Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Break-In South Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are going to think I am so dumb... but I got one of these flashing red on my dashboard at night when the car is left unattended:

Solar powered, so it charges during the day and flashes at night in an obvious manner. Just to discourage a quick smash and grab. Of course I have the enhanced security protection on the inside and Sentry Mode on the outside, but... perhaps it makes me feel better?

Mike P

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

Yeah, I'm still folding my seats down in "problematic" areas/times. One of these days I might get around to ordering and installing a pair of (trunk) seat locks. But if I keep my seats down, I won't need the locks right?
We tried a pair of the trunk seat locks and were able to remove them and lower the seats in just a few seconds by using a flathead screwdriver. Not much of a deterrent.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
We tried a pair of the trunk seat locks and were able to remove them and lower the seats in just a few seconds by using a flathead screwdriver. Not much of a deterrent.
Just to be clear, the trunk seat locks I'm talking about are these:

In order to unlock the seats you would need to gain access to the inside of the trunk to operate the lever which moves the piece of plastic blocking the seat release mechanism. It's not the type of lock that sits inside the well behind the handle that unlocks the seat; i.e. the Drop-Lock design. That one can be seen from outside the car (since it's bright red) and is removable if you know the "trick".

If you are talking about the lock I referenced I'd like to know how you used a screwdriver to defeat it. PM me the details.

Just to be clear, the trunk seat locks I'm talking about are these:

In order to unlock the seats you would need to gain access to the inside of the trunk to operate the lever which moves the piece of plastic blocking the seat release mechanism. It's not the type of lock that sits inside the well behind the handle that unlocks the seat; i.e. the Drop-Lock design. That one can be seen from outside the car (since it's bright red) and is removable if you know the "trick".

If you are talking about the lock I referenced I'd like to know how you used a screwdriver to defeat it. PM me the details.
Thanks for the clarification. The ones that we were able to easily remove in just a few seconds were the "drop in" locks. They were pretty worthless.

I am wondering, do the cameras work if the car is asleep (parked)? Are cameras activated when/if someone opens a door or otherwise interacts with the car? This would be good if they do, so as to record a possible intruder.
Yes if the car is parked and sentry mode is turned on, the cameras will record anyone who comes in proximity of the car. It will also record if someone tries to open a door.

Our 2021 Model 3 rear corner was just broken into. So no fix yet.
I don't think laminate glass rear corner windows will help much regardless. The window will still shatter even though it stays as a sheet (given the laminate sheet is between two layers of glass) and it just means a more expensive window to replace. The perp may either be able to take the entire sheet off after shattering, or if not, they may just move to smashing the rear window (as mentioned in one of comments above of them doing that to a car right next after).

Core issue is there is no factory way to lock the seats (and unlikely to change given popular car is the Model Y, which didn't even come with a cargo cover stock until recently).
There is a practically free way to make your own however:
Secure your Model 3 Trunk in 3 minutes Without Buying Anything!