Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Body Line Still in Development in Detroit - Reports (incl. WSJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on the Fremont factory tour you are shown stamping presses (in the same area as the enormous press that has been used for S panels since 2012) that the tour guide says are used for stamping Model 3 panels.

The story of Tesla operating a Model 3 body line in Detroit is suspect.
Yeah, I remember this myself, when they were producing just the Model S. They made quite a big deal about 1. they were amazing stamping machines that they got cheap from a shuttered car mfg (can't remember who) and that they were designed to stamp steel, so stamping aluminum was a breeze. We actually got to see some of the stamping.. very cool.

Much of the early production 'tuning' was spent getting the stamps just right. Somehow I doubt they would do that in another state, then get it figured out (without even local car assembly) then ship all the machinery to Fremont.

Separate question, are the body panels of the Model 3 aluminum?

When the President tweets almost daily about fake news outlets NBC and CNN, millions nod their heads in agreement. But since he is addicted to tv news, we hear little from him about the fake news outlets that clog every Google search. Imagine what will happen if the President stops watching tv and instead uses Seeking Alpha for his daily news briefing. I realize the OP of this thread is just reporting what he/she thinks is newsworthy and perhaps it is, but I’m always leery of mysterious “news outlets.” This particular “news” story fails my smell test, but is sure to cause paranoia in its intended audience.

I do believe that some of the panels and structures of the chassis are stamped outside of Fremont. The Model 3 has a much wider variety of materials than the S and X.

The Neidermeyer article is not internally consistent and makes a leap in assumptions, as he tends to do in many of his Tesla related articles.

I do believe that some of the panels and structures of the chassis are stamped outside of Fremont. The Model 3 has a much wider variety of materials than the S and X.

The Neidermeyer article is not internally consistent and makes a leap in assumptions, as he tends to do in many of his Tesla related articles.
That does seem to be his modus operandi. Take some assumptions and stretch them as far as possible, sprinkle in some "technical' info and "data" to give credence to their legitimacy, and then string it all together in half-baked convoluted nonsense.

Reactions: techmaven
...Separate question, are the body panels of the Model 3 aluminum?

Different materials for different parts...

materials.png

He can’t keep focused. He has already moved his full attention to Puerto Rico instead.
Day 1 reservation holder (and concerned human being) here who fully supports Tesla focusing on doing what it can to help Puerto Rico right now, Model 3 production be damned. Clean water, food, electricity >>>>> mid-sized luxury cars and/or semi trucks.

I think this just about sums up the article.

In a statement, a Tesla spokeswoman declined to answer questions for this article and said, “For over a decade, the WSJ has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity. While it is possible that this article could be an exception, that is extremely unlikely.” The Journal disagrees with the company’s categorization of its journalism.

If accurate, this passage is pretty damning:

One worker who spent time in the Model 3 shop—dubbed by some as Area 51 because of the limited access and secretive nature—described watching young workers in September struggling to move large pieces of steel to weld together instead of using robots as is traditionally the case.

“In place of the robots…you’ve got two associates lining up with a big, old spot welder hanging from the ceiling by a chain, and you’ve got one associate kind of like balancing it and trying to get the welder in position, and you’ve got another welder with his arm guiding it,” this worker recalled seeing. “Sparks go flying.”

If you've been watching Tesla for a long time, you already know this is how Tesla rolls. When I did my Model S factory tour in March 2013, they had just put in a couple of new stations - those stations had previously been done by hand. This was about 6 months after Model S launch and about 6,000 Model S manufactured.

But manually welding body panels is a pretty big deal. There is little repeatability in the process as described by the WSJ quote. This is also third hand information, so who knows.

Reactions: techmaven
When the President tweets almost daily about fake news outlets NBC and CNN, millions nod their heads in agreement. But since he is addicted to tv news, we hear little from him about the fake news outlets that clog every Google search. Imagine what will happen if the President stops watching tv and instead uses Seeking Alpha for his daily news briefing. I realize the OP of this thread is just reporting what he/she thinks is newsworthy and perhaps it is, but I’m always leery of mysterious “news outlets.” This particular “news” story fails my smell test, but is sure to cause paranoia in its intended audience.

You people have no problem believing the WSJ when it fits your narrative. Which is it? "Mysterious" only when an anti-Tesla article comes out?

Reactions: LBusDoor90 and mmd
I think this just about sums up the article.

In a statement, a Tesla spokeswoman declined to answer questions for this article and said, “For over a decade, the WSJ has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity. While it is possible that this article could be an exception, that is extremely unlikely.” The Journal disagrees with the company’s categorization of its journalism.

LOL, showering WSJ with personal attacks refuted the article? I actually read the update to this. Tesla didn't deny anything in the article, and admitted this is part of the 'S curve'.
AFAIK, Tesla and Elon have personally attacked everyone, even past employees, when they caused negative news. Think the female engineer who pointed out issues in Model S headliner. Think the African american who brought race lawsuit. Think another female engineer who filed lawsuit for harassment. It's standard company policy these days, I suppose.

Day 1 reservation holder (and concerned human being) here who fully supports Tesla focusing on doing what it can to help Puerto Rico right now, Model 3 production be damned. Clean water, food, electricity >>>>> mid-sized luxury cars and/or semi trucks.

There is a difference between urgent and important. Batteries won't solve Puerto Rico's power problem immediately. It will take months. Elon also said. he has to first 'ramp up' cell production. That's another 6 months minimum, looking at tesla's ramp up history. What Puerto Rico needs right now is gas and diesel to run the generators and power plants, and lots of linemen to fix the downed power lines. But they got no money. They are bankrupt. I see this as another excuse for Model 3 delays.

But this will. Elon just needs to summon this with a few of his TSLA shares. ;)
Zeynep_Sultan_Seyir.jpg

LOL, showering WSJ with personal attacks refuted the article? I actually read the update to this. Tesla didn't deny anything in the article, and admitted this is part of the 'S curve'.
AFAIK, Tesla and Elon have personally attacked everyone, even past employees, when they caused negative news. Think the female engineer who pointed out issues in Model S headliner. Think the African american who brought race lawsuit. Think another female engineer who filed lawsuit for harassment. It's standard company policy these days, I suppose.

There is a difference between urgent and important. Batteries won't solve Puerto Rico's power problem immediately. It will take months. Elon also said. he has to first 'ramp up' cell production. That's another 6 months minimum, looking at tesla's ramp up history. What Puerto Rico needs right now is gas and diesel to run the generators and power plants, and lots of linemen to fix the downed power lines. But they got no money. They are bankrupt. I see this as another excuse for Model 3 delays.

But this will. Elon just needs to summon this with a few of his TSLA shares. ;)
View attachment 252379
Unfortunately, it's not generation capacity they need. It's distribution. Much harder problem to solve.
Robin

Reactions: transpondster