Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 breaks record for cross country drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the Thomsens' coast-to-coast record is expected due to a few factors:

1) Summertime: HVAC toll is not as much as in winter

2) Higher Supercharger rate: I am not sure of much help because there are only 3 V3 250kW stations so far. Or does it mean all Superchargers are now at least 145kW?

3) No traffic citations

Since their car's range is only 310 miles, would the new Model S with a range of 370 miles be the next to break the coast-to-coast record?

Or will Model S have to wait because its Supercharging rate is not catching up with Model 3?

I suspect that the charge rate would be the biggest factor right now. but who knows...maybe you can drive fast enough to cut that difference because you have more range to play with.

would be interesting to see a Raven 100D try it.

If they had Aero wheels on it, they probably could have clipped off some Supercharging time. At, say, 4% efficiency improvement, they would have saved about 35 kWh - which would be about 15-30 minutes of V2 Supercharging. Once deployed along the route, V3 Supercharging could probably cut another 2 hours off the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
2) Higher Supercharger rate: I am not sure of much help because there are only 3 V3 250kW stations so far. Or does it mean all Superchargers are now at least 145kW?
V3 SC is currently a zero-impact on that route, unless it happens to go through the Las Vegas Strip?

Most are 140kW+, but more-so not only do most of the older ones that predate that allow somewhat above 120kW peak, the other parts of the curve have large improvements as well. You're at 100kW+ into the 60% range and a lot of time is saved in the 60%-80% range, if you need to get into that for a given jump, because the ratio difference there over the old curve is even bigger than 150kW:120kW.

• Informative
Swiss Family Thomsen. Pretty funny, remarkable and cool that your average Swiss family can just up and go for a cannonball run and break the record in a regular old Tesla. Just looking at abetterrouteplanner.com, their trip seems pretty close to optimal, with 44h8m being the prediction for driving at 115% of reference speed. Near the end, in Arizona or Cali, it seemed like they may have had to wait at a Supercharger, as it seemed like they moved the car a couple times. Wondering if they could have avoided that and gotten a better time, if they had started in Cali, left late at night, and driven East, avoiding the waits.

Trying the new Roadster shows a lot fewer stops, as expected, and longer charges for the larger battery, but only a slight improvement to 43h15m. Obviously, they made alot of assumptions, but it doesn't seem all that much faster, considering that in the real world, 4hr back-to-back legs of driving is a bit much for any one person. Definitely requires alternating. And the route even has a stop in Vegas at the v3 supercharger, where it seems to put in a 40min normal v2 charge in only 27m.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
upload_2019-8-2_21-42-28.png
upload_2019-8-2_21-42-28.png

Looks like the sweet spot for the Model 3 is 103mph according to abetterrouteplanner. Set ref speed to 200%, max speed to 103mph, min charge to 5% and It claims it can be done in 41:38!
One of keys would be to have people ICE a pair of supercharger spots for you at every stop. That and not die or get arrested for reckless driving...

I guess the Thomsens' coast-to-coast record is expected due to a few factors:

1) Summertime: HVAC toll is not as much as in winter

3) No traffic citations

Since their car's range is only 310 miles, would the new Model S with a range of 370 miles be the next to break the coast-to-coast record?

Or will Model S have to wait because its Supercharging rate is not catching up with Model 3?

All stations are now 145kw

• Informative
Looks like the sweet spot for the Model 3 is 103mph according to abetterrouteplanner. Set ref speed to 200%, max speed to 103mph, min charge to 5% and It claims it can be done in 41:38!
One of keys would be to have people ICE a pair of supercharger spots for you at every stop. That and not die or get arrested for reckless driving...
Once enough V3 stations open up, I would think one could set a sub 40 hr time in the high 30s (will that one be me? time will tell :) ) the speeds would be very reckless indeed...

I didn't do it for the bragging rights, I did it because it's a stimulating challenge and I love road trips. We also raised money for human trafficking: freedom5000.org

I agree that for EVs, it's not about bragging rights but it's about how capable EVs are now.

A horse drawn carriage can do a Coast-to-Coast trip but it's impractical and it's still very true to other non-Tesla EVs.

It's refreshing to learn that Tesla keeps shrinking down the time spent for a Coast-to-Coast trip.

I agree that for EVs, it's not about bragging rights but it's about how capable EVs are now.

A horse drawn carriage can do a Coast-to-Coast trip but it's impractical and it's still very true to other non-Tesla EVs.

It's refreshing to learn that Tesla keeps shrinking down the time spent for a Coast-to-Coast trip.

A bit shocking that a x-country trip is still not practical for other EVs yet. You'd think that's the first thing the other mfrs would want to get ready and promote. Just punched in a Chevy Bolt into abetterrouteplanner.com and it shows for the exact same trip from NYC to the Portofino Marina in LA, a trip of 65h 13m!!! 20 hrs longer than the Swiss Family Thomsen, and 20hrs of charging! You'd have to have the patience of Job to want to do that. I've seen posts at the Chevy forums extolling the practicality of doing a long trip in the Bolt, but seriously, you'd have to be retired and a lover of flea markets to want to stop that often and for that long. Those are all eating stops, you'll get fat before you get to LA.

Just tried the 62kWh Nissan Leaf Plus, and it's showing that it's still impossible!?! Nuts! Almost 59hrs for an E-Tron. And, almost 60hrs for a Kia Niro. Strangely, the Hyundai Ionic is only 58 and a half hrs. I thought it was the same as the Niro? And the MB EQC, almost 62hrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
A bit shocking that a x-country trip is still not practical for other EVs yet. You'd think that's the first thing the other mfrs would want to get ready and promote. Just punched in a Chevy Bolt into abetterrouteplanner.com and it shows for the exact same trip from NYC to the Portofino Marina in LA, a trip of 65h 13m!!! 20 hrs longer than the Swiss Family Thomsen, and 20hrs of charging! You'd have to have the patience of Job to want to do that. I've seen posts at the Chevy forums extolling the practicality of doing a long trip in the Bolt, but seriously, you'd have to be retired and a lover of flea markets to want to stop that often and for that long. Those are all eating stops, you'll get fat before you get to LA.

Just tried the 62kWh Nissan Leaf Plus, and it's showing that it's still impossible!?! Nuts! Almost 59hrs for an E-Tron. And, almost 60hrs for a Kia Niro. Strangely, the Hyundai Ionic is only 58 and a half hrs. I thought it was the same as the Niro? And the MB EQC, almost 62hrs.
I'm not sure why someone would want to drive across the country in any car in two days except for the challenge...