Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model 3 Branding Will Be Numeric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Branding for the Tesla Model 3 will be numeric, not the three horizontal lines originally presented when the vehicle was announced. Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed the decision on Twitter.

Confirmation comes a month after Tesla removed the mark from its website in favor of a “Model 3” logo.

The official name for the vehicle has been under review for some time. It was originally to be called the Model E. However, a trademark conflict with Ford forced Tesla to alter the “E” to “☰,” to be interpreted as a stylized 3. Tesla seems to have now scrapped that plan in favor of a numeric icon as the logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see on the website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office that Tesla abandoned the applications for "≡" and "Model ≡" on Feb. 06 and Feb. 12, 2017 respectively. There appears to have been no opposition to the registration of these trademarks.

I am a bit sad that ≡, in the trademark applications described as "three equal length horizontal stylized lines in the manner of a stylized number 3", is not being used after all but I guess it is all for the best in terms of marketing.

Last edited:
I see on the website of the United States Patent and Trademark Office that Tesla abandoned the applications for "≡" and "Model ≡" on Feb. 06 and Feb. 12, 2017 respectively. There appears to have been no opposition to the registration of these trademarks.

I am a bit sad that ≡, in the trademark applications described as "three equal length horizontal stylized lines in the manner of a stylized number 3", is not being used after all but I guess it is all for the best in terms of marketing.
Yes, 3 is much easier to type and makes is obvious that it's competing with BMW 3 series.