Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Broken Power Window Switch Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can confirm the above note...the driver window part of my driver window switch broke last week to the point where it won't put the window up at all (been using the app to close the windows since then). mobile service is here now fixing it, total is $51 ($39 for the part and $12 for labor). no $100 "diagnostic fee" to determine that the switch was broken, which was easily determined by me. the reason i made the appointment is because...the switch is broken. no further diagnosis is necessary.

a very fair price compared to the almost $300 i was quoted two years ago. i'm hopeful this is a trend with tesla deciding to stop gouging us on repair costs.

$87 total parts & labor. Mobile service tomorrow in OC, CA. Charging additional $27 for 9 trim clips which I’m not sure is entirely necessary but still reasonable for the amount of time this would take me to do it myself
IMG_7385.jpeg

I have a 2018 Model 3 with the exact same issue. The plastic is in the power window control button is surprisingly thin, and the button for the passenger's side window on the driver's side door just broke off in my hand several days ago. This is sad. A car that is as expensive as this car was and is treated well, Only my wife and I drive it.

I had the same issue happen on my (guess!) 2018 Model 3, purchased in spring 2019 - so it is just out of warranty.

I filed a mobile service request with Tesla and asked that they cover the fix, seeing as it is apparently a common problem with this model year, with a weak plastic component. Plus, I've never seen a part like this ever break on any other car I've owned.

After my chat (with photo), their initial quoted estimate was around $50 for the visit including the part – but right before the technician arrived, I received an updated estimate at a total cost of $0.00.

Once on site, it took the fellow around 20 minutes to replace the broken part and he left with a handshake.

Thank you to Tesla for doing the right thing!

Reactions: drdumont
Third data point: June 2018 LR RWD VIN 444xx My passenger side front window switch on the driver's door has worked perfectly (up to present time).
Update: 3 1/4 years after I posted this, all my window switches on the driver's door continue to operate just fine (knock on wood). I guess it's because I don't use them all that much; maybe once every ten times I get in the car. I do pull up on all of them after I've vented the car and also when I think I hear some excessive wind noise while driving (just in case they've moved). So far, so good...

I wish I had found this thread before I did my swap today. I was motivated to do my own video as the camera had better eyes than I did, then it was easy to just slap together and post on YT:

Hmm... Just noticed I put Model Model 3 & Y, oops

I paid $16 on eBay for my switch and I already had the plastic stick I unclipped the old one with. The Tesla continues to be my favorite car ever, despite never having lost a switch in previous cars, the sense of accomplishment being able to do my own repairs is grand.

FYI just had the driver window switch module replaced in our 2018 M3 by Mobile Service for $58 in San Jose. Only took 25 min. So convenient.

Of course, it shouldn't have broken in the first place, but at least getting it fixed was painless, fast and cheap! We pull up our driver window at least once a day, everyday for the past 6 years.

Would be cool if we had a place where we could put ALL the services Tesla offers and what you paid for your visit. This and the 12v battery sound like cheap repairs, but lower control arms sound expensive and contactor replacement is in the middle considering how hard it is.