Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 breaks record for cross country drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why someone would want to drive across the country in any car in two days except for the challenge...

No question it is a challenge.

But because of the challenge, it can prove EV's capability.

It's just like the 15 vehicles set out to run around in the desert in DARPA Grand Challenge in 2004.

Who would run around in the desert except because it's a challenge or bragging rights?

But in so doing, it proved that Autonomous cars can happen someday!

And I think that's the same way with EV coast to coast trips.

Last edited:
No question it is a challenge.

But because of the challenge, it can prove EV's capability.

It's just like the 15 vehicles to run around in the desert in DARPA Grand Challenge in 2004.

Who would run around in the desert except because it's a challenge or bragging rights?

But in so doing, it proved that Autonomous cars can happen someday!

And I think that's the same way with EV coast to coast trips.
I'm all for someone doing it for the challenge! Even though I personally wouldn't do it. I bet someone could have a perfectly enjoyable trip driving cross country in a Bolt, they'd just have to stop and enjoy the sights.
Now driving across the country in an EV1, that was a real challenge! It took 3 weeks. (Charge Across America home page)
Someone has biked across the country in 8 days. haha.

Reactions: Tam
A bit shocking that a x-country trip is still not practical for other EVs yet. You'd think that's the first thing the other mfrs would want to get ready and promote. Just punched in a Chevy Bolt into abetterrouteplanner.com and it shows for the exact same trip from NYC to the Portofino Marina in LA, a trip of 65h 13m!!! 20 hrs longer than the Swiss Family Thomsen, and 20hrs of charging! You'd have to have the patience of Job to want to do that. I've seen posts at the Chevy forums extolling the practicality of doing a long trip in the Bolt, but seriously, you'd have to be retired and a lover of flea markets to want to stop that often and for that long. Those are all eating stops, you'll get fat before you get to LA.

Just tried the 62kWh Nissan Leaf Plus, and it's showing that it's still impossible!?! Nuts! Almost 59hrs for an E-Tron. And, almost 60hrs for a Kia Niro. Strangely, the Hyundai Ionic is only 58 and a half hrs. I thought it was the same as the Niro? And the MB EQC, almost 62hrs.

Also for fun, ABRP allows trying a Tesla with CHAdeMO only - no Superchargers. It estimates a Model 3 LR RWD at about 62 hours 28 mins, and a Raven Model S LR at 68 hours 4 min. The latter includes 23.5 hours of charging - presumably in the 25-50 kW range.

I'm not sure why someone would want to drive across the country in any car in two days except for the challenge...
Well, back in the day, my sister and brother went off to college, and both drove their cars across country from Maine to California. Not really sightseeing as they were both loaded down with all their dorm stuff, so getting across country in as quick and easy a fashion is something that people will do.

When you have multiple disperse locations to visit it makes a lot of sense. I drove cross-countrIES because I had very nearly as much ground to cover between first and last stops as distance between those two & home, totaled. All that distance of the trip for a fraction of the carbon footprint of flying the first leg, alone.

Or if you’re hauling a car sized load of goods. I’ve seen people of modest means, usually younger, haul their entire house hold in cars w/less room than a Model 3.

30 years ago I did it. As a student. A few times. Although an 89’ Diplomat probably has comparable capacity to a Model 3 (difficultly comes in fixed back seat).

Drove cross country SF to Boston in 2018 in a Peske 40' truck towing a trailer with my son's Toyota pickup on it. Five days of bouncing down and up and up and down. Start of the fifth day, my 72nd birthday, I was driving the morning shift and slamming along I-90 past Buffalo when I announced to my second born, by the time I turn 73, I'm going to have a Tesla. Fast forward. Took delivery on Decemberber 17, 2018 of a blue M3 LR AWD. My point, and I do have one, a cross country excursion can have many effects. Mine, the BEST car I've ever owned. I'd never go back to an ICE vehicle. Now, I'd love to repeat that drive in my M3. At the end, however, I'm sure I would not want to buy a 40' Penske truck. Just say'in. ;)

Reactions: BM3B