TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model #3 brakes: electromechanical. No more fluid?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vwtodd, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

The spec sheet lists the brakes as electromechanical - not electrohydraulic. Does anyone know if these are fluid-free? If so, I think that this may be the first in a production car.

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

3. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

We will see. Removing yet another fluid-based, hygroscopic system with seals that age, would be great.

Chassis
    • Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
    • Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
    • Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
    • Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
    • 18” Aero or 19” Sport wheels with all-season tires

• Like x 1
  4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

I suspect these are hydraulic brakes with electric boost/control (as opposed to vacuum assist in ICE vehicles), very similar, if not the same, to the Bosch iBooster used in the Model S.

• Like x 3
  5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I wonder what the word "boosted" means. Does Boosted mean that its helping and/or assisting the hydraulic?

6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

HEY!!!..... we were wondering the same thing at the same time. My post under your says the same thing. lol

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Yes, removing fluid cuts down on maintenance and not having to route brake tubing during production would save labor and possibly weight. Just plug and play harnesses and install the major components. Intrigued to say the least.

8. Petra

Petra Member

This. The specs say electromechanically boosted and the iBooster is an electromechanical hydraulic brake booster... as opposed to traditional vacuum boosted hydraulic brakes.

• Like x 2