Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 break in and how to stop -- need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi every one,

Some one broke into my car (Austin,TX) and they stole cash, gift cards, ids and other packages from the car. They entered from the right passenger window. This happened in our parking lot overnight, I am really quite bummed and feel could have caught the sucker if I had sentry mode ON or the tech in the car. Anyways I would like to stop this from happening again and learn from this terrible thing. I would appreciate if you'all can share some tips for the safety the car.

Thanks in advance.
Prabhu

Don’t leave anything in a car. Ever. Especially overnight.

which window was broken? The smallish fixed window or the one that opens/closes? The fixed window is more expensive because it requires replacing the trim piece from my understanding.

Last edited:
Hi every one,

Some one broke into my car (Austin,TX) and they stole cash, gift cards, ids and other packages from the car. They entered from the right passenger window. This happened in our parking lot overnight, I am really quite bummed and feel could have caught the sucker if I had sentry mode ON or the tech in the car. Anyways I would like to stop this from happening again and learn from this terrible thing. I would appreciate if you'all can share some tips for the safety the car.

Thanks in advance.
Prabhu

Sorry for your break in, but you actually left" . Cash, gift cards, ID's and other packages" in the car, parked outside in a parking lot, overnight?

Why would anyone leave such things as "gift cards, cash and ID's" in a parked car, overnight? Note, I am not "blaming the victim" here, just trying to figure out why anyone would ever leave such things in a car, parked OUTSIDE, overnight, regardless of neighborhood, and also not have sentry mode on, but be AWARE of sentry mode.

It’s basically “Why” Sentry Mode was written and deployed, for car break-ins. We all learn the hard way sometimes. A good USB drive should be on your shopping list for Teslacam and Sentry.

Good Luck, and remember the folklore that criminals return to the scene of the crime (in the books and movies anyway).

It looks like you have to park in a crappy area. I guess my only advise would be to keep valuables out of the car and if I were you I would tint my windows and put a sunscreen on the windshield to minimize prying eyes. You also need to get sentry mode working because its really all you can do. Windows will always be breakable.

It looks like you have to park in a crappy area. I guess my only advise would be to keep valuables out of the car and if I were you I would tint my windows and put a sunscreen on the windshield to minimize prying eyes. You also need to get sentry mode working because its really all you can do. Windows will always be breakable.

If you tint and cover the windows it causes 2 problems:

1) Now they have to break in to see if there's anything obviously valuable left out (which of course there shouldn't be)

2) They're less able to see the Sentry YOU ARE BEING RECORDED message

So that advice seems counter-productive to discouraging thieves.

Hi every one,

Thanks in advance.
Prabhu

Hi Prabhu,

Hey Brother, sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident with your brand new car .

Next time you have extra cash and gift card just laying around, send them to me .
It will save you from getting your car broken into
(I will even send you some self addressed, stamped envelopes , to help you out)

Kind regards,
Heera

Reactions: ivy_
Thank you all and have a great holidays!!! . I installed the sentry mode and now feeling slightly better. The window replacement costed around $240 from tesla service.

@Heera lol... absolutely!!! I'll keep that in my mind, its better than the car break ins for sure.

Best
Prabhu :)