Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Body High Frequency Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to suggest trying it in N, so glad you did. Do you think the frequency of the vibration changes at different speeds?

The frequency and amplitude feel similar, but with higher speed, it's more constant. Naturally with higher speed and depending on the road, you get more "natural" vibration from this type of road/suspension/wheels of the M3P, but this tingling/buzz vibration is different.

The thing that made the biggest diference, until now, was lowering the tire pressure.

Hi Everyone,
This is another great discussion I have found here at TMC. I live in Southwest Florida (Naples) and have a 2021 M3P with now only 324 miles on it. Mine is factory equipped with eh 20" Uberturbines and the foam lined P Zeros. Since mile 1 I have noticed a weird tingly vibration in the steering wheel that starts at about 48-50 MPH and seems to be there up to maybe 60 MPH or so. Its not a shaking wheel like a missing weight or bent rim would probably produce, its just a very uncomfortable tingly vibration.....

I live across the street from a 1 year old Ferrari dealership that has all brand new state of the art Hunter Road Force Elite equipment, its all really quite amazing. They road forced all 4 tires and my two fronts came in at 49 pounds and 38 pounds. This was totally unbalanceable and the tires deemed defective by the Ferrari dealer and Tire Rack, so Tire Rack shipped two new P Zeros that were just mounted yesterday 9/3/21.

All 4 tires now road force at 10-11 pounds and are balanced precisely!!! PSI cold is 42, lugs torqued to 129 lb/ft, alignment is beautiful. Bad news is.....the tingly vibration in the steering wheel is still present.

The Ferrari dealer now suggests that Tesla gets involved, but we all know how crappy Tesla service is. I'd rather sell the car or rely on all the input from the folks here at TMC to find resolution to this vibration.

Thanks all

Have you considered just moving to different wheels and tires? I would imagine a set of 18" Wheels with larger sidewalls and all-seasons like the PSAS4 would help alleviate your concern.
Hi MasterC17,

Thanks for responding. In the above video I posted, they are explaining how my M3P Uberturbine rims which are 9" wide is causing the 235 OEM P Zero's to be "stretched" to fit the 9" wide rims, this stretching can cause handling and noise/vibration issues.

Ultimately, I'd like to keep the 20 x 9 Uberturbines and not have to invest in a very expensive set of forged wheels. We have no potholes to speak of in southwest Florida so I'm not terribly concerned about that.

Should I consider changing the tires to the wider 245 or 255 Michelin PS4S so the tires are not stretched on the 9" Uberturbines? And should I ditch the foam lined tires altogether?

Thanks

Heres a screen shot from the video

Attachments

• Tesla tire:rim chart.png
    Tesla tire:rim chart.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
Hi MasterC17,

Thanks for responding. In the above video I posted, they are explaining how my M3P Uberturbine rims which are 9" wide is causing the 235 OEM P Zero's to be "stretched" to fit the 9" wide rims, this stretching can cause handling and noise/vibration issues.

Ultimately, I'd like to keep the 20 x 9 Uberturbines and not have to invest in a very expensive set of forged wheels. We have no potholes to speak of in southwest Florida so I'm not terribly concerned about that.

Should I consider changing the tires to the wider 245 or 255 Michelin PS4S so the tires are not stretched on the 9" Uberturbines? And should I ditch the foam lined tires altogether?

Thanks
Hmm, I got to be honest, I strongly doubt that a "stretched" tire is causing your concern.

You certainly do not need a set of forged wheels. There are plenty of great flow formed 18" and 19" wheel options in the ~$1,000-$1,500 range.

At the end of the day, I would be very surprised if fitting a 245 or 255 tire would change anything. The problem is the thin sidewall, not the width of the tire.

If you really love the look of the Uberturbine's, this is a good option: TSV 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4)

Hmm, I got to be honest, I strongly doubt that a "stretched" tire is causing your concern.

You certainly do not need a set of forged wheels. There are plenty of great flow formed 18" and 19" wheel options in the ~$1,000-$1,500 range.

At the end of the day, I would be very surprised if fitting a 245 or 255 tire would change anything. The problem is the thin sidewall, not the width of the tire.

If you really love the look of the Uberturbine's, this is a good option: TSV 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4)
Can't thank you enough for your input. So do you think going to a 19" wheel/tire in a 235 would maybe stop this vibration in the steering wheel? Again, I wanted to reiterate that what I'm feeling in the steering wheel is not a shaking like flat spotting or improperly balanced wheels. Its a tingling vibration maybe kinda similar to an electric razor in your hand. It seems to begin in the 50 mph area up through maybe 62... What I have noticed past few days is that if I am accelerating quickly through the 50-60 range there is no vibration, but if I'm slowly going from 50-60 or just holding steady in that range there is vibration.

I now have an appointment with Tesla to look into this, I hope they can pop on a set of 19's for a test drive to see if that eliminates the issue, if so I'll buy them on the spot!!

By the way......I'm not married to the Uberturbines, I just hated to have to change out wheels, I do like these better.........https://tsportline.com/collections/19-inch-tesla-model-3-aftermarket-wheel-tire-packages/products/ts5-tesla-model-3-19-inch-wheel-and-tire-package-set-of-4

I wonder if it's the grounding strap issue, but just a different manifestation of it. For some of us, the ground strap has been creating a whine at speeds in the 30mph to 50mph range. A high-pitched whine might also cause a high-frequency vibration.

Do you know if this whine is around 20kHz, from the linked document it seems like more of a physical vibration at lower frequencies.

My 2018 suffers from a "mosquito sound" that most people can't hear and I have not heard in other Teslas.

You can see it in the graph below ... It's almost as loud as the road noise ... Very distinct. For those that can hear it it's like a mosquito with a megaphone.

In order to reduce it I have placed layers of sound absorbing and reflecting materials under the rear passenger seat where it is coming from.

Attachments

• noseat.png
    noseat.png
    245 KB · Views: 50