Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Breaking System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing some reading on the Model 3 breaking system and having some trouble finding some clear information.

1) Does the model 3 use the iBoost break booster? If no what system and how does it work?
2) The parking break appears to be a separate electric only break caliper/system?
3) Is the parking brake caliper ratcheting or screw type system? Does it need constant power to stay on?
4) what happens if power fails is there a pearly mechanical braking system? I would assume without break boost but hydraulic.
5) With regenerative breaking, does it work on a full battery? Where does the generated power go if battery is full? Does this affect one peddle driving?

I'm doing some reading on the Model 3 breaking system and having some trouble finding some clear information.

1) Does the model 3 use the iBoost break booster? If no what system and how does it work?
2) The parking break appears to be a separate electric only break caliper/system?
3) Is the parking brake caliper ratcheting or screw type system? Does it need constant power to stay on?
4) what happens if power fails is there a pearly mechanical braking system? I would assume without break boost but hydraulic.
5) With regenerative breaking, does it work on a full battery? Where does the generated power go if battery is full? Does this affect one peddle driving?

5). If you have a full battery, you won’t have regen braking. So lifting off the throttle will at most make the car coast. And yes, this affects one pedal driving in that you now have to use your brakes a lot more. After a few miles, regen comes back...

5). If you have a full battery, you won’t have regen braking. So lifting off the throttle will at most make the car coast. And yes, this affects one pedal driving in that you now have to use your brakes a lot more. After a few miles, regen comes back...

Interesting so basically don't get used to having that breaking power or keep an eye on the battery level so you don't assume you'll have that added resistance when letting off the pedal. Seems kind of hazardous.

1. Yes, I believe it uses a Bosch iBoost, but seems to be different than the one in X/S
2. Parking brake uses same caliper in rear brakes, but has separate electrical actuation.
3. Electric screw, shouldn't need constant power to stay engaged
4. Brakes work like normal hydraulic brakes.
5. Reduced regen at full or cold battery and will affect one pedal driving. Should give a warning if that is the case.

Interesting so basically don't get used to having that breaking power or keep an eye on the battery level so you don't assume you'll have that added resistance when letting off the pedal. Seems kind of hazardous.
Driving with a full battery should be a very rare occurrence (both in that you shouldn't be charging to 100% very often and after a few miles your battery isn't full anymore). Driving with a cold battery can also reduce regen and may occur more frequently, although it will normally warm up quickly. Either one isn't something I would worry about or consider hazardous - regen isn't applicable in an emergency braking situation so you should have plenty of time to realize that you're not slowing down and switch to the brake pedal.

Reactions: gavine
Thanks for the info, so basically for 4) if you have no power for some reason, malfunction say and it uses the iBoost system you should have regular hydraulic breaks without boost.

Also are you saying that for 3) It does use some kind of electric screw or worm gear type system? or are you just stating that if it does it should stay engaged without power?

@GregRF

Last edited:
Driving with a full battery should be a very rare occurrence (both in that you shouldn't be charging to 100% very often and after a few miles your battery isn't full anymore). Driving with a cold battery can also reduce regen and may occur more frequently, although it will normally warm up quickly. Either one isn't something I would worry about or consider hazardous - regen isn't applicable in an emergency braking situation so you should have plenty of time to realize that you're not slowing down and switch to the brake pedal.
Good points, I guess the only time I would really consider full battery would be on long trips. As for the cold I live in NY so we do have some cold winters. But yes very valid point that you should be able to notice you don't have regen breaking. I was mainly thinking of the situation where your just getting on the expressway maybe come up behind a semi or something and let off the accelerator and nothing happens.

What system on the 3 is breaking? The brake system is good. You can edit here for a whole TEN MINUTES after posting a post. Gee, thanks, moderators........
yeah found out that I didn't have enough posts to edit. Also found out that I made the mistake in the title and can't edit that or don't know how. But it's ok hopefully I made a few peoples day for a good laugh.

Thanks for the info, so basically for 4) if you have no power for some reason, malfunction say and it uses the iBoost system you should have regular hydraulic breaks without boost.

Also are you saying that for 3) It does use some kind of electric screw or worm gear type system? or are you just stating that if it does it should stay engaged without power?

@GregRF

4. Yes

3. Haven't seen the inside, but there is an electric motor you can see mounted on the caliper and can hear it whirl when engaging and disengaging. The owner's manual states that the parking brake cannot be disengaged if you loose electrical power.
5a579d4f3c555.jpeg