Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Broken Into"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to put 'broken into" in quotes because it was as simple as them just opening the door and stealing what was inside because the door was unlocked despite me having auto locking turned on.

Why didn't the car autolock like it was supposed to? I have an Android and it obviously still does not work like it should with this vechile.

I had to put 'broken into" in quotes because it was as simple as them just opening the door and stealing what was inside because the door was unlocked despite me having auto locking turned on.

Why didn't the car autolock like it was supposed to? I have an Android and it obviously still does not work like it should with this vechile.
You should experiment and contact service... park it, walk away, come back without phone or fob or whatever detects you and try to open it.
Others here have posted that they come back to their cars and they seem to be unlocked, search the threads.

Were all of your doors fully closed? The car will not auto lock if any of the doors are open.

I'm pretty paranoid about my car being unlocked so I always check for the mirrors to fold as I'm walking away. Folded mirrors = locked car.

In spite of multiple failures to unlock or start my android has never failed to auto lock. Unless I leave the phone in the car! I expect a bunch of model 3s to be stolen once it gets out that a model 3 in a parking lot with it's mirror unfolded is unlocked and probably has a phone inside as a key ready to drive off! My typical scenario is the phone lets me in, but won't start the car so I have to take it out of my pocket to restart Bluetooth and/or switch airplane mode on and off and/or restart phone. Then I toss it on the pass seat rather than try to put it in my pocket and leave it there when I exit the car.

Reactions: sfl321
I have had multiple issues with Auto Lock.

Galaxy S8. All doors and windows closed.

I have seen it most when the auto unlock didnt work, then i had to use the key card to get in (but not to start the car).

With this said.. i have also experienced it where auto unlock works and doesnt auto lock. Ever time i walk away from my car now, i ALWAYS look behind to make sure the mirrors fold in (which is the only way for me to know 100% if my car actually locked).

I knew this was going to happen to someone. Surprised it took this long to be honest...

Reactions: sfl321

I have seen it most when the auto unlock didnt work, then i had to use the key card to get in (but not to start the car).

With this said.. i have also experienced it where auto unlock works and doesnt auto lock. Ever time i walk away from my car now, i ALWAYS look behind to make sure the mirrors fold in (which is the only way for me to know 100% if my car actually locked).

I knew this was going to happen to someone. Surprised it took this long to be honest...
I've actually never had a problem with the car not locking. It's a serious issue if this is a common problem.

Reactions: emorog
This is a real problem.

I'd like to see a few remedies:
  1. Device charging in the forward phone cradles when Parked = notice on screen and optional push notification.
  2. Autolock-activated optional push notification. Easier to read this confirmation instead of turning around to look for folded mirrors. The habit of doing so would reinforce having your phone when leaving the car.
  3. Car unlocked (n-minutes) after Park push notification. Maybe there's a good reason, but maybe you left it unlocked unintentionally. Now you know and can do something about it.

Reactions: emorog and chronopc
I have an android phone and have had my M3 for a month. I have seen it require the card to unlock, but not to shift out of park; I have seen it use the phone to unlock, but then require the card to shift out of park. The android support is definitely buggy. The phone seems to work maybe half of the time.

So far, when I have used to phone to unlock, it has always locked when I walked away, but I have started getting into the habit of always using my card to lock it to ensure that it is locked.

Reactions: colettimj

That is my take away from this is having to verify each time. I took it for granted coming from a Model S that had the fob. I NEVER had an issues, it worked great.

This is a real problem.

I'd like to see a few remedies:
  1. Device charging in the forward phone cradles when Parked = notice on screen and optional push notification.
  2. Autolock-activated optional push notification. Easier to read this confirmation instead of turning around to look for folded mirrors. The habit of doing so would reinforce having your phone when leaving the car.
  3. Car unlocked (n-minutes) after Park push notification. Maybe there's a good reason, but maybe you left it unlocked unintentionally. Now you know and can do something about it.
Notification is a great idea.

Somebody posted an RFE to have the car give a quick beep when it auto locks. This would be great for this scenario. As is I always check mine on the app or glance back for the folded mirrors.

I like this idea, I hope they can implement something like this. While I initially loved the idea of a phone app, it just is not working out at all with Androids it seems. The tech just can not be trusted right now in its current state.