Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 breaks record for cross country drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Miles per hour charging depends on charging and vehicle efficiencies. Note that the Model 3 is based on the long-range version. I don't know which Model S and X they use. Model 3:
- is lighter (3814lb v 4850lb (100D))
- uses a permanent magnet motor v an induction motor
- has smaller wheels (18" v 19")

PS Chevy makes the Cruze and Corvette.

Cruze, Cobalt, Cavalier.....

a turd by any other name is still a turd. LOL

I think you are missing a major point that the Model 3 is smaller and weighs less which translates into greater efficiency. The Model S gets about 3 miles/KW and I would bet the model 3 is closer to 4/KW. So with 220V and 40 amps you are getting 10KW. So an hour of charging a Model S yields 30 miles and a Model 3 40 miles. A Roadster is even more efficient due to its small size as it gains 44 miles/hour on 40 amps.

Comment #47 seemed to address that......but OK, I guess I missed a major point.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Why do people always do the run West to East? It's 5000' downhill from Colorado to NY??
Elevation of LA is 233' and NY 33', so that will make a miniscule difference. The winds, however, are significant, with the prevailing winds from West to East. I learned this the hard way on a bicycle trip from Chicago to SF fighting the wind nearly the whole time.

Do you mean the onboard AC->DC chargers? Because they aren't used for Supercharging, which is DC current direct to the batteries, bypassing the chargers, so they should be of no consequence if doing a cross-country supercharger trip.
Now that I think back he may have said it was the software, but shouldn't a software update eliminate that? Or perhaps the DC equipment on older Model S was a little more robust so could handle longer charge times at higher speeds?

As far as I know (I'm not an expert) the "DC equipment" is just the BMS, and I haven't heard that there are any differences among cars so far. At least I've never seen that discussed. The inverters have changed, but that doesn't play a role in DC supercharging. All cars (except for maybe some 60 and 40 kWh battery cars) should be able to handle the full 120kW supplied by the superchargers until the batteries themselves begin to taper (depending on battery and ambient temperatures, of course).

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
The honor of this thread now goes to Alex Roy and Dan Zorrilla for

Tesla Model 3 Sets New EV Cannonball Run Record of 50 Hours, 16 Minutes

Congratulations!

Start: Thursday, December 28th, 2017
To: Red Ball garage in New York City

Total time: 50 hours, 16 minutes, 32 seconds
Total mileage: 2,860 miles
Charging cost: $100.95

Last edited:
I want to hear about the flashing police lights when they got pulled over...

Did they get pulled over?

...This is even more amazing when you think of the reduced range due to the cold...

Alex Roy‏ @AlexRoy144
I can confirm that extreme cold negatively affects the #Tesla #Model3. Also, ME.

5:44 AM - 29 Dec 2017

...There were very bundled up for cold in the vide.

But the Central Display shows that their seats were heated and the cabin was set at 64F.

Last edited: