other thing that I hadn’t even been thinking about, given all the other attributes of the car…the Model 3 is an honest to goodness, real deal, kick-ass sports sedan. The acceleration is awesome (not P90DL awesome - which I have driven), but still plenty of power to be really fun. I am also convinced they have software de-tuned 0-30…because the punch from 30-60 is even better, which makes me excited about software unlocks in the future. Handling is fantastic, right on par with competitors in the class (I have driven many of those too) – it’s a blast to throw into the corners. The initial quality and overall feel of the vehicle has been great…no squeaks, panel gaps, software issues, etc. It’s just really, really, fun to drive and everything else seems to not compare. After reading some of the negative stuff, I just wanted to say I have had no issues whatever. Also love the steering wheel…not the look necessarily, but the size/feel/thickness…very M3/sports car like.

The last course of business was to protect her. For any CT folks, after searching around I decided to go to Automobilia in West Haven. These guys are awesome and did a fantastic job (PPF on the front, 9H, light tint and center console wrap). They have done a bunch in Model 3’s in CT (which was suprising to me, I thought I was one of the first). I just got her back after a long 2 days…looks awesome now perfectly detailed with the coatings.

Attachments

• 67A40FB4-90B8-438F-8D80-54DB1FEFF10B.jpeg
    67A40FB4-90B8-438F-8D80-54DB1FEFF10B.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 5427FE10-5E60-4EAD-B549-A79C58ABEA7B.jpeg
    5427FE10-5E60-4EAD-B549-A79C58ABEA7B.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 760494A9-FC97-4608-99A6-7024FED00252.jpeg
    760494A9-FC97-4608-99A6-7024FED00252.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 102
  • E9182808-75DF-42EC-9A71-63A54054768C.jpeg
    E9182808-75DF-42EC-9A71-63A54054768C.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 113
i also feel like the 0-30mph acceleration is nerfed. cornering, the car feels like a feather on rails.

I think the choice of low rolling resistance economy, non sport tires causes the traction control to restrict wheel spin. This limits the initial acceleration more so than the model s/x due primarily to weight. The model 3 weighs less so its traction would be less causing to to limit power more aggressively. I do think Tesla has left some power on the table with this new motor and possibly not to trample on the model 2 75d 0-60 acceleration as well. Still 0-60 in reported 4.6 sec (about 0.5 sec less than advertised) is very admirable. I think 0-60 in 4.3 is possible under the most ideal conditions and summer tires like pilot sport 4s! Exciting times!

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I think the choice of low rolling resistance economy, non sport tires causes the traction control to restrict wheel spin. This limits the initial acceleration more so than the model s/x due primarily to weight. The model 3 weighs less so its traction would be less causing to to limit power more aggressively. I do think Tesla has left some power on the table with this new motor and possibly not to trample on the model 2 75d 0-60 acceleration as well. Still 0-60 in reported 4.6 sec (about 0.5 sec less than advertised) is very admirable. I think 0-60 in 4.3 is possible under the most ideal conditions and summer tires like pilot sport 4s! Exciting times!

Yeah definitely could be traction control limiting. I also think they tuned the torque curve over the speed range to enhance motor/gearbox reliability. Either way, certainly seems like there’s more there in the 0-30 range (or possibly over the whole range)

Just an awesome car all around. They got so many things right. Even the stereo/audio (like many reviews have said) is a fantastic sounding system, really good power and clarity.

Reactions: sajakh
Long time lurker on the forum (like back in the Eberhard days)…I’m about a week into driving the Model 3. I have really enjoyed other forum member’s reviews (and they kept me going through the wait)….I thought I’d give back with my own first impression.

Day 1 reservation holder
Config Email 4/10
VIN received 4/12- 15,8XX
Delivered 5/3/18 (NY then home to CT)
White, EAP, Sport

Here’s the bottom line…I was excited about so many aspects of the car (in no particular order). 1. To drive electric (environmental impact) 2. Autopilot in its current state to ease the burden of my 80+ mile round trip commute. 3. Technology and ultimately self-driving 4. Coolness factor. All of these things have either met or exceeded my high expectations.

But then I realized on day 2 of ownership that I forgot to get excited about one other thing that I hadn’t even been thinking about, given all the other attributes of the car…the Model 3 is an honest to goodness, real deal, kick-ass sports sedan. The acceleration is awesome (not P90DL awesome - which I have driven), but still plenty of power to be really fun. I am also convinced they have software de-tuned 0-30…because the punch from 30-60 is even better, which makes me excited about software unlocks in the future. Handling is fantastic, right on par with competitors in the class (I have driven many of those too) – it’s a blast to throw into the corners. The initial quality and overall feel of the vehicle has been great…no squeaks, panel gaps, software issues, etc. It’s just really, really, fun to drive and everything else seems to not compare. After reading some of the negative stuff, I just wanted to say I have had no issues whatever. Also love the steering wheel…not the look necessarily, but the size/feel/thickness…very M3/sports car like.

The last course of business was to protect her. For any CT folks, after searching around I decided to go to Automobilia in West Haven. These guys are awesome and did a fantastic job (PPF on the front, 9H, light tint and center console wrap). They have done a bunch in Model 3’s in CT (which was suprising to me, I thought I was one of the first). I just got her back after a long 2 days…looks awesome now perfectly detailed with the coatings.

Love the white! Can't wait to get mine!

She came out wonderfully. That’s a beautiful car. The garage looks fantastic!

Only question: is that a land line on the wall?

1. To drive electric (environmental impact) 2. Autopilot in its current state to ease the burden of my 80+ mile round trip commute
Great to hear a good purchasing story. I hope there will be many, many more.
But, respectfully, don't you think that your #1 and #2 items are in some serious conflict? Not sure what- if anything- you could do about it, but an 80-mile commute would leave me feeling pretty uneasy on the environment front.
Good thing it's an EV.
Robin