TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 braking

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by trunks13, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. trunks13

trunks13 Member

I've had my M3 for 2 months and put over 3000 miles on it, overall very satisfied, however one thing I've always thought was a bit weak are the brakes. When pressing the brake pedal, it doesn't feel like a typical powered ABS I'm used to on ICE vehicles - it feels more like non powered brakes.

This is my first EV/Tesla so I've always thought that's how it works, but I got a loaner 85S from a service center and when I tap the brakes on the S, it's noticeably more responsive and acts like what I'd expect for powered brakes. Just curious if this is indeed normal for a M3 or if there's an issue here. Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

The brake feel is pretty firm. I haven't actually tested the ABS yet though. It might be a good idea to do so before I need it!

3. csshih

csshih whirrrr

when I test drove a performance 3 it had the firmest brake feel of any car I've ever driven. getting back into my S and using the same pressure was almost slamming on the brakes. I'm glad the 3 has more regen.

4. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I thought it would take me much longer than it did to get used one pedal driving. It took all of five minutes to figure that out. With that said, the brake pedal to me is for mashing on so I don’t hit something or when there is no more regen, so about 5MPH to completely stop the car. When I get my car back from the PPF installers I’ll check it out and use the brakes to stop the car a few times. But at less than 5 and emergency braking I haven’t used them exclusively. Now I’m curious! I don’t get the car back for another week or so too! I miss it so much!

5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

During the test drive I did notice it had a visceral, firm, and definite feel to it. It did feel very "manual". I didn't have occasion to take the braking level to the point of triggering ABS though, so no idea what'll happen there. I expect I'll try that out shortly after taking delivery.

Note that this is extremely unusual for hybrids/EVs, polar opposite it really, as they typically activate extra regen on the brake pedal so the brake pedal feels very mush and what's going to happen is far less certain. My understanding is that Tesla design is that they regen off completely as soon as you press the brake pedal.

6. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

No. Regen will continue while using the brake pedal but it isn't increased or modulated by it, as happens with some other EVs. This has the advantage of making the conventional braking system more reliable and predictable in performance.

You should be able to tell that regen is still active while using the brake pedal by the checking the energy/regen display (on the Model 3, a line showing energy being used or regenerated).

• Informative x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I believe that issue is that the brakes are electric, not hydraulic, at least from the brake pedal's perspective. So what you are feeling is the way the pedal is designed. I believe that you will find the same feel even when the car is off.

8. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

i much prefer the firmer feel of the brakes. My preference is that the brake pedal not travel so much.

Actually due to the use of a flawed "banjo bolt", many manufacturers have mushy brakes unintentionally. The bolt traps a small bubble that can't be bled out, which causes the mushiness. Almost all imports suffer from it, and some American cars are affected. German cars not so much. We might be accustomed to mushy brakes, attributing it to power brakes, when in reality, there's air in the brake line.

https://www.amazon.com/Give-Brake-Mr-David-Wilson/dp/1499509391

I know the author. He fixed the issue in my cars. Firm brakes are awesome.

• Like x 1
  9. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Is it normal for the regen to be off at about 8 mph? It seems like it could stay on a little longer or bring the car to a complete stop.

10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Yes, regen turns off at low speed so the car will not come to a stop by just regen.

• Like x 1