Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Broken Power Window Switch Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I learned to complete a lot of maintenance and repairs myself years ago on several cars I’ve owned and I couldn’t Allier for it. I couldn’t even begin to estimate the untold small fortune of dollars I’ve saved myself over that time. You learn that these repairs are childishly simple to do yourself in most cases. I’ve been to a dealer only a handful of times for more significant things, but refuse to be nickel and dimed.

Reactions: Jo060
Sounds like you'll be better off doing your own repairs then. Auto repairs from a "dealership" have ALWAYS been expensive and ALWAYS will be. I'm not sure if Tesla is any different, but from ICE dealerships you can expect 500% - 1000% mark up.

again, there's no issue with the actual cost of the repair here...my beef is with them charging $100 to "diagnose" what the problem is when the problem is already known.

the switch is broken and needs to be replaced. there is no diagnosis that needs to be done, therefore no basis for that extra $100 fee.

Somehow I managed to crack part of one of the plastic power window switch buttons in my Model 3. I must have Hulk fingers. :p

When I first noticed something was wrong, I was trying to raise the front-passenger window via the switch in the driver's door when I realized (A) it wasn't working, and (B) the button felt loose. At this point, it could still lower the window, but not raise it.

When I got home, I pulled out the plastic switch button out to investigate what was happening (it came out pretty easily), and found that some small bits of plastic appeared to have cracked off. (In the photos below, I've circled the areas where it looks like material cracked off. I'm pretty sure the two protruding bits on either side are supposed to be mirror images of each other.) And it appears that these bits that cracked off are what interfaces with the switch mechanism itself.

So I guess I'll be scheduling an appointment to get this fixed. Hopefully they'll be able to replace only the broken button and not the whole (probably expensive) switch assembly. But I'm not feeling terribly optimistic.

Anyway... since I couldn't find any reports online of this happening to anyone else, I figured I'd share in case anyone else runs into this same issue in the future. I'll post updates if/when it gets fixed.

View attachment 544919

View attachment 544920

View attachment 544921
My rear driver side window switch broke in March 2022. It is rarely used, so this is disappointing. My car is a 2018 Tesla 3 with VIN x33.

My front driver side four window switch one of the switches broke. Ordered the part from local service Center and followed the service manual instructions to remove and replace. A bit tricky to take out the one inner clip of the window switch module, but now it’s brand new.
This just happened to me (Apr '18 8xxx - Driver Side Switch - Passenger Window Button). Just passed 4 years so no more warranty for me. Pretty disappointed this broke so early on. Hopefully they've redesigned this part to be stronger. Seems like this is happening to older models. However this is the first real thing that's broken so I can't be too upset.

Do you mind sharing how much you purchased the part for? Do you know what section in the owner's manual you found the instructions? Link?

Also does anyone know if you can replace the door open buttons? I believe they now come illuminated with a door open symbol that I would definitely look into replacing. Way better than my vinyl decals that you can't see in the dark!

This just happened to me (Apr '18 8xxx - Driver Side Switch - Passenger Window Button). Just passed 4 years so no more warranty for me. Pretty disappointed this broke so early on. Hopefully they've redesigned this part to be stronger. Seems like this is happening to older models. However this is the first real thing that's broken so I can't be too upset.

Do you mind sharing how much you purchased the part for? Do you know what section in the owner's manual you found the instructions? Link?

Also does anyone know if you can replace the door open buttons? I believe they now come illuminated with a door open symbol that I would definitely look into replacing. Way better than my vinyl decals that you can't see in the dark!
Section 1150 - Door Glass and Regulations -> Switch - Window - Driver (Remove and Replace) in the service.tesla.com service manual for the Model 3.
Part: DOOR WINDOW SWITCH, DRIVER GLOSS (1081037-01-F)
Cost $48.00 CANADIAN dollars plus tax at my local service centre.

1660168207348.png

1660168219925.png

1660168232717.png

1660168242274.png

1660168249859.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jsmay311
Section 1150 - Door Glass and Regulations -> Switch - Window - Driver (Remove and Replace) in the service.tesla.com service manual for the Model 3.
Part: DOOR WINDOW SWITCH, DRIVER GLOSS (1081037-01-F)
Cost $48.00 CANADIAN dollars plus tax at my local service centre.

Thanks this was really helpful. Like an idiot I was trying to find the information in the Owners Manual! Just got my hands on the service manual, but I'm not seeing the same information. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction? Trying to teach myself how to use the manual in the future.

Maybe our manuals are slightly different but I couldn't find that section. And the search, well it didn't do anything! Also curious if they have something about replacing those door open buttons!

Thanks!

1660170285278.png

When you're logged into the service manual, on the very right search. Type Window switch. And the correct section will pop up.
Thanks. I tried the search before but it wasn't pulling anything up. I had to clear it out multiple times with the X. Odd...

Also found the other thing that I want to replace. Given the replace part price and my ability to actually do this! Want to have the door symbol illuminated which didn't exist for my early version.

Thanks again.

1660185038440.png

Reactions: akidesir
I was able to get Tesla to fix this for me. The technician mentioned that you can sell the broken switch online because they're repairable. He mentioned that previous owners requested to leave the broken part behind. Has anyone seen this? If so can you point me to a listing? I wasn't able to find anything myself.

Same thing for me as in the original post. I have a May 2018 Model 3 with only 41K miles so under the mileage but over the 4 years. Seems like a design flaw. I scheduled service today so it will be interesting to see how much they want to charge. May end up doing it myself.

Are you saying we need to replace the entire unit of four switches because the cap on one switch broke off? I was putting my driver's side front window up today, and the cap popped off into my hand. I cannot seem to get it to lock back down on the switch. Even when I have seemingly settled I properly, so it is flush with the neighboring switch cap, as soon as I lift it at all, the cap is off again in my hands. It doesn't look broken, but I can't figure out how to get it to snap onto the switch and stay. So now I must put car in park and use the app to close that window. Seems like a lot of $ for a keycap repair if I need to replace the whole unit.

If there is some trick to reinstalling the cap, I would be delighted to hear it!

Thanks.