Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Broken Power Window Switch Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow I managed to crack part of one of the plastic power window switch buttons in my Model 3. I must have Hulk fingers. :p

When I first noticed something was wrong, I was trying to raise the front-passenger window via the switch in the driver's door when I realized (A) it wasn't working, and (B) the button felt loose. At this point, it could still lower the window, but not raise it.

When I got home, I pulled out the plastic switch button out to investigate what was happening (it came out pretty easily), and found that some small bits of plastic appeared to have cracked off. (In the photos below, I've circled the areas where it looks like material cracked off. I'm pretty sure the two protruding bits on either side are supposed to be mirror images of each other.) And it appears that these bits that cracked off are what interfaces with the switch mechanism itself.

So I guess I'll be scheduling an appointment to get this fixed. Hopefully they'll be able to replace only the broken button and not the whole (probably expensive) switch assembly. But I'm not feeling terribly optimistic.

Anyway... since I couldn't find any reports online of this happening to anyone else, I figured I'd share in case anyone else runs into this same issue in the future. I'll post updates if/when it gets fixed.

delete me - tesla forum pic 1.jpg

delete me - tesla forum pic 2.jpg

delete me - tesla forum pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
Got it fixed.

At first the Service Center (Westmont, IL) wrote up my invoice charging me $39 in parts and $52.50 in labor, for a total of $94.43 after tax.

But when I went to pick up my car, the guy helping me check out reviewed the charge and decided to change it to being covered by warranty, so I ended up with no bill. Yay! :)

FYI: The part listed on the invoice was "M3 DOOR WINDOW SWITCH DRIVER HG(1081037-01-F)", so they didn't just replace the one broken switch/button. But even if I'd had to pay for it, $39 seems like a surprisingly reasonable price.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7 and elf9
Mines driver's side switch broke controlling the front passenger side.

VIN = 31,XXX

Tesla replaced it under warranty, the whole switch assembly driver's side.

Did they replace the whole assembly or just the switch?

Strange how both our VINs are in the same 30Ks and same switch ?

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Mines driver's side switch broke controlling the front passenger side.

VIN = 31,XXX

Tesla replaced it under warranty, the whole switch assembly driver's side.

Did they replace the whole assembly or just the switch?

Strange how both our VINs are in the same 30Ks and same switch ?

Pretty sure it was the whole assembly. (The space down in between the switches looked cleaner than before, and even if they had cleaned it I doubt they would've been so thorough in cleaning down into the nooks and crannies like that.

Yeah, pretty strange that it was for the same window. Glad you didn't have to pay anything either. Cheers.

This happened to me as well, also the switch that controls the front passenger window. I noticed the switch was loose when trying to raise the window but could still lower it, so I booked a service appointment. Yesterday I forgot the switch was still broken so when I went to raise the front passenger window the switch broke off completely. Tesla service will be at my house tomorrow to replace it.

My 3 is a March 2018 build. Perhaps there is an issue with this particular switch and some of the 2018 3’s.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and jsmay311
This happened to me as well, also the switch that controls the front passenger window. I noticed the switch was loose when trying to raise the window but could still lower it, so I booked a service appointment. Yesterday I forgot the switch was still broken so when I went to raise the front passenger window the switch broke off completely. Tesla service will be at my house tomorrow to replace it.

My 3 is a March 2018 build. Perhaps there is an issue with this particular switch and some of the 2018 3’s.

There was another poster had a similar problem, they got the switch replaced on warranty. They replaced the whole assembly.

Do you use the switch a lot? We seldom lower the windows, the filtration system seems to work very well to keep dust out of the vehicle.

There was another poster had a similar problem, they got the switch replaced on warranty. They replaced the whole assembly.

Do you use the switch a lot? We seldom lower the windows, the filtration system seems to work very well to keep dust out of the vehicle.

I received the cost estimate to approve in the Tesla app today and it came to $0, so it will indeed be covered under warranty when they fix it tomorrow. The entire assembly is being replaced, it's the same part number someone else listed above.

I do indeed use the window switches quite regularly when weather permits and I'm the only one in the car.

Finally got my window switch fixed today. I was away from home when the service tech came by. I didn’t realize that Tesla service techs have the ability to unlock our cars now, so I’m a little bit concerned about that. Anyway, tech called me when he arrived and gave me a call again when he finished. He also sprayed disinfectant on every surface he touched in my car which was appreciated.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and jsmay311
So, this just happened to me, too. I'm about 2,000 miles past my bumper to bumper warranty, and my closest service center (2.5 hours away) tells me there will be a diagnostic fee of $175 before any labor or parts charges. Seems *really* steep for a piece of broken plastic. I'm pretty handy, so I'm going to start looking for a good YouTube tutorial. The service center can't see me for 3 weeks anyway.
Edit: 2018, LR, RWD, VIN Serial number 51xxx

Last edited:
Finally got my window switch fixed today. I was away from home when the service tech came by. I didn’t realize that Tesla service techs have the ability to unlock our cars now, so I’m a little bit concerned about that. Anyway, tech called me when he arrived and gave me a call again when he finished. He also sprayed disinfectant on every surface he touched in my car which was appreciated.
They can only do it through their web portal (One tech I met told me a story about when he locked his key fob in his work S. Tried to use the laptop to unlock, but the computers were down that day. Ended up having to have his GF drive him the spare key fob). They can easily unlock a car they are scheduled to work on. I've heard tell that they can create a case in the field, and then unlock the vehicle. I was at a supercharger once, long line of people waiting to charge, and some person parked and didn't plug in. There was a ranger there, and he confirmed he could get into the car, but isn't authorized to move it or do anything, so he wouldn't. He did look up the owner and give them a courtesy call.
Tesla keeps tabs on their Service Techs. I'd be very surprised if a tech didn't get caught if they abused their power.

