Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Breakdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
805F5E5E-BCB1-4BB2-9014-EBBA852176A5.jpeg
47CD9853-8239-4F18-80CB-844F2B8E8CC9.jpeg
Definitely not a hater thread, just for information.

2018 Model 3 LR EAP FSD Premium, 19" rims etc...all available options at the time, $60500
VIN 012XXX
Manufactured March 2018
Delivery 7/3/18
Marina Del Rey, CA
8 Miles on pick-up
Drove a total of 61 miles during the day to reach 69 on the same day. Parked vehicle, would not start. Error codes "Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power, Car may stop driving or shut down" "Car needs service, car may not restart". Contacted Roadside, car towed to Buena Park Service Center on 7/3/18, Loaned a 2014 Model S. July 4 SC closed, SC calls on 7/5/18. 7/6/18 SC reports failed drive unit. Part to be replaced next week.

Please post you breakdown experiences to be informative.

I think recent vins are 30,000+ I would be concerned if they can not explain the old vin. You didn't get the updated rear seat (18,000+). They should be able to show the GPS log as to where it was all this time. Sitting in re-work at Fremont? I would want a new car with a vin similar to ones currently being delivered. Check the delivery area. Good luck.

I think recent vins are 30,000+ I would be concerned if they can not explain the old vin. You didn't get the updated rear seat (18,000+). They should be able to show the GPS log as to where it was all this time. Sitting in re-work at Fremont? I would want a new car with a vin similar to ones currently being delivered. Check the delivery area. Good luck.

I would think that the time to bring up the VIN issue was at or prior to delivery. I understand the OP has 3 posts and joined today. OP may have not known about when cars were coming out in the sequence at or before delivery. Just don't get your hopes up for a new car.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: trmmcd and hoang51
This is what happens when you’re hard on a car. Stop driving it like you stole it. ;)

Hopefully a quick fix.

Additional info. The car didn’t want to stay in transport mode. It keep deactivating after about 20 seconds. Tow truck driver asked me to sit in vehicle, which at that point it stayed in transport mode long enough time to be winched up onto the flatbed. I wonder if being behind the wheel is a necessity so you can brake if the car rolls. Any thoughts??

I would think that the time to bring up the VIN issue was at or prior to delivery. I understand the OP has 3 posts and joined today. OP may have not known with where cars were coming out in the sequence at or before delivery. Just don't get your hopes up for a new car.

You are correct. All vehicles at the Marina Del Rey delivery facility were already accounted for a specific owner; no choice -not like you would normally have on a dealer lot. Not if it enda up being a lemon - thats a different story. I know, I know do buy first model runs. Had a 2007 X5 that I bought brand new after the redesign. Problems with engine ticking/oil strvation starting at 2500 miles. Long story short - BMW ended buying it back almost 4 years later and returning 97% of what I paid for it incl loan interest and vehicle registration fees.

You are correct. All vehicles at the Marina Del Rey delivery facility were already accounted for a specific owner; no choice -not like you would normally have on a dealer lot. Not if it enda up being a lemon - thats a different story. I know, I know do buy first model runs. Had a 2007 X5 that I bought brand new after the redesign. Problems with engine ticking/oil strvation starting at 2500 miles. Long story short - BMW ended buying it back almost 4 years later and returning 97% of what I paid for it incl loan interest and vehicle registration fees.

Yes I understand Marina Del Ray. That is where I took delivery as well. Did you bring up your concern and ask if you could get a new VIN? If so I would like to hear what they said. As in no. That's the car you get, or you have to wait X.

In some ways owning a first year BMW is the best way to own a BMW because you get to own it for free. Same thing happened to a friend of mine with the infamous high pressure fuel pump issue. The CA lemon law is great.
Not much to be done about your Model 3 though. You have to give them a few chances to fix it.

Yes I understand Marina Del Ray. That is where I took delivery as well. Did you bring up your concern and ask if you could get a new VIN? If so I would like to hear what they said. As in no. That's the car you get, or you have to wait X.

No. Didn't know that there was a possible concern with something like this happening. Well the story doesn't end there in that there are some paint clear coat issues (hazy spots), rear console rubber peeling, scratch on front pass door and dirty pass front pillar that needs to be taken care of.

I agree. There's an untold story with this specific car for Tesla to have held on to it for so long. Knowing OP's configure date would shed a little light. My VIN was in the same range but I've had mine for months.

Yeah my VIN is same range too. It was built in April and was delivered in April.

At the time this one was built there was the huge rush to deliver cars before end of Q1 so it should have been delivered right away. (MSM was the most popular color so it was in demand.) This car not being delivered until 3-4 months later seems fishy especially considering it died after only a few miles. With cars in such demand I can't imagine they forgot about it for a few months. (They didn't even have any to display at stores and test drive.) I suspect it had problems serious enough that it took that long to fix, only maybe they didn't actually fix it.