So, this just happened to me, too. I'm about 2,000 miles past my bumper to bumper warranty, and my closest service center (2.5 hours away) tells me there will be a diagnostic fee of $175 before any labor or parts charges. Seems *really* steep for a piece of broken plastic. I'm pretty handy, so I'm going to start looking for a good YouTube tutorial. The service center can't see me for 3 weeks anyway.
Edit: 2018, LR, RWD, VIN Serial number 51xxx

Bummer.

re: the switch... if you search the part number listed above in the 2nd post (1081037-01-F) you might find a few for sale on eBay. I just tried searching and there are several “pre-owned” switch assemblies for sale. The cheapest one was $120.

it really is too bad the individual plastic pieces aren’t serviceable.

Side note: that’s a lot of miles to put on in under 2 years. Impressive! :D

Bummer.

re: the switch... if you search the part number listed above in the 2nd post (1081037-01-F) you might find a few for sale on eBay. I just tried searching and there are several “pre-owned” switch assemblies for sale. The cheapest one was $120.

it really is too bad the individual plastic pieces aren’t serviceable.

Side note: that’s a lot of miles to put on in under 2 years. Impressive! :D
eBay prices for Tesla parts are hilariously overpriced. But, I think people assume Tesla parts are expensive and assume eBay will be cheaper, so they don't even check with Tesla.

Tow hook cover: Ebay $55. Tesla $7
Window Switch Assembly: Ebay $120. Tesla $39

Yikes!

Moral of the story - avoid eBay for Tesla parts if you can!

Reactions: untilcomplete
eBay prices for Tesla parts are hilariously overpriced. But, I think people assume Tesla parts are expensive and assume eBay will be cheaper, so they don't even check with Tesla.

Tow hook cover: Ebay $55. Tesla $7
Window Switch Assembly: Ebay $120. Tesla $39

Yikes!

Moral of the story - avoid eBay for Tesla parts if you can!

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but can individuals order parts from Tesla through a SC as long as they pick them up in person? (I assume no home shipping.)

I searched the 1081037-01-F part number on epc.tesla.com and found the part, although its price is not listed (maybe I don't have access to see it?) and it has a "sales restriction" listed as "Over-the-Counter". Does this mean it can only be bought in-person at a SC?

@zyzzxander mentioned that he's 2.5 hours from the nearest SC, so I'd wager spending an extra $80 might be worth avoiding the 5 hrs of driving to pick up a part.

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but can individuals order parts from Tesla through a SC as long as they pick them up in person? (I assume no home shipping.)

I searched the 1081037-01-F part number on epc.tesla.com and found the part, although its price is not listed (maybe I don't have access to see it?) and it has a "sales restriction" listed as "Over-the-Counter". Does this mean it can only be bought in-person at a SC?

@zyzzxander mentioned that he's 2.5 hours from the nearest SC, so I'd wager spending an extra $80 might be worth avoiding the 5 hrs of driving to pick up a part.
I'm not sure. My SC is minutes away. I would assume they can ship parts. "Over-the-counter" just means they'll sell it to you no problem.

But $80 extra to buy from eBay is more expensive than just having mobile service come replace it. (OP mentioned a $52.50 labor fee that was waived). Especially since they'll cover tow hook covers and window switches under warranty.

Mobile service isn't available in my area, alas. I've found a few switch assemblies on eBay, and I've decided to wait for the official estimate in my app. If it seems terribly high, I'll order an assembly, and pull the door panel. I haven't managed to find any sort of pictures or YouTube videos showing how that assembly comes out yet (not sure if it's screwed in, held by clips, etc), but I imagine I'll have a better idea after the panel is out. If I can order the assembly from Tesla for less than the eBay prices, that's awesome. I can also see the part on epc.tesla.com, but I don't see an ordering method other than "over the counter." I'll try calling to see if they'll ship it.

Mobile service isn't available in my area, alas. I've found a few switch assemblies on eBay, and I've decided to wait for the official estimate in my app. If it seems terribly high, I'll order an assembly, and pull the door panel. I haven't managed to find any sort of pictures or YouTube videos showing how that assembly comes out yet (not sure if it's screwed in, held by clips, etc), but I imagine I'll have a better idea after the panel is out. If I can order the assembly from Tesla for less than the eBay prices, that's awesome. I can also see the part on epc.tesla.com, but I don't see an ordering method other than "over the counter." I'll try calling to see if they'll ship it.
Man, worst case, you can Zelle me the money, I'll pick it up and sent it your way. DM me your email and I'll send you the replacement instructions

• Love
Reactions: EVNation